Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Screwed by 2 Dealership excuses...Void Warranty...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
pramana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed by 2 Dealership excuses...Void Warranty...?

I never did any major repair on the car. The Z was fine unti I got annoyed by the noise on the transmission.

I visited Foothill Nissan (La Cresenta, CA) to have 15k maintenance service and checked the trans noise. Supposely, the tech checked my transmission, trans oil and other miscellenous inspection. the result was normal.

2 months after that, I got paranoid and visited Valencia Nissan (Valencia, CA) to check the same noise on the transmission. The noise was so obvious when the clutch was released from the pedal after I started the engine. If I engaged the clutch, the noise disappeared.

To my surprise, Valencia Nissan claimed that the oil on my transmission was not the correct one. I could not believe it because eventually Foothill Nissan should inspect my transmission oil when I did the 15k maintenance service. Foothill Nissan NEVER mentioned about my transmission oil problem, etc.

The worst is, Valencia Nissan voided my warranty due to mismatch lubricants on the transmission.

I am very upset and do not know what to do. I do not want to drive my car for another 50k when I know the most problem on this car is transmission.

Currently, it shows 19549miles.

Please Help..!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:44 PM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like they are taking advantage of you. I would go to Valencia Nissan, get what they told you in writing, and go to the first dealer, and say, "Hey, you checked it, I didn't mess with it, now it's busted, you fix it."

Also keep in mind that MANY early 6-speed trannies have had noise/grinding/shifting problems, and are usually just replaced. What you experienced may simply be that problem, and the second place was too ignorant/lazy to deal with it (I don't know why, they don't want to fix it, they get paid to by Nissan). They are on the third major redesign of the transmission, and there are TSB's (Technical Service Bulletin; it's a notification the dealers get about known problems) about this. Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:45 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Performance Nissan. It'll be worth the drive.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:49 PM
sunhita

Thanks guys for your responds.

Since Valencia Nissan stated that my warranty is voided, I called Nissan of North America and filed a claim. I do not if this is the right things, because I am panic.

Anyway, Valencia Nissan only replaced the trans oil on my Z and charged me $35.00 for the diagnosis and oil replacement.

I feel it is not fair. The problem is not fix, but I paid $35.00 for NOTHING !

Also, if I go to Performance Nissan, will it do the service? To whom do I have to talk to?

I am very disappointed and confused.

Thanks for any helps.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:15 PM
510dat

there are several of their employees here on this board, one is Jeff@performance, I forget the other guys name (it's also "sombody@performance). They both post pretty regularly, so you should be able to find them and send them a Priveate Message, and they can tell you who to talk to. Best of Luck
Old 07-15-2004, 01:33 PM
boxsterkiller

Take it to Rick Del Roasrio, Service Advisor, Performance Nissan (626) 305-3000 and talk to Jeff "The Man", Parts Manager and throw in the Nismo Flywheel. If you do the cement mixer sound is normal with flywheel.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
pramana

Actually I paid $49.95 for the Trans Oil replacement, instead of $35.00.

After everything was set and done, the Trans is not shifting as smooth as before the oil replacement.

So, I am suggesting to you guys that already hit 30k or higher to think twice before replacing Trans Oil. Because my Sentra SE-R also had the trans shifting problem after the trans oil changed.

Probably I may not drive this car far beyond 60k miles. I will let it go and move on.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:24 PM
hfm

Default Re: Screwed by 2 Dealership excuses...Void Warranty...?

Are you one of those people with multiple names and avatars? Are you pramana or are you sunhita? Maybe you'll be less confused if you first start off by using one avatar. You can't come across clearly here while using two avatars.

Your contacting Nissan North America is the correct thing to do. You need to provide them with the stories you've been getting from Foothill and from Valencia.

However, your facts are totally confusing. Did you pay $35.00 or $49.95? And, why are you even complaining about that? Obviously, if you're having transmission problems, a $50 or less expense shouldn't be your biggest concern.

If Valencia voided your warranty, that's the first thing you need to address with NNA. If it was voided because you had the wrong type of oil, then the question is, where did that oil come from? Was it from Foothill? And, if Foothill says, no we put in the right oil, then the question is, did you have your transmission serviced anywhere else? And, if the answer to that is no, then either Foothill or Valencia is lying and taking advantage of you.

You need to get your facts straight and get your warranty reinstated, assuming the problem really wasn't due to your fault or due to some other mechanic. And, until you've got some clue as to what is going on and have the warranty issue resolved, I have to say, I don't envy Jeff or any other dealership that is expected to handle this mess.

You want advice: figure out what happened by discussing this with the service managers at both dealerships. Sorry if I'm not sounding as nice as some of the other members here but, it's not possible to help someone who doesn't know the facts of his own problem.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:12 PM
pramana

The issue is none of those dealership were willing to take the responsibility. Pointing finger did not solve my problem. Even NACC Reps just told me that my case was on file. That was it !

I took the car to Foothill Nissan because of the "deal"was happening on that time. Later (due to driving distance from where I live and hassle of car-pooling), I took back the car to Valencia Nissan to take care the trans problem.

I am sorry if I am not a car savy, but is a mechanic able to tell the different between manual trans and automatic trans oil when he pull them out from the pan? Or the worst scenario is the oil in my trans was vegetable oil, instead of trans oil, so the case was so obvious?

My sense is thinking that No one will be willing to declare himself as foolish and willng to take the responsibilities when he knew the consequences is too high, such as GET FIRED !!!!

To tell the truth, I cannot tell the different between 92 Octane gas and 87 Octane gas, even I bought them about twice a week for more than 20 years. I just trusted the pump sign and without any doubts fill-up my car.

Will Nissan void my warranty if the gas station put the wrong octane on the pump?

Come on..., any lawyer can make a case on any incidents.

However, now the victim is ME !!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:44 PM
hfm

Originally posted by pramana
Come on..., any lawyer can make a case on any incidents.

However, now the victim is ME !!!!
First off, a good lawyer will screen a case and a client before they agree to accept the matter. If the attorney doesn't think the case has merit, that attorney isn't going to waste his time.

As for the victim being you, okay, let's say you are the victim. Why don't you get your facts together so you can figure out what you're going to do next?

There are two possibilities:

1. Valencia Nissan is right. This means, either Foothill Nissan or someone else put in the wrong oil.
2. Valencia Nissan is wrong. This means, for reasons unknown, they intentionally voided your warranty, possibly to have you repair your transmission on your own dollar. That makes very little sense because, although the work done under warranty is a little less than if paid by the customer, someone over there must really be out to screw you because the dealership would still get paid by Nissan.

Let's assume for your benefit, that Valencia Nissan is right. This suggests that Foothill Nissan may have screwed up. If that's the case, then that's the reason why NNA should restore your warranty and you should have your transmission problems repaired.

It comes down to this: did you in fact have the wrong transmission oil, and if so, where did it come from?