Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Crap, my first gripe, acceleration problem at 1,300 miles......

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:56 PM
VeeTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap, my first gripe, acceleration problem at 1,300 miles......

I was driving down the road when I noticed that the smooth silky feel turned into a kind of unsteady hesitation, though slight as it was.

When I stopped at the next light and started to go, I noticed a pretty obvious drop in power under normal acceleration, where as before the car would go eagerly and smoothly, now it feels much less eager, and even seems as if you are straining it if you push the gas harder at all. It also seems as if the rpms are rising much slower.

All this at only 1,300 miles. I broke the car in easily, and normally drive slower than the average driver, so it has not been abused or anything, but this problem is driving me crazy.

I thought at first that maybe it was the gas, but I used a different station, and the problem still exists. On some occasions it feels as if its going to run normal again, not quite all the way, then it reverts back to the straining mode.

I guess I will have to let the dealer have it for a day or two, which concerns me as I don't trust dealers.

There have been no SES lights or anything. Ideas?
Old 07-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Audito350Z

do you have Random Technology hi-flow catalytic converters on the car???? this is exactly how the car behaves when the RT cats fail....

if not, then you may have the cam-gear issue... there was a TSB a while back, and it was thought to be earlier VQ35 engines that had the problem... but, it would do the same thing you are experiencing

Hope that helps...

PeteH
Old 07-04-2004, 01:20 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you did get a bad batch of gas it could be that the fuel filter is clogged. I would think that low fuel pressure with trigger CES light. Do the exhaust tone sound any different? Does it idle normally?
Old 07-05-2004, 09:38 AM
VeeTec

It seems to idle a tad bit higher, and not quite as steady, like around 1K, instead of the previous 700 rpms.

The exhaust sounds quieter, but I have the stock cats.

I will let everyone know what the dealer says.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:35 AM
VeeTec

The car has been running much better today, after $10 worth of Racetrac gas, it actually feels normal now. Maybe there was too much water in the gas, as we have had a lot of rain, and the older stations tend to accumulate more H20 then the newer ones.

I even drove a brand new 6 speed at the dealership, and it didn't feel as strong as mine before or after break in.

That said, all apears to be well.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:15 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

When mine suddenly lost a tremendous amount of power in first and second gear in the lower RPMs, I did this: http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm and it fixed my problem.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would go with bad gas and the knock sensor retarding the ignition timing causing your lack luster performance.