Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Ok who's got the most "JDM" looking Z on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jdm is getting played out. what i dont gt is why somebody would pay $300 for a jdm mirror that looks almost the exact same. like every trend, it gets played out. the 1 thing jdm is though, is it is a subtle look.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are we talkin JDM? or JDM aftermarket? cuz there is a difference. one is pretty much how the Z comes from the factory to japanese (maybe other places too) owners. MOST of the "mild" parts that people add onto Zee's are still too crazy for being called "JDM". that civic posted a couple posts ago is pretty much JDM minus the wheels.

its wierd, cuz we all do JDM, and all the japanese peeps do "spo-com" now... which is the opposite. they try to emulate how AMERICANS mod cars. with crazy paint jobs, WILD body kits etc....

I JUST WANT GUNIT999999 TO ANSWER MY DAMN QUESTION I POSTED 3+ WEEKS AGO!
-how did he do that burnt titanium look to his arc radiator shroud, cuz ive been wanting to do that to mine since i got it.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350

I'm sorry, Superblack350, no offense but I'm going to have to side with porschefan on this one. As a automobile designer myself, the comparison of appearance/style/design of an EK generation civic coupe to that of an E36 BMW is an insult to all car enthusiasts of any caliber. Porschefan did the best response with the image of the acuvue and glasses. The rear window is absolutely not similar to the BMW rear window. The E36 side character line cuts through the front fender wheel arch, while the Honda character line floats above the front fender wheel arch. The rear E36 side windows have the characteristic "BMW-kink" whereas the Honda has the traditionally drab obtuse angle cutoff. The rear BMW tails take on a rectangular quick cornered shape while the EK honda is a softer, elongated pill-shape. And of course the front panels of the car are easily distinguishable.

Ultimately, to say that these two cars relate, is to suggest that they "look the same" simply because they have a coupe profile, consisting of two doors, with similar front/rear overhangs and a rear-slung cabin proportion...and to say that, would be a very, very vague assumption.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
keioffice350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if subtle's the word...maybe some people would use clean...

But if there's one thing I learned from the car builders in Japan, it's that aesthetics need to be balanced just like handling and power needs to be on a car. The car's look also need to be "Tuned"

Deep Dish rims, and wide body kits(common "JDM" feature) can be very agressive to the eye, but there's a streamline to the whole setup.

Unfortunately, in America, we tend to go overboard. Seems many enthusiasts here want to put anything and everything on their car, just to make it "better" then the next person's. While they may have MORE (Common American disfunction - to always want more), parts/accesories etc, that often does not mean, better. Quite often it just points to how much someone understands the concept of improving on something.

In case this last paragraph brings it up, i am a proud American, Iraqi war vet, and still serve my country in the Army. But traveling all over the world, I can see what makes America so great, and how much our people squander and take for granted at the same time.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
teh_ginger

Ah, at last...the smart people come out to play.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jinsei888
I'm sorry, Superblack350, no offense but I'm going to have to side with porschefan on this one. As a automobile designer myself, the comparison of appearance/style/design of an EK generation civic coupe to that of an E36 BMW is an insult to all car enthusiasts of any caliber. Porschefan did the best response with the image of the acuvue and glasses. The rear window is absolutely not similar to the BMW rear window. The E36 side character line cuts through the front fender wheel arch, while the Honda character line floats above the front fender wheel arch. The rear E36 side windows have the characteristic "BMW-kink" whereas the Honda has the traditionally drab obtuse angle cutoff. The rear BMW tails take on a rectangular quick cornered shape while the EK honda is a softer, elongated pill-shape. And of course the front panels of the car are easily distinguishable.

Ultimately, to say that these two cars relate, is to suggest that they "look the same" simply because they have a coupe profile, consisting of two doors, with similar front/rear overhangs and a rear-slung cabin proportion...and to say that, would be a very, very vague assumption.
Object is from the eye of the beholder. LIke i said, me and my friend who owns an e36 m3 made this comparison. They look very similar in person and on the road. Of course a person with a better car would take it as an insult being compared to a civic. Even his dad said it looks like a civic. They don't look EXACTLY the same but they look very similar. maybe those pics dont' do it justice though.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by porschefan1013
Ah, at last...the smart people come out to play.
just because people agree with you doesn't make them smarter.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
teh_ginger

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
just because people agree with you doesn't make them smarter.
They aren't "smart" because they agree with me. They're smart because they know how do more than type a few words on the keyboard and pray for a sentence and something coherent to appear out of their jumbled mess. They also don't use bass ackwards logic. They put some thought into their post.

That Civic and M3 look alike in the same way that 2 people look alike...they both have arms, legs, eyes, a mouth, a nose, etc. If you squint really hard, then yes, they look alike...they are both black and have two doors.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 PM
SuperBlack350z

They aren't "smart" because they agree with me. They're smart because they know how do more than type a few words on the keyboard and pray for a sentence and something coherent to appear out of their jumbled mess. They also don't use bass ackwards logic. They put some thought into their post.

That Civic and M3 look alike in the same way that 2 people look alike...they both have arms, legs, eyes, a mouth, a nose, etc. If you squint really hard, then yes, they look alike...they are both black and have two doors.
mmmK.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
pinoiZ

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
jdm is getting played out. what i dont gt is why somebody would pay $300 for a jdm mirror that looks almost the exact same. like every trend, it gets played out. the 1 thing jdm is though, is it is a subtle
look.

WTF is wrong with you man!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
keioffice350z

I was just thinking...you could look at it this way:
JDM is to sports compact what Hip-hop is to music. Dope when done right, but unfortunately, most people...don't.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Zridder19

Am I missing something here? My car makes sound, not noise.

What suspension are you on??

Skyjacker 4" lift??
Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohSIXz
I JUST WANT GUNIT999999 TO ANSWER MY DAMN QUESTION I POSTED 3+ WEEKS AGO!
-how did he do that burnt titanium look to his arc radiator shroud, cuz ive been wanting to do that to mine since i got it.
Sorry, never saw your question.. here's a quick tutorial I wrote

http://www.mike-lee.org/scripts/disc...tm?search=1801
Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
groovin_350z
Sleeps in 350Z

lets get this thread back on topic

thanks everyone for all the kind compliments. makes me feel all warm inside. hahah

all the cars posted in this thread are AMAZING. u guys sure know how to set the bar.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's so contradictory about it? JDM this...JDM that. It sounds so stupid. Why does it matter what "domestic market" it's from. A nice looking body panel or interior piece is a nice looking body panel or interior piece. We don't go calling things German Domestic Market. A manufacturer is a manufacturer, regardless of where they're from. If a company makes a good part, buy it. About the only things "JDM" have become synonomous with are rice-tastic dream machines with green and yellow paint jobs, tacky mismatched spoilers and fart cannons.

It's a shame your opinions are so ill-conceived, yet you're so vocal about them

We don't care what BMW call parts in their "realm". People here don't mod their cars based on what BMW owners think or whether BMW owners get it. Most of us are CAR people here. We like what we like. For some, we prefer the JDM theme of doing things. Some people truly grasp what that is, some don't. I suspect you fall into the latter, like many owners here, and think more is better, and perhaps have never really seen what "true" JDM style is all about. Less is more is the JDM mantra when it comes down to it. I am a BMW "guy" too to some extent (we race 2 of them). And believe me, I see some absolute DRECK when it comes to BMW "tooning". Do I troll their forums and comment? I've got better things to do with my time.

Perhaps before you make a comment about what a true JDM car is and what it embodies, you should ask someone to explain what the theory of JDM means. You don't understand it, and as such, you shouldn't be commenting on it. I wouldn't go to a BMW forum and start bashing the pics of cars people post. It's rude, and it's in poor taste.

Based on your past posts (in other threads), you come off as a very bitter person. It becomes obvious when you look at the adjectives you use in many of your other prothelitizations. Get yourself a tick tack, maybe a therapist or a yoga book, lighten up a bit, and just look at the pictures if you cant contribute anything worthwhile. It's supposed to be fun to mod and fun to share. If you can't contribute to the fun.......

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
It's a shame your opinions are so ill-conceived, yet you're so vocal about them

We don't care what BMW call parts in their "realm". People here don't mod their cars based on what BMW owners think or whether BMW owners get it. Most of us are CAR people here. We like what we like. For some, we prefer the JDM theme of doing things. Some people truly grasp what that is, some don't. You I suspect fall into the latter, like many owners here, and think more is better. Less is more is the JDM mantra when it comes down to it. I am a BMW "guy" too to some extent (we race 2 of them). And believe me, I see some absolute DRECK when it comes to BMW "tooning". Do I troll their forums and comment? I've got better things to do with my time.

Perhaps before you make a comment about what a true JDM car is and what it embodies, you should ask someone to explain what the theory of JDM means. You don't understand it, and as such, you shouldn't be commenting on it.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by g-unit9999
my car is mad RHD JDM fo' realz
Domokun in bottom left hand corner of this pic makes it the most JDM.

/thread.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 AM
03BrickyardZ

I actually read part of this thread...

And ROFLMAO at "JDM theory".
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I really wonder how some people here even have the mental capacity to operate basic functions of their body...in your case, I'd imagine breathing is a bit of a struggle. And for the record, I have called nothing in this thread rice.
How did you know I have Asthma You really have nothing better to do. Maybe I should be offended by your kidish comments and ask for a ban?? Maybe that was a threat

Chris
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by keioffice350z
But if there's one thing I learned from the car builders in Japan, it's that aesthetics need to be balanced just like handling and power needs to be on a car. The car's look also need to be "Tuned"
THERE IT IS!!!

Quick Reply: Ok who's got the most "JDM" looking Z on this forum?