Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Did some painting under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys!

To paint it, I didn't remove it fully. Originally I wanted to disconnect everything, but I didn't want to deal with the coolant lines going to the throttle body and I didn't have the right size allen wrench available to remove it. I taped off the TB with painters tape. I unbolted the plenum, held it up, and placed masking paper all over, including under the plenum so it could sit in its normal spot without getting paint everywhere. Masked off the rear of the engine bay and below the plenum as well with the masking paper. Scrubbed it down with a scotchbrite pad and cleaned it with Wax&Grease Remover. Let it dry fully for about 10 minutes, then painted 3 coats of black.

As for the strut bar, I used a spraypaint called Anodizit. You can find it at a local auto parts store probably. It comes with a metallic gray base. The topcoats come in a few colors, but I chose "anodized" blue. Looks amazing in person. After two coats of base and two coats of top coat, I let it dry for about 30 mins then finished it off with 3 coats of spray clear. I did not see this as a time to open a can of auto clear, so I just used spraycan.

Same process with the heatshield.

I sanded both strut bar ends and heatshield down with 400grit wetanddry.

I used this for my plenum: (gloss black)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 PM
VQpoweredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't understand why you would put elemental designs logo on your engine. Wouldn't that go somewhere near your audio equiptment, not around the engine bay?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
chromesilver6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say ditch the cover. Looks so much better with out it.