Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

FL to VA then Back to FL...start with some Ptape

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default FL to VA then Back to FL...start with some Ptape

Im headed home for 10 days and its around a 920 mile drive. Therefore I have to cover my car in painters tape to help protect from the elements like ROCKS.
It finally stopped raining at midnight so I felt the urge to start taping, its not done so just use your imagination and think it is.

Im leaving in about 7 hours and figured some of you might have some crever sh*t to put over top my tape. Im horrible with coming up with ideas so I figured I should ask this crowd

Next update will be when I get back..hopefully with lots of pics of the car in the country and such.

Last edited by zerafian; 05-31-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 AM
dennisafrompa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should just wrap it in plastic and keep it in the garage.

I've taken many cross country trips covering 10s of thousands of miles in my '08 Z and previous Porsche Boxsters and NEVER covered them with tape. They endured. Sure there was a stone chip or two, but really you can get chipped in local driving too.

This just seems so OCD. How can you enjoy the trip if you're that paranoid?

I'm leaving on a trip to Blowing Rock NC Thursday. There will be no tape and I'll enjoy my run down the Parkway.

In July I'll leave for Nashville and the Z club convention.....and again no tape. I might install the front mask for that run though, but maybe not.

Last edited by dennisafrompa; 06-01-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that front end looks expensive, tape it!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 AM
w0ady

if my front bumper wasnt chipped apart from the track and other trips, i might tape it but f it now.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your tape's idea is weak compare to these guys

https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...creations.html
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
omsin523

needs moarr tape!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Shawz1102

i dont believe in covering body panels in tape just because im going cross country. just dont drive behind semis and drive under the 3 second rule behind cars and you'll be rock chip free
Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnZ1102
i dont believe in covering body panels in tape just because im going cross country. just dont drive behind semis and drive under the 3 second rule behind cars and you'll be rock chip free
He left 3 days ago so I don't think he's going to read this. If I had spent as much as he did on his kit I would have covered it in bubble wrap.

LOL
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waizzz
He left 3 days ago so I don't think he's going to read this. If I had spent as much as he did on his kit I would have covered it in bubble wrap.

LOL
I'd cover it in bald eagle feathers.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
TSG-Z

I normally see people tape the front bumper, not just the hood/roof.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Doh-Joe

I'm getting ready for Zcon in few months. This wouldn't be a bad idea to have. Where can you buy the tape from?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
xthejokerx

^^^ these tape are not cheap.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wf
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by sofa king
I'd cover it in bald eagle feathers.
ROFL!!

Bump for OP's update on the out of town strange that he tapped.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
SilverFox006

Taping is incredibly puss. As stated above, driving on the highway is part of the game. I dont see ferrari's and lambo's taped up. But you're gonna spend hours taping up your kitted z/g ?!?! I know you have a very nice car you care about greatly, but that is just wasted time the way I see it...
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
nismo*son

seen a group of civics like this this week, lol'ed
Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 AM
litoflow

Originally Posted by Waizzz

LOL
lol i bet he spent a lot of money on that front end. If a girls virginity with all due respect can be fixed now a days, yours.mine.anyones Z can be fixed as well just my .02$

with that being said...

Bumper's will scrape, paint will chip, the Mighty sun will **** with your z, and Tito El Pingon will come and scratch ur z when ur gone so what the hell u gonna do about that haha,, nothing..couple rockchips here and there will do good to it. It adds character my friend thats how i see it. If you are too scare of getting rock chips just don't drive the z and leave it at home thats my opinion. At the end of the day, a car is just a damn car and one day it will die on you, is a waste of money machine where all u do is spend money and spend without getting it back. So what you do? Enjoy the ride while u can and kick that gas pedal till the end!!!

v/r
Lito
Old 06-15-2010, 04:09 AM
waltwhitman

Originally Posted by zerafian
Im leaving in about 7 hours and figured some of you might have some crever sh*t to put over top my tape. Im horrible with coming up with ideas so I figured I should ask this crowd

Next update will be when I get back..hopefully with lots of pics of the car in the country and such.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
zerafian

Update: Camera landed in water, lost pics, Rained the whole way up, tape flew all over the damn interstate.....I fail. As you can see I didnt do anything clever with the tape. I was running off 1 hour of actual bed sleep so I just said f*ck it.

During the trip up I had 3 people ask me if I had the tape on there because my bumper wouldnt stay on...I really wanted to say "wtf does my car look ghetto to you...I wouldnt drive the damn thing if the bumper only stayed on by using tape, dumbass!" But Im a nice guy so I just nodded and smiled.

Thanks to my awesome placement of my CAI I had to stop 4 times during the trip due to rain water all up in my intake...moving that to short ram asap!

Here she was finished tho...next time I do it Im taking one strip all the way across the car...the damn tape doesnt hold up in 90+ mph

Last edited by zerafian; 06-25-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
zerafian

Originally Posted by litoflow
lol i bet he spent a lot of money on that front end. If a girls virginity with all due respect can be fixed now a days, yours.mine.anyones Z can be fixed as well just my .02$

with that being said...

Bumper's will scrape, paint will chip, the Mighty sun will **** with your z, and Tito El Pingon will come and scratch ur z when ur gone so what the hell u gonna do about that haha,, nothing..couple rockchips here and there will do good to it. It adds character my friend thats how i see it. If you are too scare of getting rock chips just don't drive the z and leave it at home thats my opinion. At the end of the day, a car is just a damn car and one day it will die on you, is a waste of money machine where all u do is spend money and spend without getting it back. So what you do? Enjoy the ride while u can and kick that gas pedal till the end!!!

v/r
Lito
Yes to all of that...After spending 16 days home and driving around 3200 miles I came back with about 40 small chips ranging from barely noticable to pen tip size and a couple the size of a beebee. I plan on getting the bumper repainted the beginning of next year, then getting 3M tape installed on IT and my hood most likely.

Last edited by zerafian; 06-25-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by zerafian
Yes to all of that...After spending 16 days home and driving around 3200 miles I came back with about 40 small chips ranging from barely noticable to pen tip size and a couple the size of a beebee. I plan on getting the bumper repainted the beginning of next year, then getting 3M tape installed on IT and my hood most likely.

Damn, that sucks man.

Quick Reply: FL to VA then Back to FL...start with some Ptape