Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how does insurance coverage work for hail damage? im guessing its quite common and costly for insurance companies since so many cars are damaged by hail, do they have some special process for hail?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MeinVinyl
So, last night I had to drive my Z because my Civic is currently broken. It was only supposed to be raining but while driving I started hearing what sounded like rocks hitting my car. Turned into a CRAZY hail storm and ruined the OEM hood, roof, hatch, fenders and driver's side door is pretty much killed. Waiting to hear back from the insurance company on how much they're going to give me to get it fixed. One estimate is at about $8500 so far....
Wow dude, that is f*cked. Really sorry to hear

It's not common to see a brickyard Z anymore. What a waste of a unique color.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
MeinVinyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appointment on Wednesday morning. We'll see what they say. Planning on doing a very major remodel to the Z. I'm NOT going to let them total it. I love my car WAY too much for that. I'll fight it with everything I have.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang sorry to hear. You can't seem to catch a break
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

shoots man...hopefully things go in your favor...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 AM
MeinVinyl

Ordered LOTS of goodies for the Z and the insurance is letting me order parts for it to fix it and then have all of the PDR work done.

Carbon Fiber Roof Skin
Carbon Fiber Hatch
Carbon Fiber A Pillars
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
New rear window
New tint
PDR appointment is 5/8/13
Volant Intake
Kinetix V+ Upper Plenum
Fat Flat Front Strut bar
Lowering Springs - purchased off here actually

(I'm paying for the non cosmetic parts out of pocket)

I can't wait to see it all done in a month!

Last edited by MeinVinyl; 04-25-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM
MeinVinyl

Lots of stuff has been delivered now. Just waiting on the roof and the new exhaust tips since my were "defective"

Installing the hatch on Saturday hopefully, rear window installed Monday, roof gets here Tuesday and will be installed that night as well as the A & B Pillars. Car gets dropped off to have the PDR work and retint on Wednesday, I should be able to pick it up on Friday, put the hood & bumper on Friday night or Saturday after we do the suspension.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can of the finished product.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM
MeinVinyl

Pictures were not attached in the previous post for some reason
Attached Thumbnails 03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread-seibonhatch.jpg   03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread-a-pillars.jpg   03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread-b-pillars.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 AM
MeinVinyl

A small amount of progress
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
MeinVinyl

A little update. I actually have the new hood on the car as well, but took the pictures before putting the carbon fiber hood back on. We're getting there. The guy that was supposed to install the rear window never showed up so that pissed me off, but hopefully tonight or tomorrow and we'll be doing the bumper and headlights soon. Need to take it in for an alignment soon now that the new suspension is on as well. I'm not trying to be "hellaflush" so this is about as low as this car will be getting.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks really great, Mein. That carbon fiber goes well with the brickyard, and I love the whole set (hood, roof, b pillars, hatch). Normally I'm not big on the two tone look, but carbon fiber definitely gets a pass.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by lifekenophobic
Looks really great, Mein. That carbon fiber goes well with the brickyard, and I love the whole set (hood, roof, b pillars, hatch). Normally I'm not big on the two tone look, but carbon fiber definitely gets a pass.
Thanks. The rear glass was just installed a couple days ago. It's going in for new tint today. The Nismo V2 Carbon Fiber bumper goes in to the body shop soon to be polished up and then it should be back to being pretty.

Still debating on wheels as I want to go to 19s. I'd love to find a set of the 19" versions of the LMGT4s as I really like them, but have not had any luck. I may settle on the Varrstoen ES5 (BBS Reps). I've heard a lot of good things about that model and really like the way they look. I just replaced the tires on mine and spent close to $1200 just on tires, but the best offer I've gotten on the set was $1500 w/ tires... Just can't stomach that.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 AM
MeinVinyl

Bumper SHOULD be done by Friday, but here it is at the track this last Friday with the stock bumper and POS lip.
Attached Thumbnails 03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread-350zoverhead.jpg   03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread-350zshiney.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
fzero

Glad you got everything sorted out. I saw your carbon wrapping projects and wanted to give it a shot with the center console. Do you have any recommendations on places to buy the carbon fiber sheets and what kind of resin I should use. Also where did you order your v2 carbon lip bumper from since I'm looking for the carbon lip and canard setup but Shine doesn't sell canards
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by fzero
Glad you got everything sorted out. I saw your carbon wrapping projects and wanted to give it a shot with the center console. Do you have any recommendations on places to buy the carbon fiber sheets and what kind of resin I should use. Also where did you order your v2 carbon lip bumper from since I'm looking for the carbon lip and canard setup but Shine doesn't sell canards
I got my carbon fiber sheets from CJComposites on Ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/cjcomposites...84.m1438.l2754

I'd use Ultra Clear resin from PolymerProducts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310363364700...84.m1438.l2649

I got the bumper from a place in Japan. It was the last one unfortunately that they had. Cost me more money than I should have spent but it is really good quality.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the links, great job on the Z thus far
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM
fzero

Originally Posted by MeinVinyl
I got my carbon fiber sheets from CJComposites on Ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/cjcomposites...84.m1438.l2754

I'd use Ultra Clear resin from PolymerProducts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310363364700...84.m1438.l2649

I got the bumper from a place in Japan. It was the last one unfortunately that they had. Cost me more money than I should have spent but it is really good quality.
Thanks a lot for the information, I want to try out laying the carbon fiber in my interior first and see how well it turns out and eventually wrap a nismo v3 bumper lip. Just worried about all the center sills getting in the way.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by fzero
Thanks a lot for the information, I want to try out laying the carbon fiber in my interior first and see how well it turns out and eventually wrap a nismo v3 bumper lip. Just worried about all the center sills getting in the way.
Kevlar/Carbon is easier to lay in a solid piece, but carbon is easier to lay when you have to have relief cuts around things like the sills.

Personally, I'd order a "sample" before ordering a chunk and do something simple like a plastic cup and see if you can do that first. I'm spent hundreds of dollars and my kevlar interior just sits in a box in the garage now. It's far from perfect and I'm going to have it all redone in Carbon Fiber and hopefully by Carbon Fiber Element. AMAZING stuff and I'm sure you've heard of or seen his work.

Either way, the V2 bumper has to go back into the body shop for a little paint issue and I ordered new ballasts and new 6000k bulbs as well. Still trying to figure out which headers I want to go with as I already have the Berk test pipes waiting to go on. Also trying to find the right wheel setup for my needs as well. I'm only looking to go 19x10/11 +22 as I don't want a lot of camber but would prefer a lot of rubber on the road.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM
fzero

Yeah I've seen Tonester's work and it looked great, seems like people were getting quoted 550 for the waterfall. I emailed him about it but never got a response so I started looking into doing it myself, it would be a good weekend project to keep me busy anyhow even if it didn't come out perfect.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM
MeinVinyl

Tried some new lighting last night... Let me know what you think

Quick Reply: 03 Brickyard 350Z... Build Thread