Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Rusty's Slow Build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020 | 03:50 PM
rustyschopshop

Also to add, don't plan on running sanctioned racing. just all fun stuff as funds allow.
Old 03-24-2020 | 04:07 PM
Jim Stephens

I am also looking at oil coolers lately. The guy at the Z shop mentioned to me that the thing to look out for is keeping the car cooled down. He said they tend to run "hot" on the track and oil cooler's and other improvements are a good thing to have in Texas. My son says I am always looking for the next "improvement project". I am going to hold off now with the job stuff going on, but I do have a 200 dollar gift card.... Like that Z1 under shroud.
Old 03-24-2020 | 04:16 PM
rustyschopshop

Considering doing more cooling items next time funds come up. I would love more power but trying to set up everything else first. Car is fun with the power it has now, will get a tune in the future though
Old 03-24-2020 | 07:07 PM
35th4me

Looks great Rusty! What exhaust is that? Where are you sourcing parts? I haven’t really looked at this site for awhile because I was getting some kind of computer virus. Last I saw your car was many mods ago. Very impressive to say the least.
Old 03-24-2020 | 08:09 PM
rustyschopshop

buybrakes, z1 and conceptz is where i am sourcing most. The front ultrarev brace i found on amazon. The catback is still the crap dna motoring i got from ebay 6 years ago. Eventually i will upgrade it. Do have kinetix high flow cats and tomei v2 headers though.
Old 03-24-2020 | 08:25 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Jim Stephens
I am also looking at oil coolers lately. The guy at the Z shop mentioned to me that the thing to look out for is keeping the car cooled down. He said they tend to run "hot" on the track and oil cooler's and other improvements are a good thing to have in Texas. My son says I am always looking for the next "improvement project". I am going to hold off now with the job stuff going on, but I do have a 200 dollar gift card.... Like that Z1 under shroud.
Its a balance - oil lubricates best around 200 to 215 degrees? plus or minus?

I went nuts on cooling with my previous greddy TT kits as they really heat up the engine bay. I've always believed a medium sized oil cooler is a step in the right direction. A buddy from another forum would say that coolant cools the engine block, while a oil cools the internal engine components, and what's cooling the oil?
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Jim Stephens (03-25-2020), rustyschopshop (03-24-2020)
Old 03-25-2020 | 05:30 PM
rustyschopshop

a/c drier and front fender liners installed today. Tomorrow should be rolling the rear quarters and installing the spl tie rods. For those that have missed the pics. There is a pic dump above from the last week or so.
Old 03-25-2020 | 08:05 PM
GreyZ

Highly recommend. I also Highly recommend doing it with a thermostatic port if you do a oil to air cooler.

If I were to do it again I would do it with a non thermostatic port and a laminova cooler rather than a oil to air cooler but hindsight is 20/20.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Stephens (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020 | 04:03 AM
Jim Stephens

Ok, never even was aware that a laminova oil/water cooler existed. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 03-26-2020 at 04:17 AM.
GreyZ (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020 | 03:54 PM
rustyschopshop

Spl tie rods installed today. Getting close to rapping up these projects.

Old 03-27-2020 | 02:10 PM
rustyschopshop

Had a pin hole in the driver's side heater hose. Replaced with napa 3/4 silicone and a constant tension clamp at the firewall. System rebled.
Set the front end down on blocks with the wheels on, tomorrow will set the rear on blocks and do a driveway alignment. Am considering getting a corner balance but may just an alignment. Big difference in price. May go with the grip alignment first and let the suspension settle and decide from there wether i want it corner balanced or not.
Old 03-28-2020 | 11:07 AM
Jim Stephens

Looking like a new car in that picture there! Of course way better than a new one with all the upgrades!
rustyschopshop (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020 | 11:21 AM
rustyschopshop

Looking like a new car in that picture there! Of course way better than a new one with all the upgrades!
Undercar is looking so much better than factory. Still thinking i will want more upgrades on the suspension next year.
Did my driveway alignment and took her out for a quick spin around the block. Initial cruising was similar to my tokico hp/sportline combo. Once i pulled out onto the main road and started to accelerate the rear was not dropping like it use to as much, very glad i don't have 8k springs in the rear like the BR's come with. First corner coming off the main road i took just over 20mph and the car stay very flat. Very impressive. Thanks Mic for the sway bar setting recommendations!!!! After i progressed a little further and had room and no traffic on the street started driving slalom and holy crap!!! The handling and responsiveness of the car now is rediculous. Never realized what i was missing. Now i can really see how good these S04 tires are. Gonna drop a little tire pressure next, set too high currently 38psi. Where i liked it before. Gonna go down to 34. Also need to put in another spacer on the tie rod to get the misalignment correct.
Overall, very pleased i spent the money they way i did on the suspension. Also still need to go out and bed the brakes.
bealljk (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020 | 11:29 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Undercar is looking so much better than factory. Still thinking i will want more upgrades on the suspension next year.
Did my driveway alignment and took her out for a quick spin around the block. Initial cruising was similar to my tokico hp/sportline combo. Once i pulled out onto the main road and started to accelerate the rear was not dropping like it use to as much, very glad i don't have 8k springs in the rear like the BR's come with. First corner coming off the main road i took just over 20mph and the car stay very flat. Very impressive. Thanks Mic for the sway bar setting recommendations!!!! After i progressed a little further and had room and no traffic on the street started driving slalom and holy crap!!! The handling and responsiveness of the car now is rediculous. Never realized what i was missing. Now i can really see how good these S04 tires are. Gonna drop a little tire pressure next, set too high currently 38psi. Where i liked it before. Gonna go down to 34. Also need to put in another spacer on the tie rod to get the misalignment correct.
Overall, very pleased i spent the money they way i did on the suspension. Also still need to go out and bed the brakes.
Are you looking for any squat in the back on acceleration?

I, too, have 8ks in the back but I think mine doesnt act as well-behaved as yours as I have less weight over the rear wheels.

You probably mentioned it somewhere - but what are you running upfront?

I better read that post by Mic too! Mic for President!!!
Old 03-28-2020 | 03:14 PM
rustyschopshop

Spring Rates: 12K Front / 5K Rear
this is the ds series

this is why i didn't want the br's
Front Spring: 180-14K

Rear Spring: 180L-12K

A little squat is good to transfer weight, but i had so much squat that i was add 2 degrees camber minimum during acceleration. My son had shot video for me to see. Am still getting some squat just not as much. I did drop my tire pressure today just have not test driven yet. Ended up washing my z and 2 other cars and celebrating with some beer. I do need to add more misalignment spacers to my spl tire rods before i take it in to get my alignment done. Overall very impressed though. After i drive some miles may adjust the compression/rebound but trying to avoid till i know everything is where it is supposed to be
bealljk (03-28-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 12:10 PM
rustyschopshop

Haven't been feeling good lately so haven't gotten my alignment yet. Did however change my damper setting f/r to 16/30. Ride is buttery smooth even on rough roads. My father inlaw rode with me and couldn't believe how good the ride was. Was very impressed. Even without a professional alignment, steering wheel is staying perfectly straight and holds straight hands off wheel going down the road. Only issue am having is pushing in the turns which i know an alignment will resolve.
bealljk (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 12:20 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Rest up Rusty! You got a long summer ahead of you! Hope you feel better soon!
rustyschopshop (04-07-2020)
Old 04-08-2020 | 10:25 AM
rustyschopshop

Drove almost 40 miles today, loving the z's ability now. After getting my VA lab work done, my son and I headed over to Texas Track Works to chat with the guys and set up my alignment appt for friday morning. Can't wait.
Old 04-08-2020 | 03:14 PM
Rinzlark

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Drove almost 40 miles today, loving the z's ability now. After getting my VA lab work done, my son and I headed over to Texas Track Works to chat with the guys and set up my alignment appt for friday morning. Can't wait.
I had Texas Track Works set up my alignment after rebuilding the suspension and installing coilovers, would hands down recommend them to anybody needing suspension or alignment work
rustyschopshop (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020 | 03:31 PM
rustyschopshop

Never had the privilege of having work on a car of mine yet, of course this is changing. Have known many people to have work done there and have refered many as well. Cannot wait !! After 4-500 miles am planning on going back for a corner balance.

Quick Reply: Rusty's Slow Build.