Notices

For those that went to TX Z Party this past weekend or been to MSR Houston before....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
cyc5181

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default For those that went to TX Z Party this past weekend or been to MSR Houston before....

So my first time on the track with the Z went really well, at least I didn't break anything (the track, the car, or anyone else's). My question is, does anyone know what is the avg lap time in MSR? I know the black nismo ran a 1:49.xxx best lap time. Well, my friend clocked me several times with a cell phone and looks like I'm running in the 2:05.xxx consistently (pls don't laugh.....) Did anyone else know what their lap times are? I'm just wondering if I'm running extremely slow, slow, or about average. I tried to stick to the lines that were given during first lapping session for noobs as much as possible. The only mod I have on the Z is a set of SS brake lines. Anyone else wanna share? Or any advice on how to catch up that 20sec difference????
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Ataru074

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyc5181
So my first time on the track with the Z went really well, at least I didn't break anything (the track, the car, or anyone else's). My question is, does anyone know what is the avg lap time in MSR? I know the black nismo ran a 1:49.xxx best lap time. Well, my friend clocked me several times with a cell phone and looks like I'm running in the 2:05.xxx consistently (pls don't laugh.....) Did anyone else know what their lap times are? I'm just wondering if I'm running extremely slow, slow, or about average. I tried to stick to the lines that were given during first lapping session for noobs as much as possible. The only mod I have on the Z is a set of SS brake lines. Anyone else wanna share? Or any advice on how to catch up that 20sec difference????
the only videos with information I found are:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/s...for_642726.htm
and I guess those guys are from houston performance driving.
I'm pretty sure they were running R compounds or slicks ( hoosier R6 or similar... I don't know)

than:
http://www.vimeo.com/3767785

this guy is from houston performance driving too.. and he's an incredibly good driver. I'm sure he can hit 1.48 or less knowing the track better. (on R compounds.. I thinks he runs toyo R888 or yokohama AD48)

about myself I think I'm quite close to the limit of the Z and 1.48 is possible learning a better line over that "speedbump" and without being a chicken$hit at the end of the back straight an going in the sweeper faster.
with good R compounds I expect a 1.46.xx

btw.. going back to you.
2.05.xx is good for a first timer on a track.

let's say that with a pretty much stock 350z I think that 1.55 would be a nice result... so you need to find those 10 seconds... and the only way to find it is....
spend more time tracking your car.
the only REAL mods you need are:
good brake fluid, good brake pads (hawk HP+, ferodo ds2500 or similar clubsport grade pads), maybe braided brake lines.
that's it. simple like that.
than.. seat time, seat time, seat time and get all the instruction you can.

as I said in another 3d... you can't win against the experience.
there were guys with 100 or 200 (and over) my WHP on that track and I was passed ZERO times.

the REAL way to learn how to go fast... is learn how to go SLOW.
I mean.. learn how to be smooth in your driving, learn to feel the weight transition of your car, learn how to let your car settle down when you go into a corner, learn slowly how to apply the right amount of throttle when you get out of a corner... all of this while you try to stay on the race line.
focus on that... and speed will come.
speed is the result of learning how to handle car dynamics.
speed isn't a factor, is just a result.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I found the book _Going Faster_ by Carl Lopez very helpful, after I had done several track days.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-M...5906535&sr=1-1