Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

5k launch on drag radials...owned

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006 | 06:51 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

sorry to hear bob,try telling them you were at a redlight and you took off kinda quick you hit standing water spun the rear wheels and then hit dry and all of a sudden boom.
Old 03-13-2006 | 06:59 AM
SilverstonE-O6

Ahhh yea , very good ideas you guys, thanks
Old 03-13-2006 | 06:59 AM
bboypuertoroc

Damn man, that sucks. Tell them you were at the track and dumped the clutch at 5000 rpm's on some drag radials... no wait, don't say that.
Old 03-13-2006 | 07:21 AM
pdjafari

hmm i dunno if the dealership will buy any story in terms of axle breakage. but i think if you relatively stock for the most part and give them a hard time about how an 06 axle breaks blah blah blah, you should be good to go. good luck!!
Old 03-13-2006 | 08:59 AM
BamBam

Bob... How did I miss this.... I am sorry to hear about the incident.

I guess even with my HP I have been pretty lucky to be running stock tires these first couple of times out... The first time last year I had a pretty bad wheel hop that I SWORE busted my axle. But it only rattled me.

Saturday, I was pretty good, no hopping but still a lot of spinning.
I obviously need some more work with my launching before I hit those big DR's I am getting.

Anyway, maybe next time we can hook up at the track as a group and not scattered like this weekend. This way we can race, wait I meant learn from each other ...
--B
Old 03-13-2006 | 10:41 AM
sq40

Originally Posted by Alberto
They sanpped because he dumped the clutch on a warm day, really sticky tires. In this situation, something has to give. His tires didnt, they had plenty of tarction his clutch didnt (cuz ztock clutches are beasts) so hi saxles did.

To preload the clutch/drivetrain for a high rpm DR/slick launch, put it in 1st gear. Release the clutch to the point where your Z wants to start to move. Then push the clutch in just enough to keep it from moving forward. In other words, you will be launching starting with the clutch right slightly loaded and ready to disengage. Now even if you drop it, it has some preload on it, and hopefully, you wont snap an axle/break something. Many FI Z's do this, and power out of the hole with a quick slip and pull 1.7 60ft's on stock axles. Others at 260whp have the clucth to the floor, 4000rpm's, let the clutch out fast = SNAP This has been launching 101
Makes perfect sense, Thanks for the primer!!
Old 03-13-2006 | 11:30 AM
raptorbh12

ya know.. if you bought my slicks that wouldnt have happened...
Nowell show em what Hoosiers are all about when you hit the track this season...
6k drops at the track and my axles are still solid. too bad everything else seems to break...
Old 03-13-2006 | 01:59 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverstonE-O6
I feel about as confident about this as a fat b*tch in a bigwheel race.

Dude, I don't mean to laugh at your misfortunes... but that was funny right there.
Old 03-13-2006 | 03:49 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by raptorbh12
ya know.. if you bought my slicks that wouldnt have happened...
Nowell show em what Hoosiers are all about when you hit the track this season...
6k drops at the track and my axles are still solid. too bad everything else seems to break...
Workin on it. Had a bit of a fuel leak today, shredded a belt yesterday. All in all, I have the UR crank pully on with new belts, and the fuel leak fixed. Now just need to give it a few test runs and see how it all comes out. Hoping to hit a dyno this weekend, but we will see what happens this week.
Old 03-13-2006 | 03:55 PM
RobertH

i was at the track in december. i was launching on stock tires an broke one of my axles with only borla td, and nismo intake. needless to say nissan did not cover it.
Old 03-13-2006 | 04:03 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by Nowell
Workin on it. Had a bit of a fuel leak today, shredded a belt yesterday. All in all, I have the UR crank pully on with new belts, and the fuel leak fixed. Now just need to give it a few test runs and see how it all comes out. Hoping to hit a dyno this weekend, but we will see what happens this week.

So the twin bottles of pure fun are in? How did the install go?
Old 03-13-2006 | 04:35 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by Integrity
So the twin bottles of pure fun are in? How did the install go?
All in all, im happy with it. Did it over the course of the weekend, took my time, wired it a few times. etc etc. Not real happy with the engine bay (some of the steel braided lines are a bit long, but what can you do), and think I want to remount the jet on my intake to a different position.

The bottles turned out decent, working on cutting the carpet a bit and putting some trim on it to give it a clean, almost stock look. Still have access to the spare also. Ill get pics when I get it all finished. My passanger seat is still filled with plastic molding that I have to put all back in (engine bay, winshield grill, dash, etc).
Old 03-13-2006 | 04:39 PM
Twan79

To preload the clutch/drivetrain for a high rpm DR/slick launch, put it in 1st gear. Release the clutch to the point where your Z wants to start to move. Then push the clutch in just enough to keep it from moving forward. In other words, you will be launching starting with the clutch right slightly loaded and ready to disengage. Now even if you drop it, it has some preload on it, and hopefully, you wont snap an axle/break something. Many FI Z's do this, and power out of the hole with a quick slip and pull 1.7 60ft's on stock axles. Others at 260whp have the clucth to the floor, 4000rpm's, let the clutch out fast = SNAP This has been launching 101[/QUOTE]

Hey Dude thanks for lauching 101 lesson. Should have know this why I was racing my cousin in an 02 Mustang. All I did was dump the clutch.
Old 03-13-2006 | 05:44 PM
xenonk

Originally Posted by SilverstonE-O6
haha im pretty sure the axles. I can put it in gears, but can get no power to the wheels to move the car. Plus it was a LOUD snap when I launched heh. Just going to tell them at nissan that i was messing around on the street and they broke off a light. As long as they dont know i was at the track and i dont have the radials on there when i take them the car, i should be straight. All they can see is True dual exhaust and lowering springs in that general area. I know some people up there, so I should be ok. Just bought the car in november

better clean off those shoe-polish numbers off the windows before you send it in
Old 03-14-2006 | 05:22 AM
SilverstonE-O6

HAHA yea, Already cleaned em off and also cleaned off all the traction compound/rubber in the wheel wells. Switched my stock tires back on. Getting it towed there today after I show up for my Job interview there Kinda awkward, but from what the tech told me, I should be ok. Apparently i spoke to "the right tech". Ill let you guys know what happens.
Old 03-14-2006 | 09:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Twan79
Hey Dude thanks for lauching 101 lesson. Should have know this why I was racing my cousin in an 02 Mustang. All I did was dump the clutch.
No problem...
Old 03-14-2006 | 06:39 PM
rockinbboy

aaaaaaaaah.....that is some scary $hit! Broken axles...6k launches...

Well, good luck with the repairs and job interview Bob.
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:32 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Bob-UPDATE man! Whats the deal with your car?
Old 03-15-2006 | 01:20 PM
SilverstonE-O6

:Phone rings:........
Me: Hello?
Nissan Rep: Robert?
Me: Yes.
Nissan Rep: You snapped your left axle. Those modifications you have done to your Z produced to much power for your stock axles to handle We shouldn't cover this because of your modifications, but I will this time and this time only. You must have launched your car to hard. Be careful, dont let it happen again. We cannot refund your tow cost though.
Me: I didnt launch it, it stalled and jerked forward....
Nissan Rep:......You launched it to hard and snapped your left Axle. Your modifications gave you a considerable amount of power over stock and your axles cant handle that. Ill have your car done by 6.
Me:.....Thanks.

He told me about all my mods. Plenum spacer, intake, test pipes exhaust. HAHA this guy actually knew what he was looking at. He also suggested that I get a camber kit lol fukin smart *** But yea, they covered the axles. Warranty: 1 Nissan: 0 Wonder whats next
Old 03-15-2006 | 01:41 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

damn that guy is pretty cool...my dealership would say **** off

Quick Reply: 5k launch on drag radials...owned