Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

5k launch on drag radials...owned

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006 | 11:09 AM
SilverstonE-O6

Default 5k launch on drag radials...owned

Yes, at MIR yesterday, I hit a beast *** burnout and had no idea at 23psi the radials would be so damn sticky and stiff. Was launching at 4-4.5k all last weekend with no problems. I didnt take the 75+degree weather into consideration. Launched at 5k and didnt feather it out what so ever and SNAP!. My day ended with a $263 tow from MIR back to my house in pasadena. Switching back to stock tires and having it towed back to the Nissan dealership. GOGO WARRANTY! Dont be a tool like me and get to confident about your traction on radials, they will turn around and eat your car/day alive. The picture above, says it all.
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:17 AM
jetspank

Dude, that sooooo sucks! Think they're gonna scratch their heads at the dealership and ask ya some pointed questions? Definitely let us know how it all works out . . .
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:19 AM
wong hun xun

what broke?
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:23 AM
bigbri

Originally Posted by wong hun xun
what broke?
Are you joking???? His AXLES!!!!
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:24 AM
SilverstonE-O6

Originally Posted by wong hun xun
what broke?
haha im pretty sure the axles. I can put it in gears, but can get no power to the wheels to move the car. Plus it was a LOUD snap when I launched heh. Just going to tell them at nissan that i was messing around on the street and they broke off a light. As long as they dont know i was at the track and i dont have the radials on there when i take them the car, i should be straight. All they can see is True dual exhaust and lowering springs in that general area. I know some people up there, so I should be ok. Just bought the car in november
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:48 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

I was there.. it was ugly..
Old 03-12-2006 | 01:40 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

lol bet your glad you didn't go with the slicks, or you could be adding the drive shaft, and a few other parts to that list!

Sorry to hear about the bad news though! You get any pulls at all? If so, what did you do time wise?
Old 03-12-2006 | 01:52 PM
Sam405

lol... that must of suck sorry to hear that =/
Old 03-12-2006 | 04:18 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

LMAO Bob, I hope Nissan doesnt give you $hit on replacing it. I didnt know you were such a race newb or I would have told you "ALWAYS PRELOAD THE CLUTCH"

Originally Posted by Nowell
lol bet your glad you didn't go with the slicks, or you could be adding the drive shaft, and a few other parts to that list!
You dont know much eh

Alberto <---- has tons of 6000pm's launches on slicks and no issues
Old 03-12-2006 | 04:51 PM
Integrity
Banned

Sorry to hear about your car Bob. Are you going to upgrade the axles or just replace them?
Old 03-12-2006 | 07:23 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by Alberto

Alberto isn't taking his car to the dealership is he?
Old 03-12-2006 | 09:53 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto

Try it with 15psi or boost..
Old 03-12-2006 | 10:16 PM
SilverstonE-O6

Yea, ill keep you guys updated. Yes I got careless and thought I could launch like that cause of how well I did the last weekend, but then again, it wasnt 78+ degree weather then. Oh well, ShxT happens. Im having a friend of mine bring me into the dealership tommorow so I can lay down my "story" and give them some hell about my "Faulty" axles =P The sound of the axles snapping at the line is still ringing in my head. I'll be ready for the **** I will get from you guys next time we get together haha. Wish me luck yall, Ill keep you posted

Bob - AKA - Track Noob
Old 03-12-2006 | 10:48 PM
Sean

maybe you can tell them you were teaching your wife to drive stick, high rev, foot jerked clutch= snap
Old 03-13-2006 | 05:11 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Nowell
Alberto isn't taking his car to the dealership is he?
People blame slicks/dr's for axles breakage, truth is 90% of the time its driver error-no offense Bob When you dont preload the clutch/drivetrain you "shock" the clutch/tranny/driveshaft/axles. There are many people on these baords who run slicks/dr's NA, and no issues. Also many "experienced" FI Z's with over 400rwhp on slicks and no issues. Its all in how you launch it. Perfect example is Briguymax-he accidently sidestepped the clutch in staging and snap-that was NA. Now he has 460rwhp and has had no issues pulling 1.7 60ft's on DR's (stock axles), launching correctly. That was my point-dont be that guy blamimg the tires

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Try it with 15psi or boost..
I will be running soon on slicks-9psi. You of all people should know what I said above is true.

Bob-good luck today man, keep us updated.

Last edited by Alberto; 03-13-2006 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2006 | 05:27 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

I wasn't blaming tires, I was blaming driver error, with tires, could have been much worse =)
Old 03-13-2006 | 05:28 AM
sq40

Surprising to me that the Axle would snap with a near stock setup..

I am not a drag racer (or racer for that matter) can you give me some detail of how to pre-load the clutch and how to avoid snapping the axle?
Old 03-13-2006 | 05:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by sq40
Surprising to me that the Axle would snap with a near stock setup..

I am not a drag racer (or racer for that matter) can you give me some detail of how to pre-load the clutch and how to avoid snapping the axle?
They sanpped because he dumped the clutch on a warm day, really sticky tires. In this situation, something has to give. His tires didnt, they had plenty of tarction his clutch didnt (cuz ztock clutches are beasts) so hi saxles did.

To preload the clutch/drivetrain for a high rpm DR/slick launch, put it in 1st gear. Release the clutch to the point where your Z wants to start to move. Then push the clutch in just enough to keep it from moving forward. In other words, you will be launching starting with the clutch right slightly loaded and ready to disengage. Now even if you drop it, it has some preload on it, and hopefully, you wont snap an axle/break something. Many FI Z's do this, and power out of the hole with a quick slip and pull 1.7 60ft's on stock axles. Others at 260whp have the clucth to the floor, 4000rpm's, let the clutch out fast = SNAP This has been launching 101
Old 03-13-2006 | 05:57 AM
SilverstonE-O6

Yea, I got careless and dumped it instead of loading it, which I usually ALWAYS do cause ive known about snapping on radials for a long time now, I just wasnt paying attention. Still thinking of an excuse to give them. It will be really dumb if they say " You have a aftermarket exhaust and a intake filter, so your warranty will not cover your axles" But im getting a ride up there today to talk to one of the techs. Any ideas on what to say to them? (the cause of the breakage) Any input would be great. I feel about as confident about this as a fat b*tch in a bigwheel race.
Old 03-13-2006 | 06:43 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Girlfriend or signifigant other was learning to drive a clutch, blah blah blah.

Quick Reply: 5k launch on drag radials...owned