Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Results are in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Zincognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Omar! I'm officially an IT but an E-4!!!!! Too bad that i am now SIQ and dont feel like doing ANYTHING. Neal, perhaps we will do something tomorrow to celebrate. hit me up. see you guys around...

G
Old 06-02-2006, 09:30 AM
GMZ

Congrats to you too buddy! SIQ with what???? You better be feeling good tomorrow! Dont know if BG is going to work out, supposed to rain. Well see
Old 06-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Zincognito

Some sort of bad viral infection.....? Stop by if youd like. lol
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM
GMZ

Bad viral infection! Uhh I have some things to do here Need to get my uniforms taken care of though
Old 06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am SIQ also, just had the nerves in my back burned to kill the pain. I will be good as new tomorrow though, Just sore as hell right now... The Percocet is helping though!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
kpiskin

In short, depending on whether you enter military service as an officer or enlisted depends on you. If you want to go the officer route, you need to make sure you ask for an officer recruiter. Since you already have a college degree, that should at least get you in the door for an interview. Since enlisted recruiters are much easier to find, you will probably encounter them first. The thing is, they have quotas, and if you really want to go officer, they will try to talk you out of it so they can meet their recruiting goals. Just state your firm desires up front if that's what you want. Going aviation shouldn't be a problem, but you don't typically get to pick your airframe anymore. The reason for this is because a long time ago, the jets got the best guys, and all the rest were the lesser qualified pilots. So now they tend to spread the wealth more, unless something has changed since I last spoke to an aviation program candidate. So what I'm saying is if helos are your true desire, there may be a way to get into them through the Navy, but it isn't guaranteed. Your best bet for going helo would be to apply for the Army Warrant Officer Aviator Program.

Originally Posted by gNaRKiLL
Quick question if you dont mind. What exactly can a college degree do for you in the military? What I mean is I will be done next may with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, and am thinking military, but I want to fly helicopters and then later on be an aerospace engineer. Would I enter as an officer trainee or regular enlisted, and does anyone know what it takes to become a Helo pilot education wise? Ive looked into it but they are kind of vague about the procedure and requirements, and well I dont want to sit down with a recruiter just yet.
Not tryin to steal your thread, but I figured it would be a good place to ask.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
NASTY_Z

Originally Posted by Zincognito
Congrats Omar! I'm officially an IT but an E-4!!!!! Too bad that i am now SIQ and dont feel like doing ANYTHING. Neal, perhaps we will do something tomorrow to celebrate. hit me up. see you guys around...

G
SIQ with a viral infection that sucks man but it doesn't sound like something a little alcohol won't cure Ill be in touch with you tomorrow man
Old 06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
RUZRIOUS

Congratulations bro you can tell i havent gotten on in a while.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Zincognito

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I am SIQ also, just had the nerves in my back burned to kill the pain. I will be good as new tomorrow though, Just sore as hell right now... The Percocet is helping though!
perhaps you will able to come out and play?? i forgot to mention that the DTP guys didnt think you could get your problem fixed through warranty . little did they know...lol
Old 06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

he is the one that suggested I try the warranty LOL

I still let Ross do the aftermarket work on my car. He does excellent work and gives military discount.

I might be able to meet up for a little while tomorrow at around lunch time. Father in law will be here and my wife leave for deployment on Monday so my weekend is sort of squeezed. After this weekend I am free to hang out every weekend though.

I am planning a trip to Forged/CP Racing around the first week of July if anyone would like to go down for a little while maybe we could make a cruise of it.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Zincognito

They seem like good people, atleast i got that impression from them.

If you can meet up with let me know where and what time. if you dont have my cell# ill PM you it. Sorry to hear about wife leaving, not the easiest thing to deal with.

A trip to Forged? where is it located? if we are not out to sea, ill join you. im always up for an adventure. take care

G
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 AM
ings350z

a road trip.. MAN my car needs to be finished NOW..lol..

Congratulations to all who picked up...........hope to see everyone soon with my new look. ....
Old 06-03-2006, 06:33 PM
GMZ

Jeez, even my Dad is now trying to tell me to go LDO! Maybe Ill look more into it
Old 06-03-2006, 07:04 PM
kpiskin

I applied for LDO, but didn't get picked up, then applied for OCS inbetween LDO selection cycles and got picked up for that instead. I haven't looked back since and am very happy with my decision and what I'm doing. I tell anyone who might be interested in commissioning to apply for any opportunity you can because after you're in, you can change designators (rates), switch from CWO to LDO or regular etc to whatever makes you happier (obviously you compete for slots).

If any of you guys ever consider commissioning, I'm more than willing to discuss it with you. Planning early is key for getting into khakis (E7-O10).
Old 06-04-2006, 07:07 AM
GMZ

Originally Posted by kpiskin
I applied for LDO, but didn't get picked up, then applied for OCS inbetween LDO selection cycles and got picked up for that instead. I haven't looked back since and am very happy with my decision and what I'm doing. I tell anyone who might be interested in commissioning to apply for any opportunity you can because after you're in, you can change designators (rates), switch from CWO to LDO or regular etc to whatever makes you happier (obviously you compete for slots).

If any of you guys ever consider commissioning, I'm more than willing to discuss it with you. Planning early is key for getting into khakis (E7-O10).
Hmm this is interesting. Id like to shoot for Chief then go Warrant Officer, then from there who knows. Ill be in for a while no matter what though!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 AM
kpiskin

When I first considered commissioning, I thought similarly. This was because I loved what I did and CWOs are supposed to stay within their specialization. Unfortunately for the Navy this is no longer really true. CWOs for the Navy are really more like regular division officers who get paid less than their countparts (if you compare to O1E-O3E). So basically same, if not more responsibility, but less pay. Obviously you'll make more than if you're an CPO, but I would only use CWO as a springboard to other officer opportunities. This is just a personal desire, because I always strived to obtain command.

I am also not saying you should become an officer for the money, although it's impossible not to take that as a considering factor. Please do not think I am knocking the CWO community because I think we need them. The problem I have is that CWOs (only talking Navy here) are no longer relied upon for their specialties. Those duties are falling more and more to the CPO community, and CWO hard coded (billet purity) is diminishing. However if I were a Chief, I'd apply to both CWO and LDO hoping to make either with the intention that once I did my minimum time as a CWO, I'd apply for LTjg. If I were E4-E6, I'd be applying for Seaman to Admiral, and continue working toward a college degree so I could also apply for OCS in case I didn't get one of those opportunities. That way, if you're still enlisted once you've exhausted Seaman to Admiral or OCS opportunities, you can still apply for LDO as an E6, and Warrant at E7. The other thing to remember is that, timing is everything, and most Sailors apply at least three times for commissioning programs before getting selected. This means you shouldn't get upset or disgruntled if you don't make it right away. Remember that you are competing against several thousand applicants. I hope all that makes sense. Maybe we can talk more about it at one of our local meets if I can get to one. I've been really busy lately with work, school at night, and the kids activities so regrettably I haven't been able to make it to any other meets since the Williamsburg trip.

Last edited by kpiskin; 06-04-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:58 AM
GMZ

Yes it all makes perfect sense. I have a little thing about being a GMCM someday, but I dont know, I also have to think about my life after the Navy and being in the Officer Corps will be better for me in that end. Yes we will have to have a nice chat at the next meet Thanks for the info, good to have things from your perspective (and my prospective?) position.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:54 AM
NASTY_Z

Kpiskin Check your PM when you get a chance
Old 06-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

holy ****, just checked my wifes profile sheet and she scored a perfect 80 and was in the 99 percentile...... YAAAAAAAAA MORE MONEY!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
kpiskin

Do they still automatically audit 80s?

Quick Reply: Results are in!!!