Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Only an American car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006 | 04:41 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Default Only an American car...

I was out for a drive the other day, and on my way home about 2 miles from my house I hear/feel a "pop". It sounded/felt just like something puncturing a tire and I thought to myself "Here's the excuse I needed to put new rubber on the snake." I pulled over, got out and checked all the tires to see which one was flat. None of them were flat, but I'd noticed that my steering felt exceptionally heavy when I was making the turn off the road. I get back in the car and notice that my water temp gauge needle is heading for the red and in a hurry. I knew I didn't blow a coolant hose because there was no steam or anything. I decide to just get the car up to speed and coast on home (with no power steering.) I get 'er in the garage, pop the hood and what do I find? The crank pulley/harmonic balancer have fallen off the front of the crankshaft and are laying in the bottom of the engine bay (the steering rack kept it from falling off the car entirely)!!! The serpentine belt was just sitting on the other pulleys, completely loose (thus no cooling, power steering, etc.)

I came to find out that this is not an uncommon occurence for Vipers and that the bolt was under-torqued from the factory (torque is supposed to be 250 ft-lbs).

Anyway, here's a few pictures of what the car looks like right now as I try to get this fixed. A buddy of mine has the necessary torque wrench/socket to put this sucker back on.

Gotta love it!

ETA: The hood on this biatch weighs a good 6 to 8 times more than the hood on the Z. I was able to remove the stock hood and install the CF hood on the Z by myself, whereas it took my wife and I to get this one off and in the house (and we almost dropped it because it was getting too heavy for her...not good considering that a replacement hood painted and installed is over $20K!!!)

Last edited by kcobean; 09-05-2006 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2006 | 04:46 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Old 09-05-2006 | 05:25 AM
savvy

that would make a killer weight saving mod though....but 20K is just stupid
Old 09-05-2006 | 05:46 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Damn Mr K. not good! If you need a hand getting anything done let me know... I can swing by
Old 09-05-2006 | 06:36 AM
Vinny@VTR

ouch...if u need a supercharger while the hood is off let me know
Old 09-05-2006 | 07:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Looks like the Snake bit you...
Old 09-05-2006 | 07:15 AM
arlingtonz

Damn Kelly...sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully you and your friend will be able to right that.

Seriously, 20K for a new hood? That is crazy...guess you have to pay that much when you are driving an "exotic", the price to play...
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:13 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mdracer76
Damn Mr K. not good! If you need a hand getting anything done let me know... I can swing by
Mike,
Once I get everything retorqued and back together under the hood, I will need your help. It took every ounce of strength Tammy had to get the hood off and in the house without dropping it. Getting it back on is going to take two men. I'll give you a shout later this week. Thanks my brotha!
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:14 AM
abui01

Looks like u're gonna hafta get urself another Z!
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:18 AM
Integrity
Banned

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Kelly, atleast nothing is seriously broken and you didn't lose the original crank pulley.

I think we're spoiled by the hood on the Z. Its not a normal car hood, its more of a "frisbie."
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:18 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by arlingtonz
Damn Kelly...sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully you and your friend will be able to right that.

Seriously, 20K for a new hood? That is crazy...guess you have to pay that much when you are driving an "exotic", the price to play...
As sad as I am to say it, yep, about $20K from the dealer. It is ridiculous. They can be had cheaper via Ebay, but you know how that goes. In all honesty, there is a great aftermarket hood out there, which if something happened to this hood, I would buy. It's (only) $5k and it's an awesome looking hood.
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:25 AM
arlingtonz

Originally Posted by kcobean
As sad as I am to say it, yep, about $20K from the dealer. It is ridiculous. They can be had cheaper via Ebay, but you know how that goes. In all honesty, there is a great aftermarket hood out there, which if something happened to this hood, I would buy. It's (only) $5k and it's an awesome looking hood.
Wow...5k for a hood? I am thinking that maybe I should start a replica body kit business strictly for the snake....bet there would be some good money in that one

If you need help, and Mike isn't able to, I would be more than happy to lend a helping hand at any time. I wouldn't want to see a 20k investment geting dinged-up.
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:31 AM
05-Z

250 ft-lbs....incrediable hulk time!
Old 09-05-2006 | 09:02 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Integrity
Sorry to hear about your bad luck Kelly, atleast nothing is seriously broken and you didn't lose the original crank pulley.
Yeah, I think if the pulley had fallen out the bottom of the engine bay, it would have done some serious damage as the car ran over it. The pulley/balancer weighs a good 20 pounds.
Old 09-05-2006 | 09:04 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by arlingtonz
Wow...5k for a hood? I am thinking that maybe I should start a replica body kit business strictly for the snake....bet there would be some good money in that one

If you need help, and Mike isn't able to, I would be more than happy to lend a helping hand at any time. I wouldn't want to see a 20k investment geting dinged-up.
Thanks Brett! I'll only drag you out from Arlington as a last resort, but you're welcome to come out anytime and we'll go for a spin...The Viper really is a different experience than the Z. It gives me a real appreciation for the different approaches to "making power".