Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Withdrawal Symptoms...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

search around for a higher mileage 2003 base model 350Z. I've seen them from 15-17K with higher miles. drop in a after market LSD and do a ground up rebuild of the motor.

figure 30-35K total, and you'd have a total bad *** car.

15K for car 15-20K for mods =)

last thing I'd do is buy a brand new Z and start modding it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven1
But I still haven't seen you say 1 good reason to keep the EVO other than you like it.
I can think of a million things I love about my Evo. Thing is, the Evo only makes ME happy, while my wife hates having to look at it everytime she goes outside. She really misses having the Z and reminds me about it almost daily. The Z would make BOTH of us happy. But there would be a million things I would miss then also. Maybe I should stop being so selfish. Maybe she should get a job and buy herself one. In any case, I don't plan on talking to her about it since if I do it, it's gonna be a suprise for her.
Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
I've inserted every curse word I know in place of the *'s and I still can't put together what was said there.
The first is f u c k and the second is s h i t.
Originally Posted by Alberto
Def get her a Z-I mean she out launched you at the track, if you play your cards right, she may show you how to drive
Eat a fat one you hooker.
Originally Posted by jeffie7
search around for a higher mileage 2003 base model 350Z. I've seen them from 15-17K with higher miles. drop in a after market LSD and do a ground up rebuild of the motor.

figure 30-35K total, and you'd have a total bad *** car.

15K for car 15-20K for mods =)

last thing I'd do is buy a brand new Z and start modding it.
I thought about that but I just hate getting used cars. I absolutely hate it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I thought about that but I just hate getting used cars. I absolutely hate it.
buying a used car sucks when it has higher miles on it and you're going to keep it 100% stock and use it as your everyday car that HAS to run.

but when you're going to rip most everything out and replace it WHO GIVES A #@$#@$@

Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 PM
bboypuertoroc

^ True, but I like to know EXACTLY what's happened in the life of a car, and the only way to be sure would be to get a new one. Plus, if I do this, I'ma be a guinea pig for modding a VQ35HR.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
jeffie7

I'd like a walk thru on installing the VQ35HR into an 03. =)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is she going to feel if you start gutting it? Als Jeffie does have a good point. Figure if you sold your evo, im sure the retail on them is decent, and paid cash for a used 03 Z out the door. Still have about 10k in your pocket. There is your brand new built engine. No car payments, and you have a Z you could gut the crap out of like Jeremy =)

On the other hand, a new car is always good stuff! Can't beat the new car smell! LOL. I know what you sayin about having an untouched platform also. With the VQ35HR just make sure you dont put yourself in a position where you wish you would have gone back so you could slap on a turbo kit as soon as you had the cash, or you had parts you know would work, etc. When the HR comes out, there isn't going to really be anything for it. I doubt the Army pays you enough to be on the cutting edge to test stuff for the HR and take a chance blowing it or something.

Anyway, all lots of stuff to think about, and plenty of time to do so while the Evo is on the slow boat =)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your building, find a Z with a good body and def go used. Who cares if the motor has been ragged, it will be rebuilt!! I agree with Nowell on that one...
Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
xenonk

the one thing good about the evo is that you can learn to drive it to its known glory.. because it has soo much potential, it's hard to understand how much it really has.. you just know it has it.. I think if you spend more time with it, you can get soo much more out of that car than what you really know. It's up to you.. I like having a car that has soo many mods parts.. at least you know this way that you have a choice to custom tailor your car to your liking.. so if you dont want 700whp, and you want just 500, you can build it to just 500.. if you want normal shocks, you get normal shocks, if you want rally, get rally, if you want road race, you get road race..

that's the bonus to having a large support market. But the main thing to liking any car is understanding how much potential it really has by driving it to its potential...
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Osix350Z
Banned

Mike somehow found an Evo owner with Cerebal Palsy. I could left hand shift into the 11's with a set-up like that, that trap is no where near the power he claims...
Well man since you weren't there I can clarify the situation.. I talked to the guy right after his 12.1 @ 112, he was bouncing off the rev limiter in fourth before he was crossing line. That will easily bring his trap down a couple miles per hour.. On the street though when he shifted into fifth, it rolled man. We were really close but he edged me.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:48 PM
k3silk

Originally Posted by Osix350Z
Tony go with the Z .. Little piece of info for you that you might find interesting.. Dave retuned my Z the other night and I had a heads up race with a modded 9. He had a flash/full boltons and alch/meth, he was at 30 pounds. We went from a 2nd roll and he stole the hit, by 5th gear my nose was at his bumper then we shut down. Thing was FAST, he went 12.1 @ 112 hitting the limiter. Oh yeah, my turbo seals are going bad, chances are I'll be a bit quicker when I get my new one. Get a Z man, come back from the darkside. =) Do a Twin Turbo Vert..
True that i was there to see it. Get the Z you will have alot of the power you want but like many say when you get out and park it there is nothing like looking back as you lock your doors and seeing your Z.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
SekZee

I say, dont waste $$$ on a clutch/fw in the Evo-it will only be $$$ lost that could go to new things. I've always been a fan of the Evo, and I mean no offense by this, but I feel like it has an adolescent look to it, something I would have wanted back in High School or early college. Your getting older, you now have a 4 door beater, time to get back into the Z. Built blocks can be had for as little as $3000, and if you wanted used Greddy kits for $4000 or less. I too love the Evo's modding potential--->hp/$$ but almost every Evo has tbe/flash, which means you dont rock a unique set-up, I'll take a stock block turbo Z, over a tbe/flash Evo anyday. Now go trade that bucket in, and get a Z
omg...3gs for a built block and 5 gs for a greddy tt?? where???
Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
k3silk

its a little more then that just throwing some numbers out there of around what it could cost.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Basic built block is $3000-3500 NOT including about the same in labor. Greddy kits can be had USED For as little as $4000 in the For Sale section (marketplace) of the forums, then again, thats not including $2000+ for labor,and clutch/fw, guages, engine management,tuning-see how quickly it adds up? Before you know it your way over $10K and at the point of no return...
Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
SekZee

Originally Posted by k3silk
its a little more then that just throwing some numbers out there of around what it could cost.
khm...

im not a complete n00b in this stuff... I know how much it would all approximately come out at the end. I've done my research

never seen built blocks for 3 grand tho.

I know how much the installation will cost too... It doesnt matter... The actual parts for cheap is what matters for me.

well, whatever...

I can slap a TT on my stock engine anytime... and then pray to god every day so it doesnt blow on me everytime I accelerate from the traffic light, but there's no way in hell I'm doing it on a daily driver on a Z...its just stupid IMO.

3 grand for a built block sounds OK to me... lower then any price I have ever seen. Depends, ofcourse, on what kinda block it is... and what it has...

didnt want to be mean or anything, silk... just didnt like the way you said it, ofcourse theres no way for me to know what kind of attitute you had in your reply, but Im just sick and tired of some of the FI ppl bulleying the NA guys all the time on this board. Since everyone and their grandma with a Z going FI lately, the NA guys get disrespect all over the place.. But all we do is just trying to learn it the hard way.. the proper way, trying to do every single bolt-on by hand, trying to get as much NA hp as possible, just like YOU did (well not you in this case) before going FI.

heh... you might as well call this board myFId350z.com coz you freakin' own the board....

Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 PM
SekZee

sh!tty day guys...or week...or year...heh....

sorry...
Old 09-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Wow-damn Artem, I know Chaz didnt mean anything like that man...go take a few shots bro
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 PM
SekZee

thats what im planning on doing... coupla shots...

feel free to join me guys...drinks are on me...

ill be at mt. washington tavern ...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by SekZee
ill be at mt. washington tavern ...
Hmm, My old stomping grounds. I've watched a few good football games there.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
bboypuertoroc

Good Lord... I might have to sell it out here... for a brand new Evo IX MR it cost just over $47,000... I could prolly sell my Evo for more than it was being sold for in the mainland new. A GSR is 42,000 and the SE is almost 44,000, BTW.

I wonder how much the mark-up is for a Z out here...

Tony (will be checking on Friday)
Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

Z..z..z...z, Buy it.