Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Withdrawal Symptoms...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts
Default Withdrawal Symptoms...

Yes, you guys heard right... withdrawals. From the Z.

For the past few days I've been seriously considering getting another Z. Which would mean getting rid of my Evo. I'm not gonna go into the +'s and -'s of each, since no dumbasses exist in the Mid-A (well, not since the one of which we do not speak...), but some of the reasons that I traded in my Z for an Evo hold no ground anymore.

For instance, I bought a 4-door over here (even though it's a beater), so the "I needed a four door" is out the window. The **** I put in my beater would never see the inside of my Evo, which would be the same as me still having the Z. The dogs ain't riding in the Evo anymore since they can go in the beater without me giving a flying **** if they dirty ****.

Another one (you might think I'm crazy), the Evo being mod-friendly... it's TOO mod friendly, almost to the point where it takes the fun out of it. You don't get the satisfaction of having to progress towards great power... you just get it. Period. The Z, you gotta work at it. It takes time to get to the higher power levels, and the satisfaction (at least to me) would be greater. The interior... what can I do that's not already done? The steering wheel is already hot, the seats are PERFECT, the carbon fiber trim is nice. With the Z, I have many more options. The exterior of the Evo, to me, is hotness. Nothing needs to be done... as in, nothing (to me) looks better than stock except the Ralliart carbon lip. Everything else, you're just looking for an excuse to stand out. With the Z, even though it's hot stock, also looks hot with body mods.

Another one (and I think the major one) is my wife... she hates the Evo. Which in turn, pushes her further from the hobby. With the Z, she was all about it... she raced, she helped mod, she loved it. Honestly, she would **** herself if she woke up to a new Daytona Blue or Le Mans Sunset Z sitting outside the house. Also, getting her involved in it again would mean that I would more likely be able to accomplish my goals I would have for it (twins+build), since she would be willing to let me spend and also spend her own loot on it.

I don't know... maybe I'm just losing my mind. Maybe I'm just a car *****. Who knows. I'll see how it goes over the next few months with the installation of my clutch/flywheel, suspension and alky kit... maybe the instant gratification of power will snap me back into Evo mode. Maybe not. In either case, I'll wait 'till the VQ35HR is released or 'till the '06's need to move off the lots so I can pick up a Track on the cheap.

I know I can always come back to the Mid-A crew for advice/feedback... so let me know you all's thoughts.

Tony (it's 0142 and I can go on forever since I can't sleep anyways)
Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I say, dont waste $$$ on a clutch/fw in the Evo-it will only be $$$ lost that could go to new things. I've always been a fan of the Evo, and I mean no offense by this, but I feel like it has an adolescent look to it, something I would have wanted back in High School or early college. Your getting older, you now have a 4 door beater, time to get back into the Z. Built blocks can be had for as little as $3000, and if you wanted used Greddy kits for $4000 or less. I too love the Evo's modding potential--->hp/$$ but almost every Evo has tbe/flash, which means you dont rock a unique set-up, I'll take a stock block turbo Z, over a tbe/flash Evo anyday. Now go trade that bucket in, and get a Z
Old 09-26-2006, 04:33 AM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by Alberto
I say, dont waste $$$ on a clutch/fw in the Evo-it will only be $$$ lost that could go to new things. I've always been a fan of the Evo, and I mean no offense by this, but I feel like it has an adolescent look to it, something I would have wanted back in High School or early college. Your getting older, you now have a 4 door beater, time to get back into the Z. Built blocks can be had for as little as $3000, and if you wanted used Greddy kits for $4000 or less. I too love the Evo's modding potential--->hp/$$ but almost every Evo has tbe/flash, which means you dont rock a unique set-up, I'll take a stock block turbo Z, over a tbe/flash Evo anyday. Now go trade that bucket in, and get a Z
Thing about the clutch/fly, I need it. My stock clutch is no more good, and the kit I'm getting is only $600 for both.

I still don't think the Evo is "adolescent", because I don't see function in that way. But the Z is much more "mature" looking, while still being hella functional. The uniqueness is one thing that kills me... everyone has the same damn setup. If you stray from that, **** don't work right. The Z on the other hand, most any combo of parts work. And I would love the chance to go a different route than I did at first (which was dumb).

For the Z, now I have a much better idea as to what direction I would take it. As far as a built block, I'd be getting the sleeves done too, which would be much more than 3g's. Which is a prob for me, since it's hard to pull that in my profession. I'd want my engine as strong as possible. If I do get another 350, I'll be shooting for ~600whp. So that's when the $ starts piling up... fuel system, build, twins, supporting mods, suspension, wheels/tires etc... that **** adds up quick. With the Evo, a FRACTION of that cost would get me ~500awhp and what I need to support that (which would be new tires and an Exedy twin).

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; 09-26-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:35 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to mention, where you live, with a vert (im assuming thats what Lindsey really likes right?) would probably be much more fun then the Evo right there. Even if it starts out slower. Maybe your just going through withdraws because you dont have the Evo to drive out there yet? I know we talked for a long time about it on the way home after dropping it off, and you really do like the Evo. In my opinion go for what makes you happy. Get your Evo out there, drive it for a little while, then make the decision.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

600whp reliable is $20-25K in engine work/parts/labor only....this chit's not cheap. If you can spend that to be happy, then do it, if you truly can't figure something else out to keep you happy in a Z. Thing is, once you go boost, you never go back
Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 AM
bboypuertoroc

Exactly my point... not cheap at all. And trust me, I know all about the boost.

If I do the switch, it ain't gonna be a vert... I can't live with the weight. Hell, I'll be ripping out as much stuff as I can anyways (like sound deadening) to get as light as possible. I'ma do it with the Evo (if I decide to keep it) so I can shoot to get under 3000lbs... only need to drop 190.

Yeah Nowell, maybe it's cause she ain't here yet... like I said, maybe driving this slow-*** 89 Camry is sucking my life away.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 AM
TENGAI

Ditch the Evo, pick up a new Z...

I think that the Evo's are great tuner cars, but that like Alberto mentioned, it's got a more youthful soul to it. If you want something more refined and definitely unique, then the Z's the way to go.

If you wanted to be a little different, you could always get a G... LOL. Just thinking out loud .
Old 09-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Sly_Z

Damn Tony!! That salt water is ****ing with your head, son !

Just wait a few months to what the 07 Z will have then make your decision. That way you can plan your mods accordingly.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then again perhaps you are asking a very biased crowd here, try the Evo forums and see the results you get. Both cars are roughly priced the same so I suppose a person that can afford an Evo can also afford a Z, I dont think there is a huge age gap between the two groups if any at all. I'm sure you'll get a good set of opinions over there as well. However, in the end, you cant stick with a car you're unsatisfied with, it'll make you lose sleep at night (which has probably already happened). You just need to ask yourself what you want to do with it? I could list all the pros and cons of a Z and an Evo, but I think you already know what you want to hear. Perhaps you deem it a more worthy decision if we all tell you, "Get the Z!", but I dont believe I need to contribute to the answer that you have already sub-consciously made
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya, often wonder if I should trade to an EVO or STI because soooooo many times I wish for a trunk and 4 doors.

And I'll be the first to admit, haven't even drove either of these cars but I love the Z.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

Tony go with the Z .. Little piece of info for you that you might find interesting.. Dave retuned my Z the other night and I had a heads up race with a modded 9. He had a flash/full boltons and alch/meth, he was at 30 pounds. We went from a 2nd roll and he stole the hit, by 5th gear my nose was at his bumper then we shut down. Thing was FAST, he went 12.1 @ 112 hitting the limiter. Oh yeah, my turbo seals are going bad, chances are I'll be a bit quicker when I get my new one. Get a Z man, come back from the darkside. =) Do a Twin Turbo Vert..
Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by abui01
Then again perhaps you are asking a very biased crowd here, try the Evo forums and see the results you get.
HELL NO I'm not asking on the Evo forums... I won't get one good answer over there. Here, most of the people know me and I respect their opinions... over there people are gonna tell me I'm retarded for even considering it without taking into consideration the reasons for my thinking. I understand it's still gonna be a bit biased here, but nowhere near as much as over there.
Originally Posted by Osix350Z
Tony go with the Z .. Little piece of info for you that you might find interesting.. Dave retuned my Z the other night and I had a heads up race with a modded 9. He had a flash/full boltons and alch/meth, he was at 30 pounds. We went from a 2nd roll and he stole the hit, by 5th gear my nose was at his bumper then we shut down. Thing was FAST, he went 12.1 @ 112 hitting the limiter. Oh yeah, my turbo seals are going bad, chances are I'll be a bit quicker when I get my new one. Get a Z man, come back from the darkside. =) Do a Twin Turbo Vert..
Turbo seals going bad already? Did you buy the kit new? Like I said earlier, I'm not gonna go with a vert, too much added weight to worry about. BTW, it's good that you're getting your car dialed in even better. That Evo was prolly putting down between 375-400whp and up to 420ft-lbs. He easily has a ~11.7 (conservative) car. Awesome run.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Mike somehow found an Evo owner with Cerebal Palsy. I could left hand shift into the 11's with a set-up like that, that trap is no where near the power he claims...
Old 09-26-2006, 02:37 PM
bboypuertoroc

^ True, seeing as how I trapped 110 with approx 330 to the wheels.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Integrity
Banned

Tony, you loved your Z but you needed a more practical car. Now you have a pracitcal beater, so you've eliminated the reasons you had to get rid of the Z in the first place. However, you're still in love with the EVO. A terrible dilemma. Your situation is unique. The Z would make you happy, but so would the EVO. So if you're going to be happy either way, I think you should do what makes Lindsay happy.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM
bboypuertoroc

^ That's exactly how I feel about the situation. We'll see how it goes come January with the release of the '07's... her b-day is in Jan, maybe it's an omen.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Driven1
Professional

+1 She went all the way out there with you. You should make her happy as well. Ask her what she wants to do. Even if its not a Z (and its obviously not going to be the EVO) take her thoughts into consideration. But I still haven't seen you say 1 good reason to keep the EVO other than you like it. On the other side, you have come up with many reasons to get the Z. Its up to you bro, but I would definitely take your wife's opinion very strongly. In the end with the cars or nothing, shes the one that keeps you happy.

What about the new turbo 3-series or the infinite number of new cars that are coming out? Just throwing out ideas. There are many cars out there other than the Z that can be alot of fun and enjoyable to own. But Im a Z fan. I've loved mine for the 4 yrs (almost) Ive owned it and still am not ready to part with it.

Im sure you'll make the right decision bro. Hope all is well out there.

Robbie

Last edited by Driven1; 09-26-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
The dogs ain't riding in the Evo anymore since they can go in the beater without me giving a flying **** if they dirty ****.
I've inserted every curse word I know in place of the *'s and I still can't put together what was said there.

As for the topic, I say drive the heck out of the EVO and have a blast. Then, in 6 months to a year, get back in a Z.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Def get her a Z-I mean she out launched you at the track, if you play your cards right, she may show you how to drive
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
SilverstonE-O6

Lol