Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

757 Z meet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:38 AM
C45P312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Knowing what its like to have a drastic jump in power with a build, Id suggest he gets used to it first, work out the bugs then we can meet up and see what happens. Id love to just check out the car in person in the meantime, as its not everyday I see an S2K built with what looks to be drag racing in mind. Im curious to what hes doing with the stock diff/axles, do you know? As far as my car and times, Ive had 3 seconds down the track in my new set-up and I grenaded the tranny the second I hit 3rd. I havent been back to run since because the track closed 1 week before I swapped in another tranny and had my car back on the road. FWIW-my old set up with less than 400whp ran 11's in the dead of summer....where in VA/MD is your friend?
most def. I'm sure his first race won't be against you. he'll track it a couple times and ill update with his times.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 500whp dyno plot, I'll assume is his low boost, is that on race gas or pump?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Black Nugget

- Alright Carlo, you're my boy and you know that.. but you seriously need to stop trying to set up a race when you have no idea what is going on.

Alberto... whats going on bud. My name is Chad, I am the ex-owner / builder of the Black S2000 that was pictured a few pages back. I built that car with one purpose... drag racing at Dinwiddie and Richmond International Raceway.

On 9/14/05 I pulled the S2000 down, at that time it was Supercharged making 358whp. From that point we upgraded just about everything except for the transmission. The existing setup made 501.6 / 288.6 @ 21psi on 93 Octane Pump Gas and 597.7 / 381.4 @ 27psi on C16 Race Gas. The down side, the tune was extremely conservative and weak. The tuner that I had used was very timid and, though I thought he knew a bit about tuning he did not. In fact, I was informed by another more seasoned tuner that my low/high boost map had no different in timing - so I was running similar timing on race gas as to what I was running pump gas.

Either way, my intentions were to pull the car back down in March, installing a new wastegate & having the car retuned for 32psi. We expected it would make around 635+whp. Unfortunately this will never happen.

For personal reasons, I opted to sell the car one month after I pulled it back on the road.. approximately 1,000 miles later.

A lot of the individuals posting in this thread know me... they know that I built the car.. and they 'read' what I did to it, however they were not there for as much as a day of the 1 year build. The car, with a bit of learning and practice has the ability to hit low to mid 10's. However, you know just as well as I do - just because a car is capable of 10's.. that doesn't mean the driver will ever hit it.

The new owner of this vehicle, the gentlemen who purchased my car is located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Va Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake area). Speaking with him he does have intentions to have the car at Richmond International Raceway, however he is not the least bit interested in street racing it. I believe that he plans to race it for personal enjoyment, not competitively.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:58 AM
C45P312

Originally Posted by Black Nugget
- Alright Carlo, you're my boy and you know that.. but you seriously need to stop trying to set up a race when you have no idea what is going on.

Alberto... whats going on bud. My name is Chad, I am the ex-owner / builder of the Black S2000 that was pictured a few pages back. I built that car with one purpose... drag racing at Dinwiddie and Richmond International Raceway.

On 9/14/05 I pulled the S2000 down, at that time it was Supercharged making 358whp. From that point we upgraded just about everything except for the transmission. The existing setup made 501.6 / 288.6 @ 21psi on 93 Octane Pump Gas and 597.7 / 381.4 @ 27psi on C16 Race Gas. The down side, the tune was extremely conservative and weak. The tuner that I had used was very timid and, though I thought he knew a bit about tuning he did not. In fact, I was informed by another more seasoned tuner that my low/high boost map had no different in timing - so I was running similar timing on race gas as to what I was running pump gas.

Either way, my intentions were to pull the car back down in March, installing a new wastegate & having the car retuned for 32psi. We expected it would make around 635+whp. Unfortunately this will never happen.

For personal reasons, I opted to sell the car one month after I pulled it back on the road.. approximately 1,000 miles later.

A lot of the individuals posting in this thread know me... they know that I built the car.. and they 'read' what I did to it, however they were not there for as much as a day of the 1 year build. The car, with a bit of learning and practice has the ability to hit low to mid 10's. However, you know just as well as I do - just because a car is capable of 10's.. that doesn't mean the driver will ever hit it.

The new owner of this vehicle, the gentlemen who purchased my car is located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Va Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake area). Speaking with him he does have intentions to have the car at Richmond International Raceway, however he is not the least bit interested in street racing it. I believe that he plans to race it for personal enjoyment, not competitively.
Thank you.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Black Nugget

Im curious to what hes doing with the stock diff/axles, do you know?
Not a problem I installed an Inline Pro Differential Conversion Kit.

It uses a Custom Driveshaftshop 1,000hp Driveshaft that bolts to a Non-Turbo 300ZX Differential with VLSD. The axles are Custom Driveshaftshop Stage 5 Axles.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 AM
kpiskin

Those guys in the vid were kind of goofy to me. I'm glad I don't own a civic convertible.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Nice of you to post up info Chad. Car is a beast, sorry that you had to sell it. Ive never seen an S2K purpose built for drag racing, I like what you did with the car. Im glad you stepped in and set the record straight, some people were getting way too ahead of themselves and I knew that because they couldnt answer any of the questions I asked. That rear diff/axles set-up is nice man, too bad you never got to see what it could do. Did you do anything to the tranmission to avoid from grenading it due to 3X+ the power of a stock S2K?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Black Nugget

Originally Posted by kpiskin
I'm glad I don't own a civic convertible.
Yeah, a poor mans G35 is much better!

No offense man... but I don't think anyone of the S2000 guys have come in here and blatantly disrespected the 350Z. Except of course Dave in the video, who gave the 350Z a thumbs down (along with the Mini Cooper) in a very joking manner.

I think everyone has put aside the small bickering and we've come to the conclusion that it was a joke that was probably best left off the video. Can we move on now and try to be respectful a bit?

Last edited by Black Nugget; 01-13-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Black Nugget

Nice of you to post up info Chad. Car is a beast, sorry that you had to sell it. Ive never seen an S2K purpose built for drag racing, I like what you did with the car. Im glad you stepped in and set the record straight, some people were getting way too ahead of themselves and I knew that because they couldnt answer any of the questions I asked. That rear diff/axles set-up is nice man, too bad you never got to see what it could do. Did you do anything to the tranmission to avoid from grenading it due to 3X+ the power of a stock S2K?
Thanks for the comments Bert - they are appreciated. I watched your video of the 50-159 roll - your car is amazing! It definitely would have been fun if you and I could have lined up, however that's not really a possibility anymore so I'll push that thought aside. Just from reading your post I can see you are a true automotive enthusiast... not someone who only likes one type of car. Like myself, it appears you have an overall respect for fast cars It definitely would have been fun to meet at a track sometime and chat!

The only real transmission possibilities for the S2000 are PPG Gears, which are approximately $4,000. Initially I had planned to have those installed, however after thinking about things for a while I determined that it'd probably be better to hold off and have those installed once it was needed... basically once the existing transmission exploded.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thanks for the comments Bert - they are appreciated. I watched your video of the 50-159 roll - your car is amazing! It definitely would have been fun if you and I could have lined up, however that's not really a possibility anymore so I'll push that thought aside. Just from reading your post I can see you are a true automotive enthusiast... not someone who only likes one type of car. Like myself, it appears you have an overall respect for fast cars It definitely would have been fun to meet at a track sometime and chat!

The only real transmission possibilities for the S2000 are PPG Gears, which are approximately $4,000. Initially I had planned to have those installed, however after thinking about things for a while I determined that it'd probably be better to hold off and have those installed once it was needed... basically once the existing transmission exploded.
Yeah man Im a fan of fast cars I dont care what it is. I too would have liked to see your car in person, but like you said we'll move on...

Transmissions have always been my kryptonite, I like to drag race but never buy the right car to do it Gear sets are expensive for our cars as well, and the shop that carries them has yet to sell 1 gearset because they wont release the product, they just talk about it on the forums. I almost went to Gaithersburg for a PPG set myself, but I dont drag enough anymore to justify the cost. Here is an old vid of my old Turbonetics/stock block set-up, 200whp less than my current set-up

Click here to see Video
Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Black Nugget

Yeah man Im a fan of fast cars I dont care what it is. I too would have liked to see your car in person, but like you said we'll move on...

Transmissions have always been my kryptonite, I like to drag race but never buy the right car to do it Gear sets are expensive for our cars as well, and the shop that carries them has yet to sell 1 gearset because they wont release the product, they just talk about it on the forums. I almost went to Gaithersburg for a PPG set myself, but I dont drag enough anymore to justify the cost. Here is an old vid of my old Turbonetics/stock block set-up, 200whp less than my current set-up

Click here to see Video
Well, my S2000 was my first true project car. In my opinion, I think it was an awesome job for being built 3 friends in a garage with no power tools and no sponsors! With the S2000 being sold this past Monday and my Evolution 8 being sold today, it is time for a new project. Maybe this time I'll buy a stronger starting platform!

I agree 100% though - I just can not justify spending that kind of money on a gearset knowing that my existing transmission is in good working order. If it was on it's way out the door or already broke, then that is something else.

That video looks real good... personally I think that you and I would have been a rather good competition - granted that I was able to learn the car well enough before we raced. My last setup was 358whp supercharged. On that setup I pulled about 1-2 cars on a guy who consistently ran 12.05 - 12.1 (i never tracked it). Being that it was a centrifical blower that hit peak power at redline, my more recent 597whp (239whp higher) turbo setup should have been significantly faster.