Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Driving W/O Front License In MD/VA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 01:41 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Default Driving W/O Front License In MD/VA?

I'm getting ready to buy the Aerosync N-Style Polyurethane Front bumper. One concern is that how I am going to put the front license plate on that bumper. I would really like to keep the bumper license"less". I'm just afraid of the ghey cops here especially in VA. I have a maryland tag by the way. Does any of you have your Z without the front license plate in MD or VA? What's your experience on that?
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:43 PM
JuanFunction2ND
Sponsor
Function:Tuned

its not legal in both states. but u might get away with it from time to time
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:48 PM
abui01

Do it everyday for the past 3-4 months. I got pulled over once for speeding and they asked about my front plate n I tell em the same crap I tell every cop that tries to give me a BS ticket: "It's funny you mention that sir because I spoke with the dealer regarding a license plate bracket ever since I recently got my front bumper repainted and they are special ordering me one that will fit this bumper: I'm scheduled in for next week and it will get put on ASAP sir." Just as long as they hear the words "new bumper" and "in the process of getting it done," and lots n lots of "sir's/yes sir" in your explanation, they'll leave you alone.
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:50 PM
JuanFunction2ND
Sponsor
Function:Tuned

i wish .. i tryed that a lot of times and it worked once out of 20
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:53 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

(knock on wood) the two times I've been pulled over, they've never even looked at the front of my Z let alone the bumber
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:58 PM
BamBam

I drive mine all the time without a front plate. I can only say it is a risk you take. I prefer the look and am willing to pay the ticket if I have to. BUT so far I have been lucky. By law you must have a front plate in VA and MD.
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:58 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I know VA cops are a lot more @n@l than the MD cops. If I have a MD tag, I don't think the VA cops will stop me for that. But would a MD cop stop me for just the tag issue or he'd stop me for speeding(or whatever other things) and sees that I don't have a front license plate and writes me an extra ticket? That's what I'm curious about.
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:06 PM
fahrenheit350

Originally Posted by bb1314
I know VA cops are a lot more @n@l than the MD cops. If I have a MD tag, I don't think the VA cops will stop me for that. But would a MD cop stop me for just the tag issue or he'd stop me for speeding(or whatever other things) and sees that I don't have a front license plate and writes me an extra ticket? That's what I'm curious about.
MD (MC) officiers are more forgiving when it comes to not writting solo tickets for front plates... unless they are cracking down at Barnes meet in Rockville. I've driven around for 2-3 years w/o an issue with front plates.

VA (esp Fairfax Co.) will be more @nal.

Btw, do you commute from B-more to McLean daily? cot-damn! if you do.
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:10 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by fahrenheit350
MD (MC) officiers are more forgiving when it comes to not writting solo tickets for front plates... unless they are cracking down at Barnes meet in Rockville. I've driven around for 2-3 years w/o an issue with front plates.

Lol.. My family(aka parents, siblings) live in Baltimore. I'm renting a place in Bethesda and work in McLean, VA. I still drive back to Baltimore every weekend though.. so if there's any meet in any of these 3 area, let me know!

Can a VA cop write me a ticket for not having a MD front plate though?
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:10 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by fahrenheit350
MD

because of that I don't venture into Fairfax Co that often. Only in my beater, which still has maryland tags and no front plate. Well there's a front plate but it says "University of Maryland" oops w/ a terrapin on it .

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 01-18-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:13 PM
fahrenheit350

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
because of that I don't venture into Fairfax Co that often. Only in my beater, which still has maryland tags and no front plate. Well there's a front plate but it says "University of Marylannd" w/ a terrapin on it .
they misspelled your front plate wrong...lol, jk they'll pull you over for that.

did i hear right that fairfax co. are using chargers now for police vehicles?
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:20 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by bb1314
Can a VA cop write me a ticket for not having a MD front plate though?

Yes !!!!!!!!!! And Vice ~ Versa... I have the ticket to prove it!
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:21 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31
Premier Member

someone told me in a previous thread that a front ticket was in the neighborhood of $85 in VA, not something I can do for aesthetics. If I am at a meet or taking pictures, it comes off... otherwise, I'll keep my $85 thanks
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:38 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Holy cow.. $85?! I think it's $40 in MD. Hmm.... Maybe I should buy a bracket to mount that license plate up.
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:39 PM
rockinbboy

Well its funny you posted this thread, cause after I got my new bumper I didn't last two months.

I was driving on the highway and a trooper passes me in the left lane. I check my speed since I did see him before he passed me and I was going the speed limit...so no problem there. I see him 3 or 4 cars ahead of me in the left lane and not gaining anymore. I notice he is checking his mirrors and I am thinking to myself, "oh boy...". Next thing I know he brakes, gets behind me, and rides my @$$ like there is no tomorrow. Its one thing to be close to see the plates, but COME ON..I could only see his grill and front dash. I could bearly see the guy and him radioing my plates cause he was that close into me. Anyways, I start moving to the right lane slowly figuring he'll pull me over and sure enough...he does. I turn my car off and show him my license. He told me I had no front plates and gave me a written warning. I told him I did get a new bumper and just didn't get around to putting the new plates on. I even pointed to him my plates in the hatch which he could see clearly. I am glad I just got a warning and not a fix-it ticket. I am tired of getting screwed with money issues lately. Anyways, I am waiting for my Zee bracket to come in so I can install my plate. yeah it sucks to kill the look, but its better than drilling in to the bumper.

Anyways...just my two cents..didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:35 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

I get pulled over alot cause of it. I just pay the damn thing. They threaten me with towing the vehicle and stuff, but I usually just stop being a d!ck about then and just pay my ticket.

If I had any respect for cops it might be a different story, but they are as bad as lawyers and politicans.
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:53 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31
Premier Member

yeah i thought it was like $35 in VA so no big deal I was gonna go without but $85 a time with all the drivin I do... don't think it would be a good idea.
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:56 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman
Premier Member

I've gotten one ticket for it because the cop tried to get me for speeding but couldn't clock me, so he pulled me over and gave me whatever he could. Otherwise I've never gotten pulled over for it in the past 3 years (knock on wood)

The last time I got asked about it, I told the cop "I don't like how it looks" but he didn't give me a ticket for it and instead falsified my ticket by adding 8 mph to it to make it a pretty good reckless ticket. (the kind of cop like if you looked at him...you could tell he got picked on in high school)
Old 01-18-2007 | 04:01 PM
05-Z

I gave up...must have received at least 3 or 4 in VA and even one in Georgetown.

If you drive a CRV or Lexus, you could probably get away with no plate easily.
Old 01-18-2007 | 04:14 PM
widebody350

I'm screwed regardless. I can't put one on if I wanted to unless I drilled a hole in my bumper which isn't happenning. The tow hook screw mod works if you have an aftermarket bumper but still want to run a tag, but if your bumper is longnose like mine you are SOL.

Quick Reply: Driving W/O Front License In MD/VA?