Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

turbonetics single or greddy twins???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 08:08 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
I wouldn't say hands down. I am a Turbonetics turbo owner and have had nothing but great experiences with my kit aside from some detonation that was fixed with t he purchase of an E-Manage Ultimate.

I never had any other problems and the car was reliable enough to drive daily (I have another car though).

In addition, I believe that TN now sells the kit with the Unichip Q. If this is true, it is a more complete kit than the Greddy since TN also includes larger injectors whereas Gredddy utilises the stock injectors and the E-Manage Blue (which is not competent at all)

So I wouldn't say Greddy hands down but for this guy's particular situation, considering he is willing to shell-out so much and build the bottom-end, yes, Greddy would be the appropriate choice.

Greddy ships with 440's. Definately not stock. Also, try not to bash the E-Blue to much when your only running the E-Ultimate Might want to break out the fire proof suit if some people see that
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:10 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by alltel350z
I was told that it was good for 600whp. I have the stock heads so I am going for I would say 450whp on pump and about 550 on race.

I was thinking the utec. The motor was built by kyle @ import parts pro. Thats what he recomended.

As far as the rest I am still tring to research.
What exhaust would you guys recomend. Anyone need a stillen...lol
APS if you dont mind the sound. Greddy Evo TT if you want something a bit more mellow.
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:12 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

You know, there is an easy way to solve all this, just call up Function TUNED and talk to Dave. Give him your parts list, and have him work up a quote for you. He can tell you prices, times, the whole nine. Faster than waiting for everyone to give their responses
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:18 AM
alltel350z

Originally Posted by Nowell
You know, there is an easy way to solve all this, just call up Function TUNED and talk to Dave. Give him your parts list, and have him work up a quote for you. He can tell you prices, times, the whole nine. Faster than waiting for everyone to give their responses
thanks. whats the number if you have it on hand
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:18 AM
jadaniya
Banned

I've been contemplating going FI too and with the limited research and no first hand experience (contrary to many of the people who have already posted here) I would say TN. only b/c you don't really get to experience the fully greddy experience with stock block and Greddy costs more. And if you look at the thread about stock blocks with FI, it seems that the most reliable set up would be neither, it'd be the vortech supercharger. the vortech would be well within your budget (especially if you look in the marketplace) and can put out about 370 - 410 hp. This is just my take from what I've read so far, but if you're going to build your engine then I'd go Greddy.
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:21 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by alltel350z
thanks. whats the number if you have it on hand

Function TUNED
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:26 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by jadaniya
I've been contemplating going FI too and with the limited research and no first hand experience (contrary to many of the people who have already posted here) I would say TN. only b/c you don't really get to experience the fully greddy experience with stock block and Greddy costs more. And if you look at the thread about stock blocks with FI, it seems that the most reliable set up would be neither, it'd be the vortech supercharger. the vortech would be well within your budget (especially if you look in the marketplace) and can put out about 370 - 410 hp. This is just my take from what I've read so far, but if you're going to build your engine then I'd go Greddy.
Your not going to get 410 on a stock block with the vortech and be "safe". Any boosting setup isn't going to be 100% reliable. You can't go into boost and expect it to be a mod thats going to last with the car. You go into it with the realization that "when something DOES blow (beacuse it will), I know I can afford to replace/fix it". Besides, Functioned has the warrenty on a stock block, so why not go with the Greddy? It saves you time/money when you grow out of the Vortech/TN, which you will do quickly.

Edit, yes im speaking from experience. My TN was only one for 1 month, and I regret it because of the money I wasted that could have gone to my eventual greddy setup. Altho I do love the TN kits nasty torque.
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

I regret selling my TN for sooo cheap only to see it sold for more! COUGH:****:COUGH
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:29 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by Alberto
I regret selling my TN for sooo cheap only to see it sold for more! COUGH:****:COUGH
Only cause I sold it with alot more =)
Old 08-14-2007 | 09:14 AM
jadaniya
Banned

Your not going to get 410 on a stock block with the vortech and be "safe". Any boosting setup isn't going to be 100% reliable. You can't go into boost and expect it to be a mod thats going to last with the car. You go into it with the realization that "when something DOES blow (beacuse it will), I know I can afford to replace/fix it". Besides, Functioned has the warrenty on a stock block, so why not go with the Greddy? It saves you time/money when you grow out of the Vortech/TN, which you will do quickly.
yeah, thats why i mentioned my limited research and lack of personal experience. but it does seem like a lot of guys do a little over 400 (~410) safely on the vortech supercharger (with the ugraded pulleys, etc). I also remember reading that one of the reasons why the superchargers can put out that much power without as much risk of blowing **** is that puts out less torque. and yeah, the Function warranty does sound really sweet, and I was really excited when I saw it, but there are a lot of restrictions with it and with different people's situations (DD or weekend warrior) using high octane blends isn't too appealing. I was just suggesting that for a guy on a budget the vortech sounds like a good option. B/C to me it doesn't make sense to spend money on the TT if you're not gonna boost the **** out of it (which is what a lot of guys on this forum do BUT with built motors which = $$$$$$).
Old 08-14-2007 | 09:16 AM
Blu_Blur

Greddy ships with 440's. Definately not stock. Also, try not to bash the E-Blue to much when your only running the E-Ultimate Might want to break out the fire proof suit if some people see that

They may ship NOW with 440's but originally they didn't ship out with any whereas originally, TN shipped out with 440's.

Also, the EU is ALOT better than the Blue and is still regarded as a highly respectable and capable unit for tuning. In addition, I also have the MAP sensor for it which makes it even better. After it was installed and tuned by GT Motorsports, the car picked-up a lot of power and better throttle responce and the detonation was gone forever. The EU is a cheaper alternative to the UTEC whereas the Blue can not even be said in the same sentence.

No flame suit need. Thanks.

Last edited by Blu_Blur; 08-14-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2007 | 09:34 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
They may ship NOW with 440's but originally they didn't ship out with any whereas originally, TN shipped out with 440's.

Also, the EU is ALOT better than the Blue and is still regarded as a highly respectable and capable unit for tuning. In addition, I also have the MAP sensor for it which makes it even better. After it was installed and tuned by GT Motorsports, the car picked-up a lot of power and better throttle responce and the detonation was gone forever. The EU is a cheaper alternative to the UTEC whereas the Blue can not even be said in the same sentence.

No flame suit need. Thanks.
Ok, so your talking about what? The greddy that came out when the Z first hit the lots in late 02? And your saying TN already had 440's developed and shipped with their kit at the same time??? Ok, whatever. Secondly, as far as I know the TN has NEVER shipped with Emanage Ultimate, so don't even get me started on the whole "flash vs blue vs I want cool guages so I can be FnF yo, utlimate".
Old 08-14-2007 | 10:14 AM
Blu_Blur

Ok, so your talking about what? The greddy that came out when the Z first hit the lots in late 02? And your saying TN already had 440's developed and shipped with their kit at the same time??? Ok, whatever. Secondly, as far as I know the TN has NEVER shipped with Emanage Ultimate, so don't even get me started on the whole "flash vs blue vs I want cool guages so I can be FnF yo, utlimate".

What I am saying is that when I bought my TN system in late '05, it shipped with 440's. At that same point in time, GReddy was shipping their TT kit with no injectors.

After I purchased my kit, I did some more research and there were many proponents of getting a load-based, tuneable EMS. After I did some research, I felt that the EU was EXACTLY what I needed. I never said that TN shipped the EU with the kit, though.

Being as that I am in Cali, I don't want cool gauges so I went with a Zeitronix unit in my cubby.

The EU is great and can proficiently handle set-ups alot more aggressive than mine.

Edit: Correction, I remembered that the TN kit originally sold with 380 cc injectors, not 440. Still better than what Greddy was shipping though at the time.

Last edited by Blu_Blur; 08-14-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2007 | 11:10 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

The cool guages comment was a dig on the Emanage Ultime and the Civic-like people that want the EMS because of the "coolness" factor of the interface.
Old 08-14-2007 | 11:24 AM
Blu_Blur

The cool guages comment was a dig on the Emanage Ultime and the Civic-like people that want the EMS because of the "coolness" factor of the interface.

I understand but that certainly ain't me.
Old 08-15-2007 | 05:55 PM
memphis350z

well i went with nitrous for now due to $$$$ but i can add this...i work at cliffs hi-tech in essex and right now we have a roadster in there getting a turbonetics single and we have had multiple problems with this kit,first the raptor blow off valve was defective(wouldnt close all the wy to hold boost,then the ecu reflash that turbonetics supplies with the kit does not 'like' the car and keeps throwing codes...as soon as we gett'em off and go for a test drive they're back or new ones pop up....come to find out this is not a new thing and many ppl are going thru this so buyer beware.....
oh and spray f&#kin rocks!!! greddys will come at tax time
Old 08-16-2007 | 04:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by memphis350z
well i went with nitrous for now due to $$$$ but i can add this...i work at cliffs hi-tech in essex and right now we have a roadster in there getting a turbonetics single and we have had multiple problems with this kit,first the raptor blow off valve was defective(wouldnt close all the wy to hold boost,then the ecu reflash that turbonetics supplies with the kit does not 'like' the car and keeps throwing codes...as soon as we gett'em off and go for a test drive they're back or new ones pop up....come to find out this is not a new thing and many ppl are going thru this so buyer beware.....
oh and spray f&#kin rocks!!! greddys will come at tax time
TN > N20 What happens after 3 runs when your bottle pressure drops and your 100 shot is now a weaksauce 75? Did you guys try adjusting the BOV so it wouldnt bleed boost? What codes was it throwing? P0300 is normal for FI gus in case you didnt know. I know TN is FAR from perfect but the issues your having are a little extreme...
Old 08-16-2007 | 03:08 PM
memphis350z

the bov wasn't built properly so the plunger/valve inside would not seat flush and wouldnt seal therefore bleeding boost like crazy..the codes that first popped up were for the o2 heater then for the rear o2's.....dont get me wrong i like the kit but i should have all the bugs worked out considering its coming from a very good company....
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by memphis350z
the bov wasn't built properly so the plunger/valve inside would not seat flush and wouldnt seal therefore bleeding boost like crazy..the codes that first popped up were for the o2 heater then for the rear o2's.....dont get me wrong i like the kit but i should have all the bugs worked out considering its coming from a very good company....
You do realize defective parts ship out with every kit? Those codes you experienced are not the norm, so its unfair to judge a company by 1 experience. I did my own TN install a while back and I didnt have any issues, my car dyno'd 392whp on the flash alone and it eventually ran 11's. I hope Reggie @ TN took care of you....
Old 08-17-2007 | 05:48 PM
memphis350z

im not judging the company due to our experience,i understand it is impossible to not have defects and whatnot so dont get me wrong...
but there has been alot of problems with that kit.....anyway
i just watched your videos,very impressive...i hope oneday when the funds are there i can get my Z to that level of tune....where did you get your work done at...a turbo install i can handle but a engine build is alittle much for me

Quick Reply: turbonetics single or greddy twins???