Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Hook up at the DMV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 AM
PSUpride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hook up at the DMV?

Anyone have a hook up at the DMV that can "sign off" on taking my tint off?

My dad got pulled over and got a ticket for illegal tint (20%). So instead of taking it off, going to the DMV, then getting it put back on...it'd be nice if I could slide someone $100 and have them sign off that I got it removed!!

Little background...I have never gotten off with a warning. 4 speeding tickets and various other things (head lights out, yadda yadda)...0 warnings. My dad gets pulled over and I still get **** on. Gotta love that set up.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Master of Baiting
Demolition Man

I'll sign off on it for $50 since I'm in no way or form affiliated with the dmv hahah

I'm not gonna lie, no one would do that, no one in their right mind at least, 100 bucks isnt worth loosing a job over, just use that 100 and get new tint
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but Maryland doesn't use the DMV. They have the MVA http://mva.state.md.us/ ... and it's highly unlikely someone will risk jail time to botch a report.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A state cop will verify with equipment and sign it, or you take it to a state inspector who will "sign off"

the ladder is your best bet. no cop at the actual DMV will lie on that, unless he is a tool.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
350Track

When I got my tint repair order in maryland you have to take it to MVA to have a State Trooper sign off on it OR a Maryland Certified Inspection place could sign off as well and have you mail it in. If that's the case, you would be better off trying to find a hook up at a Md inspection place
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what level do you currently have? I was thinking of switching from 35% (MD legal) to 30% (slightly illegal) this summer and wondering if it's worth the trouble...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

I wouldn't unless you're coming down to 20
Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
I wouldn't unless you're coming down to 20
Last time I was at that College Park shop (forget the name) getting some work done 30% looked so much better than the legal stuff. Anyways, I'm still deciding on some minor stuff to do with my tax returns...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

in MD the MVA uses a laser to test your tint, start peeling
Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
350Track

I have 20, but according to the cop on top of the factory tint it's like 16, which if it's bright and sunny out I don't think looks that dark, can't see in at all at night though, plus the black interior makes it darker
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Last time I was at that College Park shop (forget the name) getting some work done 30% looked so much better than the legal stuff. Anyways, I'm still deciding on some minor stuff to do with my tax returns...
if a cop is going to pull you over for tint they will whether its barely illegal or 5%, b/c usually they are not worried about unless you do something stupid/make them mad
Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read that you can get a tint exception for medical reasons. Dunno know if it is true but, you may want to "come up" with an vision problem ....
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Master of Baiting
Demolition Man

I think every state has medical exemptions when it comes to tint, some people cant be exposed to sunlight for long periods and such, easier to get a fake rx then get someone to sign off on your tint
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
PSUpride

My eyes are blue, doesn't that mean they are more receptive to light? I just got my eyes checked and got a perscription written...hmmmm

To answer a few questions:
- I meant the MVA, not DMV (both are the 10th circle in hell)
- My tint was 20% (Z is black too so that doesn't help)
- I know I should just throw the $100 towards the tint, but it's just annoying to go get it removed, then go to the MVA, then go back to get it put back on.

I've read if you have time and a razor, you can take it off. Is it easier just to go to a shop?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by PSUpride
My eyes are blue, doesn't that mean they are more receptive to light? I just got my eyes checked and got a perscription written...hmmmm

To answer a few questions:
- I meant the MVA, not DMV (both are the 10th circle in hell)
- My tint was 20% (Z is black too so that doesn't help)
- I know I should just throw the $100 towards the tint, but it's just annoying to go get it removed, then go to the MVA, then go back to get it put back on.

I've read if you have time and a razor, you can take it off. Is it easier just to go to a shop?
The tint is easy to take off. The glue residue however can be a beeeeeyotch depending on the type and quality of tint. Ive removed it from a couple cars and the glue is always the part that sucks. Go to an advance auto and but a bottle of that tint removal spray or check the web for some common chemicals to help u out. Whatever you do get a heat gun or blowdryer to warm up the window so you can peel it off in one piece. Otherwise it tends to tear and you will be pullin it off in little pieces since its so cold outside.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by rkemp1
The tint is easy to take off. The glue residue however can be a beeeeeyotch depending on the type and quality of tint. Ive removed it from a couple cars and the glue is always the part that sucks. Go to an advance auto and but a bottle of that tint removal spray or check the web for some common chemicals to help u out. Whatever you do get a heat gun or blowdryer to warm up the window so you can peel it off in one piece. Otherwise it tends to tear and you will be pullin it off in little pieces since its so cold outside.
+1000
When I moved here from NY they made me remove my 20% and the remaining adhesive is the worst part...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Gooey

Try removing just the door tints and have it inspected. The back is a biatch.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Track
I have 20, but according to the cop on top of the factory tint it's like 16, which if it's bright and sunny out I don't think looks that dark, can't see in at all at night though, plus the black interior makes it darker

The windows from factory have a ~5% tint on them already, so adding a 20% on top brings it to ~15%. At the same time, I am not sure if the 20% rating at the shop is actually 15%, and they call it 20% to take into account the finished rating.

My tint is 30%, which is a little illegal in VA, but I haven't had any trouble with it. I never drive with my windows down halfway: they are either all the way up or down, so that a cop can't get a true sense of the darkness.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
rkemp1

A good rule of thumb if you see a cop, is to roll them down, if you can, if you have severely illegal tint(20 or less) especially on black Zs. Once the cop passes roll em back up. It takes 3 seconds and saves u alot of headache. You never know when you will get that D-bag of a cop who is bored and has nothing better to do than stop you for tint.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 AM
PWRSTRK

I know it's an unpopular suggestion, but this whole thread is about evading the law. Why don't you just follow it? Grin and bear it, buddy.

Quick Reply: Hook up at the DMV?