Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

MUZZY's JWT clutch + Function Tuned review

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MUZZY's JWT clutch + Function Tuned review

Alright, so basically my clutch started going slowly but shurly after I mounted the new wheel/tire setup. A little background on the car: its running on a vortech with the 3.12 pully and AAM fuel return system + all supporting mods, 410rwhp. I have been driving the car boosted for about 20k miles now, yes I said 20k miles. And it drives like day one still. I have been taking it easy in the last few weeks since I started feeling the clutch give out. But I did a poker run event hosted by StreetTrenz witch was fantastic, but it basically killed my clutch.

Last week I ordered The JWT clutch and fly wheel combo from these forums right here for $775 shipped. It arived in perfect time Thursday before I headed to VA for HIN @ the Dulles expo center. I live in Northern Delaware and its about a 3 hour drive for me. I drove the Z the whole way and told my brother to drive separate b/c I feel like its going to go out at any time. I drove down Thursday night to miss all the trafic and stayed at a friends house in Menasses. By this time I have lost most of the clutch, I had to rev the car to 5k rpm to even grip on first and second and it took me literally 2min to hit 70 mph. It sucked *****.

The day of the show I was like cmon baby you can do it!. heading west to rt 66 my car started over heating from all the slipping and to make the story short I blew my clutch 2miles from the expo center.... Sucked *****.

My team member then gave me a ride to the expo ware we met a bunch of Z brothers and they were more than happy to help me trailer my car to the expo (thank you so much guys, I still owe you guys a drink)

Finally at HIN, trying to figure out hwat to do.................

I couldnt have a better timing to blow my clutch I guess if you think about it. I set an apointment with Dave at Function 2 weeks from now but now that its blown I can just drop it off at his shop and only make that crazy drive once. And what yea know Dave was at HIN.

He came over and I explained the sitation and we decided that I'll just drop it off his shop after the show! Things are working out great. I told him well I'll come back in two weeks and pick it up at the appointment date, and he told me you can pick it up Monday! I was amazed. Dave had an opening all of a sudden and was able to work on the clutch. So I'm all happy since I can make it to all the NOPI's coming up.

Fast forward to this Wednesday, I drove the 3 hour drive to FT. And the car was still on the lift. Dave started to explain that he accidentally dmged my underglow, and eventhow it was still working he was insistant that he deduct the cost from my bill. So I was kinda imprest at that point. It is so hard finding good service now a days and stuff like this throwes me on a trip. He also cleaned my dripping oil pan and switched out my "Y" pipe for free! ( I grinded it off during installation of my exhoust and ran a funky bolt setup to make it work) WOW I said. Also the idiot that I am, I wrapped a bunch of wires around the under front brace of the car and Dave had to cut them off to change the clutch. Any other shop would have been like tough luck or charged me extra to fix the problem, but Dave reconnected all 28 wires properly and zip tied them accordingly. I couldnt have asked for more during my short stay at FT. he then took it out for a spin and for once heard my car from the outside and I must say I got a little wet. He came back and everything was perfect he decided to adjust my peddle a little more and perfecto, job well done. I met a few Z enthusiest while I was around and I wish I had more time to hang out with them since they all seamed like a great group of guys.

over all experiance at FT: best I have had in terms of service, 10 out of 10

defenitly know that all the praise they have is for real and defenetly they would be the ones to touch my Z again.

On the drive home it took me a while to get use to the new clutch, but I knew I was in love. It gripped allot harder, way harder. there was almost no play, every shift was making me jerk, but I got use to it by the end of the day. I took to the highway like a bandit and gave it a few good pulls, and I was so impressed by the feel. I could tell that I was spooling faster and my rpm's droped a little bit from just cruisin. Overall the JWT clutch and fly combo with the steel line had a vary sport feel to it, with a little window but it was for the better. the 14lb flywheel wasnt too chattery as I tought it would be. I could barly hear it in the cabin, but what do I know, I have a pro-1 exhoust and you cant even think to yourself with that. In a nut shell I fell in love with my car again, and I love how the Z has a way of doing this. I have the same big ol smile on my face as the day I drove it off the lot, and it has been a while since I have been this happy. The pedal feel is a little harder than stock but you have to press down further and the window of opertunity is smaller.

The JWT clutch and flywheel combo jumps to #2 on my list as my favorite mod on the list, number 1 is still the motordyne plenum spacer (thats another review)

JWT clutch + flywheel + SS line : 9.5 out of 10
Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Gooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent review! again shows the great customer service of FT!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
lek at ngc

^^ good review. another satisfied Function Tuned customer
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is typical FunctionTuned service by Dave..........nothing more to say.And you also joined the infamous Unfunctiontuned crew.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 PM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Awesome review I still need to take my car to FT to get my X pipe put on, on the HKS Hi Power exhaust.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Wow!

Nice pics of the chics.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

It was great to see your car Muzzy, I'm glad I learned about the cusco cage.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Good stufF!!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM
PumpedVA

I never got a chance to talk at HIN but I should get points for stopping to see if you needed help LOL
Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound, that thing almost ran over my hand when we pulled it out of the trailer at F:T
Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up!

BTW he installed my JWT clutch/flywheel also. I dropped it off at around Noon on a Saturday, played 18 holes of golf at a par 3 course, came back the SAME day and picked it up at 5 PM. Talk about a turn around on an install

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 04-24-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not surprised at all -- Dave's awesome!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Akabir47

Ftftmfw!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
nanjingbabe

Originally Posted by MUZZY

OMG you wrote random crap over my head... those girls were getting too close to me.. i was like ERRR... I want to go back to play my DS...
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Armando

FT is the place to go!!! Good story
Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM
MUZZY

just playing with the pic comment, spice things up a little
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM
SmokerZ
I Like Everyone

that sounds fantastic!

i cannot wait to have my car worked on by Dave and Juan at the beginning of May!!!!

good review!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
spddmn124

great review. good to know that FT does awesome work.