Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

IT/Job help....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
kurt213
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT/Job help....

My fiance and I will be moving to the Richmond area soon (from central PA) and I was just wondering if anyone could offer some job help. I'm currently an IT Support guy for Penn State University. I was hoping she would be able to get something closer to DC, because there is an abundancy of IT jobs there. But not the case. I did a quick search on indeed.com and didn't really see too many helpdesk/support jobs available in the Richmond area right now. So I was just hoping maybe someone on here worked at a place that may have some openings? Or know of something?
I actually would be open to doing other things unrelated to IT work, so long as the pay is decent. I'm a very fast learner and a damn good worker. I just need to get my foot in the door at a quality place that will allow me to actually advance. Basically any decent paying job within driving distance of Richmond would be great.
So if anyone has anything they can think of I would be very grateful. Thanx.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM "G ZILLA" on G35driver.com. He knows a recruiter who's REALLY good in that area plus he personally knows some IT support job in DC.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 AM
kurt213
Banned

Cool....I'll definately do that. Thanx alot!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Goofy1477

Originally Posted by bb1314
PM "G ZILLA" on G35driver.com. He knows a recruiter who's REALLY good in that area plus he personally knows some IT support job in DC.
I agree, PM G Zilla, he will help you out a lot. He has tried helping me out. But its a really bad market to find a IT job. Make sure you have good certifications too! They are really important.

For me with no certs, I have been looking for a job since October and still no luck. The worst part is I have 8+ years experience in IT!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
abui01

^ I totally feel you, I have 10+ yrs in IT w/ no cert and I'm still flippin burgers. But at least my job is fun and food is free.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 AM
kurt213
Banned

Damn....you guys aren't givin me alot of confidence here.
I have a degree, but only like 2 years experience. Guess it'll be tougher than I thought.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by kurt213
Damn....you guys aren't givin me alot of confidence here.
I have a degree, but only like 2 years experience. Guess it'll be tougher than I thought.
What kind of skills do you have? Can you be a little more specific like any programming languages? I might know a few things for you for your experience level.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
kurt213
Banned

Originally Posted by bb1314
What kind of skills do you have? Can you be a little more specific like any programming languages? I might know a few things for you for your experience level.
I am currently just your basic helpdesk support guy. I know some programming, but probably not enough to be a programmer. I know html, some php and some .net.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently just your basic helpdesk support guy. I know some programming, but probably not enough to be a programmer. I know html, some php and some .net.
What is your degree in?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
kurt213
Banned

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
What is your degree in?
Computer Information Systems
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
TZCCVA

Well if you wanted to work in the tidewater area there are a ton of military jobs down here. Find a place in between richmond and Hampton and you should be able to find a great job with little commuting. PM me your resume I work for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
kurt213
Banned

Originally Posted by TZCCVA
Well if you wanted to work in the tidewater area there are a ton of military jobs down here. Find a place in between richmond and Hampton and you should be able to find a great job with little commuting. PM me your resume I work for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems.
PM Sent!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TZCCVA
I work for the same company out of their main head quarters in Fairfax. Defn. a good company to work for right now.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
kurt213
Banned

Awesome....hopefully I can get in there. Sounds like a real quality place.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

contact Becky Van Niman at TEK Systems
703-476-3300 is the main line...

rmcmahon@teksystems.com

sorry I have been out of town for a while... I will post another recruiters infor in a second...she is down in Richmond. Becky is up this way but has mad contacts all over the US. I cant find beckys number... she got married... still looking...

Also with TEK Systems
Jenna Williams
jennwill@teksystems.com or 703-476-3388
or
Heidi Speer
hspeer@teksystems.com or 703-476-3353.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 03-04-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
4SHIZZIL

Carol Frink in Richmond

cfrink@fhr-solutions.com

Samantha L. Atkinson NOVA
satkinson@apexsystemsinc.com
Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 AM
kurt213
Banned

Awesome....thanx alot!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 AM
lophix

I don't want to hijack your thread as I might be relocating to WV (morgantown area.) I also didn't want to take recruiters' information from on here without asking the people that posted them and at least having names to use as sources (vs. saying I got it off a car forum.)

Graduate in computer systems; have worked as a sys admin for the last 2.5 yrs at a healthcare facility. Implemented electronic medical records, manage interfaces between various applications, manage multiple servers / disaster recovery / network, etc. I designed the network from scratch and personally directed the installation of everything in place now. I would like something in the same vein / industry but will take what I can get. I might be a tad underpaid right now, don't know (50k) but it's pretty good for the area we're in now. My wife makes considerably more and if we move she'll be making up to .25 times more than what she's making now so I could take a less paying position if I had to. I know there are a lot of military positions and would love to snag one, but I can't get security clearance (not a citizen yet...have another 8 months to go).

If any of you guys that posted recruiters' info. care to shoot me pms, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by lophix; 03-07-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 AM
OCMan

My fiance and I will be moving to the Richmond area soon (from central PA) and I was just wondering if anyone could offer some job help. I'm currently an IT Support guy for Penn State University. I was hoping she would be able to get something closer to DC, because there is an abundancy of IT jobs there. But not the case. I did a quick search on indeed.com and didn't really see too many helpdesk/support jobs available in the Richmond area right now. So I was just hoping maybe someone on here worked at a place that may have some openings? Or know of something?
I actually would be open to doing other things unrelated to IT work, so long as the pay is decent. I'm a very fast learner and a damn good worker. I just need to get my foot in the door at a quality place that will allow me to actually advance. Basically any decent paying job within driving distance of Richmond would be great.
So if anyone has anything they can think of I would be very grateful. Thanx.
www.dice.com
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by lophix
I don't want to hijack your thread as I might be relocating to WV (morgantown area.) I also didn't want to take recruiters' information from on here without asking the people that posted them and at least having names to use as sources (vs. saying I got it off a car forum.)

Graduate in computer systems; have worked as a sys admin for the last 2.5 yrs at a healthcare facility. Implemented electronic medical records, manage interfaces between various applications, manage multiple servers / disaster recovery / network, etc. I designed the network from scratch and personally directed the installation of everything in place now. I would like something in the same vein / industry but will take what I can get. I might be a tad underpaid right now, don't know (50k) but it's pretty good for the area we're in now. My wife makes considerably more and if we move she'll be making up to .25 times more than what she's making now so I could take a less paying position if I had to. I know there are a lot of military positions and would love to snag one, but I can't get security clearance (not a citizen yet...have another 8 months to go).

If any of you guys that posted recruiters' info. care to shoot me pms, I would really appreciate it.
tell em Corey sent you...lol do it! do it!

Quick Reply: IT/Job help....