Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Harassed by Cops!! For front plate??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Jtuned Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harassed by Cops!! For front plate??

To make a long story short, yesterday I was pulled and ticketed for no front plate. Here is how the story goes, Cop#1 pulls me over for no front plate (I know it was coming sooner or later), so I told him I never bought a front mount for my license plate. Cop#1 tells me to be quiet and says if I can afford a forty something thousand dollar car I can go get a mount from the dealer.He says this as he is checking out the interior and exterior of my Z. He takes my license and registeration and goes back to his cruiser for about 10-15 minutes. After that three more cops show up. So Im like WTF. After chatting among themselves, Cop#2 yells at me to get out of the car and go to Cop#1's cruiser to sign the ticket. So I take the ticket and head back to my car. Then Cop#1 stops me before I get in my car. Cop#1 asks me if I had a gun on me because I looked nervous. So the next thing I know my car and myself is being searched. I didn't really bug me because I had nothing to hide. While my car is being searched Cop#3 is questioning me how much I paid for my wheels, what modifications I have done, etc, etc. At this point I am irritated and I just ignored the cop. After all that they let me go with a front plate ticket.

Now, I have been pulled over for far worst offenses, but never had this type of treatment before. I don't care about getting the front plate ticket. But I know this is not standard procedure for no front plate. What you guys think I should do. Fight it court (of course I will have a plate on by then) or just put all this behind me and pay the ticket.

BTW Thanks for reading and your input.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay the ticket end of story. Next time -You can refuse a search (unless he has a warrant.) There's the "Plain View of Sight" law, where if a cop does not see any suspicious items within plain view, he therefore cannot search your vehicle because he has no probable cause.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Pay the ticket and leave the plate on.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Jgrizzle

pay the ticket. Listen to what abui said
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Sean

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
pay the ticket. Listen to what abui said
No, don't listen to what Abui said unless you want to spend a few hours on the side of the road while a warrant is obtained and cops rip your car apart.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Jgrizzle

you have a point. Yes sir no sir might work better.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
MDHRZ

You should of punched them all in the face, said fu*k you, and rolled out. My .02
Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I've been harassed by cops in so many verbal forms. Most of them involved some kind of racist comments. I learned to just laugh it off and let it be. If they didn't go as far as touching you or your gf/wife, just look at it as the WAY OF RICE!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Project3fiftyZ

I hate to say it but some things will never change. They could be out dealing with people who are dealing drugs and what not but they choose to go the easy route and harass someone who has a minor violation if you can even call missing a front tag plate that. Im going to have to co-sign with everyone else and say eat the ticket and get a front tag plate bracket asap.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
abui01

Watch both parts and during your next stop, you'll know exactly what to do and how to respond to their threats. In theory, they're just trying to sound like the boss, but you also have your own rights and options on how to handle the situation:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3sSBlh9lNI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pll2...eature=related
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
ZPHILE

Isn't this just a fix-it ticket anymore???? Just curious, were you 'more' than courteous to the officers? Unless, (when I was younger and dumber), I did stuff I had no business, the officers were very civil.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I have this idea of making some fake lawyer business cards and have they spilled all my car. I bet they'd be a little more polite if they stumble across one of them.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
davidmcc

Originally Posted by Sean
No, don't listen to what Abui said unless you want to spend a few hours on the side of the road while a warrant is obtained and cops rip your car apart.
If you have a couple of hours to kill why not? They'll likely not get the warrant anyway, merely refusing to consent to a search does not give probable cause to obtain a warrant. If that were the case they'd be able to search anyone at any time.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Jtuned Z33

I was more than nice to officer until they took me out the car to sign a ticket, and made an assumption that I had a weapon. Seemed to me that first cop called for backup to intimidate me or something.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
woodrow88

so this was in virgina...... in maryland wouldnt they just give you a repair order
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by woodrow88
so this was in virgina...... in maryland wouldnt they just give you a repair order
Yup. I'd say just pay it and keep it movin.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by davidmcc
If you have a couple of hours to kill why not? They'll likely not get the warrant anyway, merely refusing to consent to a search does not give probable cause to obtain a warrant. If that were the case they'd be able to search anyone at any time.
Theyt will tell the judge it looked like you pushed something down under the seat while you were pulling over and you are acting very nervous.

That is all it will take.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
KAT_Ayanami

Originally Posted by abui01
Watch both parts and during your next stop, you'll know exactly what to do and how to respond to their threats. In theory, they're just trying to sound like the boss, but you also have your own rights and options on how to handle the situation:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3sSBlh9lNI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pll2...eature=related
Great videos!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
woodrow88

VA police always seem to have something that deals with them in the Mid-A section..... how much is this ticket for no front plate???
Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Ahh... to be young again. I hate to say it, but if a cop wants to search your car, he is going to - end of story. He can do a "I saw you tailight flickering when you pulled over, we should check the trunk for a loose connection or I may have to write you another ticket". I had a cop ask me what I was reaching for when a friend got pulled over, it was his registration, but that was probable cause to get me and my friend out and search his car.

You can know your rights all you want, but the bottom line is that if the cop has the time and inclination, he/she can pretty much keep you there all day waiting on a warrant or tow your car in a not friendly manor.

For most of us putting your windows up is an invitation to yet another ticket for tint. Most cops would be more suspicious of drinking/smoking if you roll down your windows in the rain or cold to avoid this ticket, prompting a search, so its a lose/lose situation.

Reality IMHO is that the best way to not get hassled is to be polite, have a decent driving record and be over 30 yrs old. I used to get hassled all the time when I was younger, now I just get an occasional ticket, but never get asked to get out of the ar anymore. Then again, I don't live in NOVA either

Quick Reply: Harassed by Cops!! For front plate??