Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Nothing has changed after all (AAM)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this... if you need any help w/ your ECU, I can wipe flashes out for you. Stock FTW!

On a side note - I would imagine if a company borrows your car for an entire month that the flash would be free. Let's do the math: car insurance for a month is wha.. $100'ish? Property tax on your HR is probably $500-600 a year so wouldn't that make it $50/month. 65+ Dyno pulls = how many oil changes? at least 2? Cost of roughly 10 quarts x 2 filters could add up to $100-150 give or take (depending on which oil you use)

So they spent all your oil, didn't even change it. Kept your car.. well.. basically RENTED your car for a month.. how much do you think regular rental companies charge for 30 days? At least $32/day right... (roughly $900 right there) but that's besides the point.

The gas it costs to drive back and forth to and from AAM multiple times (and to my knowledge, in 08 the gas prices weren't $2 bucks a gallon, more like $5!)

In total, it costed you a minimum of $250.. but moreso on the edge of $300-350... and you still had to pay an extra $300 for the tune (which is causing your problems) So what exactly did you save? It would make more sense if the tune was refunded so you can recoupe some of your loss since you're not a satisfied customer. And isn't this industry about customer satisfaction? If you weigh your pros n cons - many would say "I'd rather pay the full price of $600 for that tune than be the guinea pig." Even though you "saved $300..." it costs you a lot more in the long run... even worse when you can't even drive her for a month! I hope everything works out and amends will be made. I'd hate to see these informative threads like these being posted up and then shut down the next day.

PS. IBTL!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Here we go again...

IBTL
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after seeing all the threads throughout I know one shop that will never see my business for work on the Z
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or

Other reminders of "AAM" threads include:

and other wtf moments such as

and lets not forget the instant classic: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1907543

FLAME SUIT ON!

Well - this is by no ways to disrespect the OP. I give you props for taking the bravery to go with AAM. Sucks had to turn into another AAM flame war. Well....IBTL.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 04-17-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Joe@Sage

Thats altered agree on a price it changes 5 times during the job, takes 3 times longer then they told you it would, then if theres a problem when its done charge you some more to fix what they did not get right the first time. And J T or anybody else wont change that because Mike is the final word and with him its all about the dollar, not a passion for what he does or customer service .
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never got charged when I took my car back to fix minor things. In fact once I gave them 30 minutes notice and a lift was ready when I got there. Have you tried calling them and talking directly to Clint, or JT? I seriously don't think casual conversations at a meet or PM's or emails are going to get the point across -- pick up the phone, now! I think you'll get everything sorted but you probably need to either call them for an appointment or just show up. Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited by djamps; 04-18-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 AM
sbZenth

Lets hope this one doesnt get locked. I dont see a reason for it to get locked. Im not attacking AAM in any shape or form. I just wanted to let everyone know that there was a false sense of optimism. We all thought they might change for the better, but no.

Originally Posted by sk26dett
I don't know why they think getting these threads deleted makes the situation better, imo it just makes them look spineless and clearly guilty.
To the op, good luck sorting it out, I personally wouldn't let them touch my car again if i was treated like that. Is there anyone else who can fix the flash, probably not i assume.
They are never going to touch my car. I dont care if mike agrees to fix it, or offers to flash it back to stock. He, and his shop, will never touch my car.

Originally Posted by djamps
I don't agree with how you're being treated but I still want to understand the story a bit more. I can't quite understand the timeline.
You said you're happy with the tune initially but later on it started running bad, a while after the tune? Have they had the car since? Could you at least lay out an order of operations?
Yes.

This is starting last summer....
1)Mike calls and talks to me about his tune for the HR. At this point, ive been purchasing AAM products for a while now, and ive gotten to know the AAM employees (as you can see in my signature)
2) I agree to bring my car to him to be the prototype for the HR tune at a price of 300.
3) I bring my car to AAM, and drop it off with excitement.
4) Mike tunes car
5) After a week or so, he tells me the car is ready and i go to pick it up. The drive from my house to AAM is an 1:30 hours.
6) initially, the car seems to be running really strong.
7) after about 75 miles, CEL comes on. The car looses lots of power. It studders at every launch, and the exhaust note changes for the worse and becomes unbearable.
8) I bring it back to mike. (drive 3 hours total)
9) For the next few days, mike has some problems with the car. He tells me he needs to adjust the OBDII sensors as well as some leaks in the exhaust. I say sure.
10) He takes it for a test drive and everything seems to be fine.
11) I go to pick it up. I get charged like 150 dollars for the adjustments (WTF!??).
12) I learn that Mike did 60~ dyno runs on my car. Didnt change the damn oil.
13) There was maybe a drop of gas left in the car.
14) after about 500 dollars and 65 dyno runs later, the car still runs like **** when the CEL comes back on.
15) I say f*** it and dont bring the car back to AAM.
side note: I think this happened three times, not two. I just cant remember.

Now fast forward to this years Spring Kick off meet....
16) I meet jeremy
17) I talk to mike, and tell him that the problems with the car are getting worse and worse.
18) Mike says he has no idea what im talking about and that he doesnt remember fixing my car like 3 times (WTF?)
19) on Dave and Russells advice, i decide to wait until later in the week to talk to mike about it.
20) since jeremy is the new tuner, i send him a PM. And this is where everything started. Now, this PM was over a month ago, and still no fuking answer from mike.

I hope that clarifies things. (Oh and my car still chokes if the CEL is on.)

Originally Posted by abui01
Sorry to hear this... if you need any help w/ your ECU, I can wipe flashes out for you. Stock FTW!

On a side note - I would imagine if a company borrows your car for an entire month that the flash would be free. Let's do the math: car insurance for a month is wha.. $100'ish? Property tax on your HR is probably $500-600 a year so wouldn't that make it $50/month. 65+ Dyno pulls = how many oil changes? at least 2? Cost of roughly 10 quarts x 2 filters could add up to $100-150 give or take (depending on which oil you use)

So they spent all your oil, didn't even change it. Kept your car.. well.. basically RENTED your car for a month.. how much do you think regular rental companies charge for 30 days? At least $32/day right... (roughly $900 right there) but that's besides the point.

The gas it costs to drive back and forth to and from AAM multiple times (and to my knowledge, in 08 the gas prices weren't $2 bucks a gallon, more like $5!)

In total, it costed you a minimum of $250.. but moreso on the edge of $300-350... and you still had to pay an extra $300 for the tune (which is causing your problems) So what exactly did you save? It would make more sense if the tune was refunded so you can recoupe some of your loss since you're not a satisfied customer. And isn't this industry about customer satisfaction? If you weigh your pros n cons - many would say "I'd rather pay the full price of $600 for that tune than be the guinea pig." Even though you "saved $300..." it costs you a lot more in the long run... even worse when you can't even drive her for a month! I hope everything works out and amends will be made. I'd hate to see these informative threads like these being posted up and then shut down the next day.

PS. IBTL!!!
Youre exactly right. And thats what my problem with this is. And i do want to flash my car back to stock. Lets just see what happens after this thread. And youre right about the cost to me. Plus, MY CAR RAN 65 DYNO RUNS ON THE SAME OIL! I think thats the worst part of it!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Sinan, I'm sorry - I didn't even know you were upset. I'm always down, as is Mike, to do what I can to help (otherwise I wouldn't be working here). Just give me a call. PM is not always the best way of contact as we've been pretty busy. I'll be at the shop for awhile today 301.330.8835

-Clint

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 04-18-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Changvi

Wow, this is not good news for AAM. Hope they turn it around. Otherwise, they will lose a ton of business.....
Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Always the threads on the minor things. All you have to do is come by and show us what is wrong. We cant diagnose things over pms.

Mike would gladly reflash the computer for you. I dont understand the need for a thread.

Please delete it and just stop by. Mike is very very busy and is always drawn a million different ways. He will definitely handle it if you just stop by.

Thanks..
Old 04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
sbZenth

Clint and Jeremy,

I have nothing against you guys. Clint, you're awesome, and have always been the guy i go to at AAM. I understand PMs aren't the best way to contact you but I don't really want to bring my car back to Mike. I've been thinking about flashing back to stock so the tune isn't really my worry.

Always the threads on the minor things? I dont think this to be very minor. This isnt about my dissatisfaction with the tune (besides, my car showed amazing gains with tune when it actually runs properly). Its beyond whats going on with my car. This is about the service and willingness to care about the customer.

As for stopping by, I cant just drive two hours out on a whim. The reason I made this thread is not to get your guys' attention because I am not looking for any fixing at this point. This is just my experience, but not my complaint. Chit happens. The way Mike has dismissed the situation a few times (even when i talked to him in detail in person) is very unprofessional; regardless if he is extremely busy.

And Clint, ill call you on Monday. I'm at work today so there's no way i can come out.

As for this thread, i cant delete it. Please, i do not want to argue with you guys in this thread. And im not going to. I dont want anything from Altered, im not looking for free service, and im not looking for any type of fix. If the tune on my car was the biggest issue here, i would have reflashed it back to stock already. Its the disappointment in the shop i stood up for for such a long time.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 AM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by tribal_visionz
they blew up my friends supercharged Z
Unnecessary comment.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by sbZenth
Unnecessary comment.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 PM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
[blah blah blah stupid images that dont pertain to anything]

Well - this is by no ways to disrespect the OP. I give you props for taking the bravery to go with AAM. Sucks had to turn into another AAM flame war. Well....IBTL.
Originally Posted by tribal_visionz
they blew up my friends supercharged Z
This is the kind of input that turns these threads into a flame war. I am in no way "flaming" AAM. 90% of my car's parts were made by AAM. They are a solid shop.

Please, lets keep these kinds of posts out of this thread so that this doesnt turn into a silly cat fight.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Car vs. Driver

Bummer to hear, hope you get it worked out.

Although, I have to point out that while there has been questionable service according to your story, I personally would not have left until my car was fixed and running perfectly the first time.. That's not against AAM or any other tuner, it's my personal belief to ensure that I get what I paid for.

Please update this thread with the end result of your saga. I think it's important to do that so people see how things end up for you and AAM in this situation.

-CvD

(For the record, I've been to AAM - they reflashed my ECU before I went FI and I had them flush my brakes, clutch and trans without any problems)
Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 PM
thefireboy

i find it wierd that it takes a thread about the op problems to get the attention of AAM and then all of a sudden everything in the world is offered.. and bad shop tries to become good shop....

dont worry i know how you(op) i sent a email to mike and clint about an issue over 2 weeks ago and i still have not gotten a response......
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by sbZenth
This is the kind of input that turns these threads into a flame war. I am in no way "flaming" AAM. 90% of my car's parts were made by AAM. They are a solid shop.

Please, lets keep these kinds of posts out of this thread so that this doesnt turn into a silly cat fight.
so why create a thread to bring it to everyone's attention? Its bount to be flame thread.

PMs would have been sufficient.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
so why create a thread to bring it to everyone's attention? Its bount to be flame thread.

PMs would have been sufficient.
Anytime someone starts a thread with anything bad about AAM it gets canned, edited and either locked or deleted.

its very one sided. If someone has something good to say, post it, but if someone feels they got jerked off, they need to keep it on the DL and PM even if that didn't solve anything in the first place?
hopefully this thread will stay here, unedited and have a good ending were everyone is happy.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Originally Posted by thefireboy
i find it wierd that it takes a thread about the op problems to get the attention of AAM and then all of a sudden everything in the world is offered.. and bad shop tries to become good shop....

dont worry i know how you(op) i sent a email to mike and clint about an issue over 2 weeks ago and i still have not gotten a response......
I thought AAM did your custom one off G37 TT build? Sounds like you aren't happy with them either.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 AM
matth76

Sounds like you had a pretty bad experience.

In your point: "11) I go to pick it up. I get charged like 150 dollars for the adjustments" - that is a bl**dy cheek charging you for the problems resulting from the work they did. I would never have paid anything. You paid them the initial $300 for the whole work to be done and it was un-satisfactory - they should have fixed it for free, or give you a full refund (it's law).

You then say in your post: "14) after about 500 dollars and 65 dyno runs later, the car still runs like **** when the CEL comes back on.
" - they charged you a further $500?? So in total you paid ~$150+$500 all for them to fix the problems that resulted after the initial flash and tune. I can totally understand why you would not want to take your car back getting charged for the problems to be fixed. However at the very least they should send you a cheque for $650, the cost you paid out PLUS a full refund for the initial $300 you paid out as you did not get what you paid for.

They don't need to see your car to know the problems that resulted - they just need to look at the invoices they gave you! Can't believe the cheek charging you to rectify the problems that resulted from their work. Of course things always go wrong but bad customer service is inexcusable. Public threads like this are the only way companies get their act together. Glad you made us aware. Hope you get it resolved.

Quick Reply: Nothing has changed after all (AAM)