Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

what a night!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 05:26 PM
Greddytwin350Z

Default what a night!

Well I want to start off by saying this is not a bashing of a shop or a lie! It is simply what happened to me.

Well with Spring being here. I finally got the car out of storage and scheduld to get my Greddy guages, Koyo radiator, Samco hoses, and Nismo stat installed. I got 2 qoutes from 2 shops. The first was from a shop that I have had nothing but positive experiences at (AAM). But I thought being that this wasnt the hardest install I would try a different shop. I was told about a closer place in Frederick (PFS). The qoute was substantually lower and after driving down and personally talking with Ray (owner), I made the arrangments to take it down. I took the car down on the 29th in the evening so it could be start on the 30th. Well, now seeing that they are very busy they didnt get the car done until the 5th. I was very excited and went to pick it up. I drove it on 40 all the way to Hagerstown and then at the first light by Hoffman Dodge the temp guage went up and so did the steam from underneath the hood. I quickly pulled the car into the car wash accross from the dodge dealership and called Ray. He came as quickly as he could with tools and his trailer. After doing a little investigation. We found that when the hoses were installed the bottom hose was up against the ac clutch. So when I turned on the defroster (rainy outside) the ac started cutting into the hose. If anyone knows me I am very **** about this car! So this was so disappointing. But since we didnt have another hose I opted to remove the front bumper so it could be loaded on his trailer. I ended up not getting home until after 10pm soaking wet, with ruined pants and sweatshirt. The next day I called PFS around noon to find out that they had ordered a replacement hose kit. Well today I received a call saying that the car should be done around noonish. So I went to pick it up today. And the 50mile ride home was nice and uneventful.

I will say that Ray is a very knowledgable/friendly/trustworthy guy. I even asked that he do a compression test just to help me sleep at night. He did so without even hesitating. I want to repeat that this isnt a bashing thread!!!! Simply my latest experience. I do like Ray but I can honestly say that I will probably be a very loyal costumer of AAM from now on. Nothing personal against PF Supercar or Ray.
Old 05-08-2009 | 05:43 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

^ Every once in a while mistakes happen in any business, the true test of someone's character is how they respond to a mistake they made. Sounds to me like Ray came to the rescue and did everything in his power to make things right by you. I don't have any experiences with Ray or PFS, but thats the kind of attitude I would want from the shop owner who I give my business to. Would other shops in your area do the same thing?
Old 05-08-2009 | 05:48 PM
Greddytwin350Z

I totally agree! But yes I think Mike (AAM) would do the same thing. If I just had my car worked on there and it broke down on the way home from the shop I know he would do the same thing.
Old 05-08-2009 | 05:50 PM
KAT_Ayanami

I dont understand this topic....

He did the install and there was ONE (1) problem. He came right after you called him right where you were!! (no tow trucks or crap saying "drop by").

He told you what was wrong and loaded the car back to the shop.

You got it fixed and he tried to further help you doing a compression test!!!

Dude, you should be saying "Thank you Ray, I will be back for more upgrades!!!"
Old 05-08-2009 | 05:56 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami
I dont understand this topic....

He did the install and there was ONE (1) problem. He came right after you called him right where you were!! (no tow trucks or crap saying "drop by").

He told you what was wrong and loaded the car back to the shop.

You got it fixed and he tried to further help you doing a compression test!!!

Dude, you should be saying "Thank you Ray, I will be back for more upgrades!!!"
Im with you on this one.
Old 05-08-2009 | 07:22 PM
Greddytwin350Z

I am not bashing PFS! I have alot of respect for Ray. He did handle this with the uptmost respect. And as far as not understanding, I thought this site is for people to discuss thier dealings whether they were positive or negative. If I had a horrible story you guys would be saying we fill bad and bashing the tuner. If you mean why would I not have PF do other work I just dont feel that the techs there have enough exsperience with 350Z's to work on them on thier own! If Ray personally did the work maybe then. But it doesnt work that way! I was spoiled by Frank when he was at AAM! I wrote a absolutly true statement about what happened to me. Not some here say that other people post and then everybody jumps in with more negativity. Ray runs a good business and stands behind his companies work.... What I meant by being a loyal costumer to AAM is they work on these cars 24/7/365!!! Thats the difference. Any shop can make an oversite. I understand that. Again, I was simply posting what happened to me! Everyone else make your own decision on where you take your ride! Thats not what this thread was about.
Old 05-08-2009 | 10:15 PM
Vader007

I also have props for Ray @ PFS!
Old 05-08-2009 | 11:32 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

I think your reaction to the events were strange, you give praise to Ray for standing by his work, and for going above and beyond to make things right for you. Then you say you won't ever give him your business again. Clearly that is negitive feedback, some might call it "bashing". Its a backhanded complement in any event. I think thats why people are confused by your post.

Here is a flow chart of your reaction to the situation:
Ray = Good guy > PFS Tech's don't know 350z's > Ray Still Good Guy > No more PFS for Greddytwin350z > AAM OWNZU
Old 05-09-2009 | 05:26 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Originally Posted by PhiSig
I think your reaction to the events were strange, you give praise to Ray for standing by his work, and for going above and beyond to make things right for you. Then you say you won't ever give him your business again. Clearly that is negitive feedback, some might call it "bashing". Its a backhanded complement in any event. I think thats why people are confused by your post.

Here is a flow chart of your reaction to the situation:
Ray = Good guy > PFS Tech's don't know 350z's > Ray Still Good Guy > No more PFS for Greddytwin350z > AAM OWNZU
I think all of what I wrote makes good sense. You were not in my shoes Tues night when I was laying on the ground in the rain after I just handed over over 1k an hour earlier ripping off my V.2 so it could be loaded on his trailer!!! I clearly said that Ray is a good tech, but he isnt the one who works on the cars 100% of the time. I am thankful that Ray did the right thing. But in my exsperience I am now sure I want a Z/G shop working on my car because the next upgrade might be an engine build! Would you take your Chevy to a Ford dealer to do and engine overhaul? That makes perfect sense. This site sometimes has dumb people who want to analize stuff instead of using common sense! I am in no way telling people not take thier own ride to Ray. Just my own personal preference to go to a Z/G shop instead of a Mazda shop. Communication, isnt that what this site is about? For real Z enthusiust to discuss exsperiences. Its real easy for people who have 2k or 3k in upgrades to make judgements about stuff but when you have close to 20k invested in upgrades in your ride you tend to be a little more cautious who puts thier hands on your car!

Last edited by Greddytwin350Z; 05-09-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2009 | 09:55 AM
r0csfinest

oh the irony
Old 05-09-2009 | 10:34 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

lol I had the exact same issue but we installed the samco hoses ourselves. It's very hard to know since the hose looks like it works either way. My car was towed to AAM whe fluid was leaking since it broke down around that area. Frank still worked for AAM at the time and without evening looking under the hood he sugguested that's the issue and he ended up being right. Ray is probably a good mechanic but he might just not be as experienced with the Z compared to other guys out there.
Old 05-09-2009 | 11:02 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Originally Posted by bb1314
lol I had the exact same issue but we installed the samco hoses ourselves. It's very hard to know since the hose looks like it works either way. My car was towed to AAM whe fluid was leaking since it broke down around that area. Frank still worked for AAM at the time and without evening looking under the hood he sugguested that's the issue and he ended up being right. Ray is probably a good mechanic but he might just not be as experienced with the Z compared to other guys out there.
Well put! It must be a pretty common thing. I know that Ray himself didnt do the radiator/hoses,stat instal. He said so. But I believe he did the second time around. He pulled it off the stat neck alittle and then even though there was plenty of room he added a Zip tie around it to the shroud. Damn it why did Frank have to leave AAM

Last edited by Greddytwin350Z; 05-09-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2009 | 12:40 AM
BamBam

If you have to ask that last question, then I suggest you ask Frank as he would be the only person who really knows.
My thought is he always wanted to run his own shop and after years of experience working for others, he figured now was a good time to branch out on his own. You can still call him to discuss your worries..
Old 05-10-2009 | 07:12 AM
ajcool2

HIlls Garage 410-636-5554
Old 05-10-2009 | 10:13 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Originally Posted by ajcool2
HIlls Garage 410-636-5554
Thanks, but I dont want to go to Bal. Again, thanks for his number though.
Old 05-11-2009 | 04:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by PhiSig
I think your reaction to the events were strange, you give praise to Ray for standing by his work, and for going above and beyond to make things right for you. Then you say you won't ever give him your business again.
+1

PFS isnt just a Mazda shop. Doing FD's is what they are known for, but he tunes 2JZ's, VQ's etc very well. He arguably has tuned the fastest 2 VQ's in the Mid-A, he knows his $hit. To discredit his shop because of a human error is silly. Ive had similar situations with Sharif but I know they are only mistakes, once you get over the fact that you got your shirt wet/ruined you may see the big picture...he took care of you.
Old 05-11-2009 | 06:51 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1

PFS isnt just a Mazda shop. Doing FD's is what they are known for, but he tunes 2JZ's, VQ's etc very well. He arguably has tuned the fastest 2 VQ's in the Mid-A, he knows his $hit. To discredit his shop because of a human error is silly. Ive had similar situations with Sharif but I know they are only mistakes, once you get over the fact that you got your shirt wet/ruined you may see the big picture...he took care of you.
Alberto I agreed with you on PFS having extensive knowledge. I've heard a lot of good things about this shop and the way Ray handled this particular situation was a good example of good customer service!

But at the same time you can also argue that if it was someone else says Frank from Hills Garage who did the Samco hoses install, the problem would not have happened because Frank truly specializes in our cars and had already gone through all the common issues like this particular one.

PS: If I have a FD, I know Ray would be the man! I wouldn't take my FD to Frank or Dave Shiroma. I guess this makes my point.
Old 05-11-2009 | 12:46 PM
Greddytwin350Z

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1

Alberto with all do respect to you I wasnt trying to discredit PFS. If you talk to Ray in person you can tell he is very knowledgable. I met with him a month before I took the car down and discussed what I was wanting. I was impressed and the price was right so I decided it was a good decision. I then made an apointment. I thought Ray would be doing the majority of the work. That assumption was my mistake. He is very hands on but not 100%. I feel very strongly that if he would've done all the work it would have gotten done right the first time. The point I was trying to make was I didnt feel his staff around him had alot of knowledge in VQ's or z's for that matter. Like what was stated above if the work would have been done by Frank a lower hose against the ac clutch would have not been over looked. And again, I will say Ray handled the situation as a true professional. The only reason I made the statement about leaning more towards AAM is because I hope to be able to have a motor built. Even though Rays Z is extremmly powerful. Knowing he built it. How do I know he personally would be doing the engine build? Even at AAM if/when the time comes for a motor build I will talk exstensivly with the person building it!!!
Old 05-11-2009 | 12:53 PM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

if im getting my motor built, only one person would touch it. frrr--hhannnkkk
Old 05-11-2009 | 03:15 PM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by .steeeeZ33.
if im getting my motor built, only one person would touch it. frrr--hhannnkkk
If my motor is going in diagonally I choose STEEEEZ

Quick Reply: what a night!