Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Anne Arundel County. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:34 AM
MDHRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm pretty sure I’ll be in Odenton tomorrow or Saturday looking at more houses. Edgewater and Riva are out of the picture. The one in Edgewater was a short sale and the previous owners destroyed the carpets and walls. The house in Riva was built in 1971 and the neighborhood looked run down. Some homes had grass growing in the gutters. There were a few houses in Riva that I liked but they were WAY out of my price range (800k-900k lol). I’m a first time home buyer so I’m really not looking for anything over 349k.

Originally Posted by woodrow88
PG ftw lol annap isnt ghetto lol i like davidsonvile
There are def some ghetto parts of Annapolis (21403). I guess for the most part it’s ok though. Downtown has a small ghetto also (Clay st). I'd considered Davidsonville but there’s really nothing I can afford there.

Originally Posted by shocka04
I dont think Annapolis is anywhere near as ghetto as Waldorf is becoming
True. Not saying Annapolis is ghetto but it does have it’s areas. By far a much better place to live than Waldorf. It’s depressing going back to Waldorf when I’m visiting AA County.

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I live in Piney Orchard, located within Odenton.

Odenton is an older city, however there's a few really nice pockets, IMO Piney Orchard is hands down the best place in Anne Arundel IF you don't mind not having a big yard. Also cost is a bit high, however its smack dab in the middle of DC/Baltimore/Annapolis. minutes from NSA and Ft Meade.

Annpolis is really nice but almost all the houses you'll end up looking at will be down forest drive aka 655. There's very nice houses mixed in with lower end houses and some nice and low end apartments. 655 has traffic on it pretty much every single day from 5-6, I took a Hispanic girl I was dating to a restaurant and she told me she hasn't felt so close to home before. Hispanics are everywhere. Crime is also pretty bad down that way.

Down town Annapolis is pricey, TONS of traffic and very little parking. no thanks.
If you're willing to go for an Apartment http://www.stonepointapartments.com/ is a good choice, it's located near best buy, however reviews have listed issues with noise due to the sams club restocking late at night.

Crownsville is nice but mostly single family homes. Millersville is also nice. Davidsonville is great, however unless you're willing to fork out at least 600K chances are the houses are out of your range.

Columbia is nice, just keep in mind, if you buy a house chances are taxes will be at least 1500+ more a year.

Piney Orchard has some nice garaged apartments, I use to live http://www.dolben.com/communities/pr...x?propertyID=2

I spent 3.5 years there and really enjoyed it, in fact I did my turbo install in my garage at that place. =)

4 doors down from me there's a 1 car garage 3 bedroom town house ( I believe 4 bathroom) for rent, $1700.00 Only down side is the first town house has a turbo Z, the 2nd town house has an 07? Z, their house volvo then the 4th house (yours?) would be yet another damn Z....

I'll dig around for info for you on that town house. but $1700.00 is friggin cheap, the HOA in piney orchard alone is just over 100...

I love it here =)

I'll try to dig up some info for you on that house.
Thanks for all the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. I spent most of my day in AA County yesterday and got stuck in the traffic on 655 around 5 PM. If I transfer to Ft. Meade and live in Odenton then I’d be loving life. It’s not that far at all. DC traffic FTL!

http://www.weichert.com/25652604/ this house is 2 doors down.

I can't find the listing on their website but this is the craigs list listing of the house for rent.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/1156137684.html

I was wrong, it has 2 masters bedrooms, however, I do remember her telling me the basement is finished with a full bathroom so that could be a 3rd.

Bigslim SHOULD have jumped on this house.... ohwell.
Hopefully I can view the first one you listed either today or tomorrow. I just sent my Real Estate agent an email about it. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen yet and it looks like a really nice TH. Not sure how I missed this one before.

Originally Posted by Barnabas
I live in pasadena down the road from severn/odenton, Im with everyone else Odenton is a reasonablly priced pretty nice area to live.
I did look through a few listings in Pasadena but it seems kind of far from DC. Def a nice area with reasonable prices though.

Originally Posted by deblooz
I've lived in both Crofton and Odenton and have liked both places. I lived in Crofton before I was stationed overseas, then settled in Odenton to be closer to Ft Meade. Definitely consider Odenton or Piney Orchard. Odenton has a mix of new and older neighborhoods. Check them out.
Thanks man. I have a few friends who live in Crofton and love it. Has some spotty areas though but that’s pretty much everywhere I guess. I’m def checking out Odenton/Piney Orchard real soon.

Last edited by MDHRZ; 06-04-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea Pasadena is a little bit of a drive for a daily commute to DC.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 AM
MDHRZ

Just heard back from my agent. Going to Odenton tomorrow to look at a few places. Should be there in the evening to look at the one in Piney Orchard. Hopefully all the stress of trying to find a place will end tomorrow!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 AM
JRock637

I have lived in Annapolis all my life (21401 area) But Annapolis is like a major big little city. It has EVERYTHING all in 1. The good and the bad. But there are about 5 ghettos that you must know not to enter haha. But outside of that you can literally leave your car unlocked down town nobody will mess with it. The mall is really nice, bar hoping down town is fun as hell, going out on boats, we got beaches, tons of good food places, And you got everything within 5 mile radius you'd never have to leave town for anything. Just come down take a day to ride around and find the good spots. Like Edgewater, Riva, Arnold other suburbs of Annapolis have hit or miss spots too but you just gotta know where to look.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by JRock637
I have lived in Annapolis all my life (21401 area) But Annapolis is like a major big little city. It has EVERYTHING all in 1. The good and the bad. But there are about 5 ghettos that you must know not to enter haha. But outside of that you can literally leave your car unlocked down town nobody will mess with it. The mall is really nice, bar hoping down town is fun as hell, going out on boats, we got beaches, tons of good food places, And you got everything within 5 mile radius you'd never have to leave town for anything. Just come down take a day to ride around and find the good spots. Like Edgewater, Riva, Arnold other suburbs of Annapolis have hit or miss spots too but you just gotta know where to look.
I was in Annapolis on Saturday night and we went to a few bars downtown. I must say it was a lot of fun and I'd definilety wouldn't mind going again this weekend lol. Also did some shopping at the mall and it's by far one on the nicest malls around. Sunday we went back downtown and ate at Pussers on the water. Got to sit outside and see all the boats while we ate. The food was on point!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
JRock637

Nice ya i love it down here. You feel like your not living in Maryland more like a southern town on the water in a remote location of GA. It's a different style of life for the most part down here. Altho traffic is getting nuts i think everyone wants to move here now. Look into the new Parole apartment condo's, You may not want a appartment but they are badass. From the top you can see all the way across the bay to Kent Island and beyond. There is a gym and lounge with pool up top as well. You get a garage to park your car in and i think the 2 bedrooms start from the low low 200's.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Joy_ride

Originally Posted by JRock637
Nice ya i love it down here. You feel like your not living in Maryland more like a southern town on the water in a remote location of GA. It's a different style of life for the most part down here. Altho traffic is getting nuts i think everyone wants to move here now. Look into the new Parole apartment condo's, You may not want a appartment but they are badass. From the top you can see all the way across the bay to Kent Island and beyond. There is a gym and lounge with pool up top as well. You get a garage to park your car in and i think the 2 bedrooms start from the low low 200's.
Jason is that you! Coming out of hiding :P
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark is the owners name of the Townhouse, he's a good guy, works for DOD like most everyone else here, if hes home tell him Jeff on the end sent you to his house.

you missed the listing because its been on the market like 2 days. If you see a red benz in the driveway at the end of the street (first house) hit me up on my cell (check PM) I'll come out and meet you, maybe you'll be lucky and I'll let you peak in the garage.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
TrinitySRT
Banned

just stay away from Glen Dirty and P-Dena. lol
it's like a baby PG County.

Odenton/Ft. Meade/Severn is a nice area from what ive seen though.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by [MD]3FiFtY
I was in Annapolis on Saturday night and we went to a few bars downtown. I must say it was a lot of fun and I'd definilety wouldn't mind going again this weekend lol. Also did some shopping at the mall and it's by far one on the nicest malls around. Sunday we went back downtown and ate at Pussers on the water. Got to sit outside and see all the boats while we ate. The food was on point!
^^^^
Havnt been to downtown annapolis in awile.
But i went to acme bar with my lady friend wed night had a damn good time.
Forgot how much i liked there bar district so to speak.
Goods time were had just wish i had the money to live there.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
JRock637

Originally Posted by Joy_ride
Jason is that you! Coming out of hiding :P
No no nooo this is not him....shhh.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 PM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by TrinitySRT
just stay away from Glen Dirty and P-Dena. lol
it's like a baby PG County.

Odenton/Ft. Meade/Severn is a nice area from what ive seen though.
Yea I've heard Glen Burnie isn't the greatest but haven't heard much about Pasadena until now. I could probably deal with a baby PG County since I'm dealing with an almost full blown PG County at the moment lol.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by 350zfan1
^^^^
Havnt been to downtown annapolis in awile.
But i went to acme bar with my lady friend wed night had a damn good time.
Forgot how much i liked there bar district so to speak.
Goods time were had just wish i had the money to live there.
Good times for sure. I'm going to check out O'Brians next time I'm there. There were a lot of people out last weekend and everyone was pretty chill.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
jeffie7

Oh, gotta add, if you move into either then rental or buy the house, you must get an asian GF. This street is all about white guys and asians.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:17 AM
MDHRZ

Oh, gotta add, if you move into either then rental or buy the house, you must get an asian GF. This street is all about white guys and asians.
I would have accomplished all of my goals if that happens!

I have a good feeling about tomorrow. I've heard nothing but good things about Odenton. The weather is supposed to be good to
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 AM
MDHRZ

I'll be looking at this one also --> http://www.weichert.com/24804423/?cityid=37696&pg=6

Kind of pricey but nice. Two car garage FTW!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:28 AM
bigslim350Z

Interesting.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:30 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by bigslim350Z
Interesting.
+1000
Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by [MD]3FiFtY
I'll be looking at this one also --> http://www.weichert.com/24804423/?cityid=37696&pg=6

Kind of pricey but nice. Two car garage FTW!
I'd so rock that townhome, strawberry lake is a great road, you can EASILY walk to GORC park, its all of 1/8 mile from there. those town homes are very nice and about 2 years old, I lived directly across the street from them when they went up. 350 is nothing VS what they were.

Only down side is while you do pick up an extra garage, you do not have any land. The town house I'm in (and the one you're looking at) has a good bit of land for a Piney Orchard town house. Not much, but a lot more then you'd think. Most people go, wow, that's a big yard.

If you're going to have kids anytime soon or have a dog. It might be worth passing them up.

My land value is worth way more then my house, sad but true.

BTW, the town houses I'm in are 1991 built. a good bit older. I'd love a 2 car garage, but it is nice having a yard, Linhs very happy that she's able to plant a bunch of stuff. Also the decks are very large.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 AM
MDHRZ

I'd so rock that townhome, strawberry lake is a great road, you can EASILY walk to GORC park, its all of 1/8 mile from there. those town homes are very nice and about 2 years old, I lived directly across the street from them when they went up. 350 is nothing VS what they were.

Only down side is while you do pick up an extra garage, you do not have any land. The town house I'm in (and the one you're looking at) has a good bit of land for a Piney Orchard town house. Not much, but a lot more then you'd think. Most people go, wow, that's a big yard.

If you're going to have kids anytime soon or have a dog. It might be worth passing them up.

My land value is worth way more then my house, sad but true.

BTW, the town houses I'm in are 1991 built. a good bit older. I'd love a 2 car garage, but it is nice having a yard, Linhs very happy that she's able to plant a bunch of stuff. Also the decks are very large.
Just got back from looking at both of them. I put an offer on the one for 305k next to you. There's already been one offer before mine and it's only been 4 days! If that one falls through then I'll put an offer on the one for 349k which has been on the market for over 60 days. They are both extremely nice and the community is awesome. The one with the two car garage had so much space. Not worried about a yard or kids right now. I'll be the only one living there for a while. I was going to give you a call but time was kind of an issue today. I'll let you know how everything works out though.

Quick Reply: Anne Arundel County. Need opinions.