Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Ye Olde Wheel Shop [?]

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM
NZMOWND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hrmiracle
After putting off the hour drive from VA to Bmore for nearly 2 months now and multiple failed attempts at other "wheel repair" aka "rape you and take your monies" shops, I finally manned up and drove there yesterday.

1.5 week turnaround is sucking the life out of my soul, but he says he can get the wheel back to 95% PLUS they gave me a stocker wheel to drive on for the duration.

I'll attest to the curt attitude over the phone, but when I met the guys, they were pretty helpful. Then again, I have *****...

Aside - my shoulda-been-1-hour-commute home took 4 hours. Thanks rain and crappy semi-drivers who jump medians.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Red wheels would look sick on Silverstone.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImWeeZzel
I just don't like people who run a business and can't even be polite to their customers.
When dealing w/ Asians, the common rule of thumb is: The MORE rude they are, the BETTER the service/product. This business isn't ran by white folks, within the Asian community, this is pretty much standard business practices. The ones that are all nice n crap to you are the shady ones (which you should avoid.) In fact, every time I'm at an Asian restaurant and get treated like a **** stain on the carpet, I can automatically assume the food will be absolutely AWESOME.

At any rate, YOWS repaired one of my rims to absolute perfection. Better than any VA shop I've ever taken my car to.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

LOL @ that explanation
Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

^ Yup. I agree 100%.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM
thepitt02

Do you guys think they could straighten a Work S1, repolish all four barrels, and reclear them? I live in Hampton Roads and not so easy to take a trip up there to get an estimate and am figuring about $800 for all of it. Plus there are no good shops down here.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by thepitt02
Do you guys think they could straighten a Work S1, repolish all four barrels, and reclear them? I live in Hampton Roads and not so easy to take a trip up there to get an estimate and am figuring about $800 for all of it. Plus there are no good shops down here.

Polish no problem but they don't clear over that. They need to see it see for straightening.

Kewbo is sitting next to me, laughing at your busted a$$ tims....
Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 PM
thepitt02

Originally Posted by Alberto
Polish no problem but they don't clear over that. They need to see it see for straightening.

Kewbo is sitting next to me, laughing at your busted a$$ tims....
Busted they may be, but DD them and last winter with the salt did wonders on the clear coat. I wouldn't mind not having a clear coat on them, but cleaning would be a pain with the rivets.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the rude by phone but fine in person. He stuck all 4 of my wheels on the 'bend-o-meter' (for free) and had no problem telling me even though he could fix them they were POS and not worth fixing. I have respect for that, a lesser shop would have just raped me.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
hrmiracle

Update:

Dropped off my wheels at Old Ye ... they said it would be a 1.5 week wait. 2 weeks later I called and they said the wheel was ready to be picked up. Picked wheel up on a Saturday! Said it was 95% perfect and immediately drove to NTB to order a replacement tire (hole in the side wall... blah blah... purchases a warranty from them, so I had few options). Real specific tire they don't keep on hand, so waited 2 weeks (I think an idiot messed up the order) and FINALLY TODAY, they put the tire on!

YAY!

not. Went downstairs a second ago to check on the car (washed it)... tire is completely flat. another trip to Baltimore is sucking the life from my very soul. This is the shittiest thing I've ever been through with a car. Hoping Old Ye can keep up with their reputation, fix the wheel for good and let me rest in peace.

*sad*

Last edited by hrmiracle; 10-06-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:46 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by hrmiracle
Update:

Dropped off my wheels at Old Ye ... they said it would be a 1.5 week wait. 2 weeks later I called and they said the wheel was ready to be picked up. Picked wheel up on a Saturday! Said it was 95% perfect and immediately drove to NTB to order a replacement tire (hole in the side wall... blah blah... purchases a warranty from them, so I had few options). Real specific tire they don't keep on hand, so waited 2 weeks (I think an idiot messed up the order) and FINALLY TODAY, they put the tire on!

YAY!

not. Went downstairs a second ago to check on the car (washed it)... tire is completely flat. another trip to Baltimore is sucking the life from my very soul. This is the shittiest thing I've ever been through with a car. Hoping Old Ye can keep up with their reputation, fix the wheel for good and let me rest in peace.

*sad*
So what was wrong with the rim before you went to ye olde? Did it leak or something? Could be something stupid like valve stem which would be tire installer error.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

+1 I was about to say is it a valve stem?

Kewbo will take care of you, make sure you ask for him....KEWBO
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
hrmiracle

Originally Posted by djamps
So what was wrong with the rim before you went to ye olde? Did it leak or something? Could be something stupid like valve stem which would be tire installer error.
Originally Posted by Alberto
+1 I was about to say is it a valve stem?

Kewbo will take care of you, make sure you ask for him....KEWBO
Well that's the thing, Ye Olde saved my *** (and I called Kewbo and he said he'd take a look at it... yay!).

Another shop had messed it up... Ye Olde was fixing up a botched job. It's a super slow leak, but I'm 99% sure it's not the tire... the tire is 100% brand new as of yesterday. Just got it put on.

Djamps, you think it still could be the valve stem issue? If so, that would be AWESOME since my tire shop is 5 minutes away and Ye Olde is 1.5 hours away.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably is the stem as at my shop we get defects now and then
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM
djamps

Take it to the tire shop they can stick it in some water and see where it's leaking.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 AM
abui01

all you have to do to check for leaks is to mix a bit of soap and water in a bowl, then splash it in the general area where you think it's leaking. Check for bubbles.