Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

wireless router

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009 | 06:54 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

Default wireless router

WTF is wrong with technology. I just bought a wireless router and it wont connect my other laptops to the internet. Its sayin the password is wrong and stuff... Its gettin so frustrating. Is there anyone that can come look at for me. I dont understand it. uuuuggggg
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:01 AM
jubes

Originally Posted by Lv2DC_Z
WTF is wrong with technology. I just bought a wireless router and it wont connect my other laptops to the internet. Its sayin the password is wrong and stuff... Its gettin so frustrating. Is there anyone that can come look at for me. I dont understand it. uuuuggggg
Are you sure you're connecting to the right network? Is the router used?
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:03 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

LOL.. password for? Did you setup WEP on the router? Look at the manual and try to reset the router to default setting. Usually it's just holding the "reset" button down for a few seconds. Once it's reset, setup your WEP over so you know for sure what password you used. If this is for home, just setup MAC filtering.... your computers don't have any top secret or important financial data.
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:06 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

I live in an apt so everyone can get on if no password. The lowest i see i can use it wep.
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:09 AM
Jgrizzle

turn it off and turn it back on. If not hit with big rock
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:10 AM
vtchang

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...945257,00.html

I would direct your attention to bullet #7. I had a similar issue when an older laptop did not support WPA2 and thus could not connect to the wireless router. If that is the case for you, check the laptop's support page for updated drivers.

If that doesn't work, perhaps the area is heavily traffic'd with other WiFi signal (happens in apt). In that case, go find a 5Ghz band wireless router and upgrade everything to 802.11n OR get a WRT54g and flash it to support 13 channels (FCC only allows 11 channels) so your signal will be free and clear of others.

I hate technology as well. Never works when you want it to.

Good Luck.

-Ray
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:27 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I live in an apt so everyone can get on if no password. The lowest i see i can use it wep.
Or you can use MAC filtering instead. It's sooo easy to setup. Have a computer connected to the router through a cable. Then open up a browser and type in the IP for the router. Log in then look for "MAC Filtering" option under probably Wireless Security. Add all your computers/laptops' MAC addresses into that list. The disable WEP. You're DONE! Your neighbors won't be able to hit use your internet this way and you won't ever have to worry about password and such. A hacker can definitely fake their computer to act like they're part of your network. But again.. WEP is just as easy to break for a hacker (Don't ask me how I know all these). If you don't know how to get MAC address... here's the instruction.

On Windows, go to "Start" -> "Run". Then type in "cmd". This will open up command prompt. Then in hte command prompt, type in "ipconfig /all". The row that says "Physical Address". That's your MAC address. Go back and add that address into your router's MAC filtering list. It's usually something like 00-43-1C-23-6B. Don't put the dashes into your MAC filtering list. They're just there for you to read because they're hex numbers and each pair of characters mean something for us computer geeks.
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:28 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

had some guy on their tech support fix my xp comp but i like my vista comp is beyond repair lol
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:31 AM
Darkpath

check to make sure you have it set up to deliver more than 1 IP address... If not it will deliver only one - which means No Wireless IP addresses are being served to the other laptops.

To do this set a range like:

Set 5 beginning with 192.168.0.1 (will produce the following IPs)

Then make sure all computer are set up to "Obtain IP address automatically"
(Look under network connections)
Start
Control Panel
Network Connections
(new window opens)
Local Area Connection - right click - choose properties from drop down
(new window opens)
scroll down to TCP/IP - Highlight - select Properties
Click buttons next to "Obtain...Automatic" (two of them)

After setting WEP key - EACH computer must connect by using the same wep key
All computer must be capable of using the same WEP protocol as selected at router.
ie WEP , WPA etc... If something is old and outdated... Set router for the oldest protocol you can connect with - the newer ones should be downward compatible.
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:41 AM
vtchang

I'd stay away from WEP and mac filtering as your primary source of protection. Apt complexes are filled with bastard kids. If you value your information, do things right and setup WPA2. It takes just as much time to find your MAC address and enter them into the router as typing in a PSK into each computer. If you don't have a WPA2 supported card, a new wireless card is cheap and def worth a lot more than stolen information.

WEP can be cracked in 40 minutes of youtube traffic and mac filtering can be 'broken' with a single command line.
Old 06-16-2009 | 07:58 AM
abui01

buncha comp nerds up in diz joint!

Or if you're a super cool nerd like myself, get an air card and receive internet on your laptop anywhere in the world!
Old 06-16-2009 | 08:00 AM
vtchang

Which air card do you have that allows you to get internet signal all over the world?
Old 06-16-2009 | 08:35 AM
Project3fiftyZ

Yeah man...WPA2 or don't bother doing any online bill payment or banking. Someone could pull your whole life down if you are not careful with a free data sniffing tool.
Old 06-16-2009 | 09:45 AM
rockinbboy

Wireless?! blah..I GO WIRED ALL DAY LONG!!