Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Sway Bars!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 06:06 AM
Jgrizzle

Default Sway Bars!

What are the possible draw backs for setting my sway bars to the stiffest setting front and rear.

What are some of the benefits?

Or is this a driver preference thing: oversteer vs understeer.

Abui?
Old 06-19-2009 | 06:15 AM
0jiggy0

Driver preference for the most part. But having the front bar completely stiff will probly give you too much understeer. Some people like a very stiff rear bar but depending on your tire setup you may have too much oversteer. What is the rest of your suspension setup(Tires, alignment, springs and shocks/struts)
Old 06-19-2009 | 06:22 AM
Jgrizzle

Pretty basic right now. I mean its my daily driver so I have Eagle F1 all seasons stock sizes. And the standard noob tein s tech springs Im really just starting out and trying to learn about all this stuff. I have hotchkis sways also and SPC endlinks. Standard alignment every 6 months.... yay feathering.

I felt a huge difference when the sways were put on. (hard front medium rear. still have one more pin to make it hader up front I believe and one more harder in the rear) for the most part I havent started tracking the car or anything as I have standard 03 synchro problems which makes the car a little annoying to drive. Just some spirited road driving. Nothing unsafe. I dunno. My question was just more an informational one compared to one specifically for me. I mean there is a lot of stuff I need to learn about my "stock" car before I start getting really crazy. baby steps, baby steps.

I must also add that I put the TEIN stickers in my corner windows. Will the added 10hp change anything?
Old 06-19-2009 | 07:15 AM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

i run 255 Azenis up front with my progress set at half stiff and i run a 275 azenis in the rear at the sway set stiffest.

runnin the wider tire up front killed a lot of understeer for me. im also on BC racing coilovers at 29clicks front and 22clicks rear.. so its pretty stiff up front.
Old 06-19-2009 | 07:28 AM
abui01

It's all preference. For everyday driving, I'd set it at hard front medium rear.
Old 06-19-2009 | 07:34 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Hey Jonathan I run Cusco sway bars front and rear and set both to the stiffest setting. Yea the problem is mainly the understeer. Funny enough when I put on some aftermarket endlinks (SPL to be specific) the understeer seemed to go away and the handling was sooo freaking good afterward! One of these days we'll hit the backroad and you'll see how I attempt to keep up with abui01 after 2 Long Island Ice Tea
Old 06-19-2009 | 07:43 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Thanks for asking jonathan I need to figure out where to set mine when I get home...

For you suspension experts.. Here is my soon to be set up

BC Coils
Hotchkis sways
Eibach rear camber and toe
Cusco Front camber kit
Powergrid endlinks...
Old 06-19-2009 | 07:50 AM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by abui01
It's all preference. For everyday driving, I'd set it at hard front medium rear.
I took your advice on that when I first got em. I was just seeing now that I know a little more if it was worth messing around with em right now. Maybe when I get a little more comfy. You were right though. Sways were a great investment. Makes me think coilovers would be a ton of fun and good bang for the buck feeling wise.

Originally Posted by bb1314
Hey Jonathan I run Cusco sway bars front and rear and set both to the stiffest setting. Yea the problem is mainly the understeer. Funny enough when I put on some aftermarket endlinks (SPL to be specific) the understeer seemed to go away and the handling was sooo freaking good afterward! One of these days we'll hit the backroad and you'll see how I attempt to keep up with abui01 after 2 Long Island Ice Tea
I really gotta hang out with you guys one of these days. I want a ride in the subby wicked bad. Im wearing a helmet though.
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:02 AM
vtchang

Something to consider.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-bar-help.html

Cliff Notes:
Too stiff = loss of traction
You want the car to squat, dive and roll (to a certain degree)
But like everybody says, for DD its all about preference.
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:06 AM
Jgrizzle

Sweet thanks man.

As always the Mid A is quick to help. Word
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:09 AM
woodrow88

is sway bars a must have? like is it worth it
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:23 AM
abui01

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Makes me think coilovers would be a ton of fun and good bang for the buck feeling wise.
Coilovers = 100% worth it. Night/Day difference. But if you even THINK about getting Tein/BC/KSport i will keeeeellll yuuuuu!!!
Originally Posted by woodrow88
HELLZ YEAH!
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:25 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by woodrow88
It depends on what you're into. Like Abui01, I'm all about the handling and being able to take turns fast. I could care less about making 100000HP because driving fast on a straight road doesn't really get me pumped except for the fear of getting pulled over. Sway bars + coilovers make some serious difference!
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:27 AM
MDHRZ

Anyone want to weigh in on the differences between the Cusco front a-arms vs. the Ichiba front a-rms? They look like an exact replica of one another but Ichibia is almost half the price. Paying for the name?

Old 06-19-2009 | 08:27 AM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by abui01
Coilovers = 100% worth it. Night/Day difference. But if you even THINK about getting Tein/BC/KSport i will keeeeellll yuuuuu!!!

HELLZ YEAH!
we also had this discussion. I was contemplating GReddy but thats a ways off. I need to get a new transmission first but I am having the hardest time finding a used 009. Anyone got one laying around underneath old ricer wings and spare tires?
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:29 AM
Jgrizzle

And woody I drove my friends roadster last week with stock everything. I only drove it to work once because it didnt handle as well. Felt really odd driving it around, like I didnt have the same control. Sway bars were such a good investment and they really arent that expensive at all.
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:30 AM
woodrow88

It depends on what you're into. Like Abui01, I'm all about the handling and being able to take turns fast. I could care less about making 100000HP because driving fast on a straight road doesn't really get me pumped except for the fear of getting pulled over. Sway bars + coilovers make some serious difference!
i like alittle of both hmm i think im going to get some any recomendations on what kind to buy
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:32 AM
Jgrizzle

+1

Plus a sick handling car is way cheaper to achieve than 10000000000hp hahahaha.

(I just say that because I will never have the money laying around for anything like these
Attached Thumbnails Sway Bars!-photo.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:33 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by [MD]3FiFtY
Anyone want to weigh in on the differences between the Cusco front a-arms vs. the Ichiba front a-rms? They look like an exact replica of one another but Ichibia is almost half the price. Paying for the name?

they are not the same

different bushings, and Ichiba have no positive adjustment IIRC

price wise, they aren't much different either - under $100 difference

Cusco also sells replacement ball joint assemblies, don't know if Ichiba does or not (when you call out there for info, it's very hit/miss, and if ask 3 people you usually get at least 3 answers)
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:36 AM
Jgrizzle

So cusco is better?

Quick Reply: Sway Bars!