Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Moving to VA in Oct, Newport News area

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, I am staying in a hotel for the entire time I am here off of victory dr. The area seems pretty nice. Doesnt seem like i have to worry about crime but that doesnt mean that I wont keep my eyes open. The roads are sweet.

So whats up with hampton nights and weekends. The cops out of control. I am extremely modded. I have no cats, my car is fairly quiet unless I get on it then my open dumps sound like god just shouted down from the heavens.

I know that in waikiki if your modded at all you get pulled over and get screwed with. Is that how it is here? My tint is pretty dark as well, just below legal in florida. I usually keep my window open during the day to keep from getting screwed with. How are the po po on tint?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
thanks guys, I am staying in a hotel for the entire time I am here off of victory dr. The area seems pretty nice. Doesnt seem like i have to worry about crime but that doesnt mean that I wont keep my eyes open. The roads are sweet.

So whats up with hampton nights and weekends. The cops out of control. I am extremely modded. I have no cats, my car is fairly quiet unless I get on it then my open dumps sound like god just shouted down from the heavens.

I know that in waikiki if your modded at all you get pulled over and get screwed with. Is that how it is here? My tint is pretty dark as well, just below legal in florida. I usually keep my window open during the day to keep from getting screwed with. How are the po po on tint?

I was refering to the crime there after hours on nights and weekends.

Yeah, they will mess with you pretty bad here for mods, esp tint. But if you have anything but VA tags, you'll prob be good to go. The strip (in Va Beach) is where the mess with ya the most for mods. Not so much this time of year though, mainly in the summer months.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM
nosurf2day

Great to know, so should I get my Concealed Weapons Permit for here or is Car Jacking's not the issue? I am not down for having someone swipe my car. I have no prob with sticking a gun in someones face.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Bigalow

The city cops aren't that bad except for Virginia Beach.

Watch out for the Highway Patrol - State Police. I've given a lot of @#$^%ing money to this common wealth because of them.

Regardless of your MODS however every law enforcement officer will agree that a loud exhaust deserves a citation. You're good if your exhaust isn't too loud

Your good for tint if you have out of state tags.

BTW, get a gun permit.

hope it helps.

Last edited by Bigalow; 11-26-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
halfass872

Great to know, so should I get my Concealed Weapons Permit for here or is Car Jacking's not the issue? I am not down for having someone swipe my car. I have no prob with sticking a gun in someones face.
I don't think it's that serious, i just know what i see on the news everyday. Just use common sense with avoiding places that look shady, and you should be fine.

In that area, chances are if you end up pulling a gun, the person you are pulling it on has one too, illegally, and probably has alot less to loose then you do. Just keep that in mind.

Last edited by halfass872; 11-01-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:03 PM
nosurf2day

Good info, I do need to get a permit for this state. I am good on my permits for florida but not for here.

You are quite true halfass872, I have worked quite hard to get where I am and your probably right, if someone is going to try and jack me then they would be equal to me in weaponry I am sure.

I have made the decision prior to coming here to insure my car with a special insurance that is equivalent to what my car is worth based on mods ect and not the blue book value of my car. A friend has done the same since she has a pure show car with close to 100K in her car. I am not near that but still in the range that it behooves me to get it.

This will be the first time since I bought my car that it will not be garage kept. Makes me nervous.

Hell I am not even used to driving my car in inclement weather, if there is even a sign of rain, I drive my wife's car or my bike.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM
NIZZMO

^^ Nice to see another Z/bike owner around here,what do you ride ? You may want to look into picking up a cheap whip rather than ride your bike around here in the winter, its nothing like Orlando.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by NIZZMO
^^ Nice to see another Z/bike owner around here,what do you ride ? You may want to look into picking up a cheap whip rather than ride your bike around here in the winter, its nothing like Orlando.

LOL, Bike, well actually its a Hyosung 49cc scooter, I have intentions of buying a GSX 1000 when I get to hawaii, however while in college I drove the scoot scoot to save money on gas when it was over $4 a gallon, the car gets around 10mpg and gas was killing me. I only lived 4 mi from campus so I picked it up cheap to get back and forth to campus.

Sorry to disappoint. I was riding my boys 06 CBR 600 for a while until he sold his other one.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get you a "hupty" because the weather here is unpredictable during the Winter months.

Hope you have a DOD sticker for ur car already.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 PM
nosurf2day

no i dont why?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 AM
halfass872

I agree with others. If you've dumped this much into your car, i'm really surprised you don't have a beater DD. Hell, i got a beater before i even bought my Z. Best $1500 i've ever spent! She's still running strong and getting great gas miliage, while the Z sleeps in the garage 90% of the year.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
NIZZMO

Originally Posted by halfass872
I agree with others. If you've dumped this much into your car, i'm really surprised you don't have a beater DD. Hell, i got a beater before i even bought my Z. Best $1500 i've ever spent! She's still running strong and getting great gas miliage, while the Z sleeps in the garage 90% of the year.
I did almost the same thing , I just got myself a truck about three weeks after getting the Z cause I was not going to have it out in bad weather.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
nosurf2day

Well actually until I came up here for Officer Transportation School, I had 2 other cars plus a scooter I could drive. Now that I am up here on TDY for transpo officer school things are different, my wife needs her car and the truck I have been driving, the owner comes back from korea on the 19th unless he gets extended to take a command. I find out tomorrow what the status is on that.

As far as a hoopty for here, I really hate to spend a couple grand on a car that I will only drive for 4 months, i leave here in February for Hawaii.

Oh, while on esutis today, i saw a black 370 is that anyone that has been replying on here's car?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM
paposalsa
Banned

no i dont why?
You are going to need one to get into Ft. Eustis. Depending how long you are going to be here they will either give you a Temp Pass or make u get a permanent one, but you need VA inspection to get a permanent one. VA inspection can be a B*tch.

I know a place that is pretty good, but whatever you do, do not take to inspect on post.

Oh, while on esutis today, i saw a black 370 is that anyone that has been replying on here's car?
NOPE, that is a black 370 Nismo, I have a 350 Silver and I'll be working night shift until Nov 20 and the other guy that replied don't work in Eustis.

Last edited by paposalsa; 11-03-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by paposalsa

NOPE, that is a black 370 Nismo, I have a 350 Silver and I'll be working night shift until Nov 20 and the other guy that replied don't work in Eustis.
I don't think he was asking if that was your car, he wanted to know if it belonged to anyone that has been posting in this thread.

Last edited by halfass872; 11-04-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM
halfass872

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/crime/l...icide_20091104
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
nosurf2day

If i am not mistaken, I dont need a vehicle inspection if my state doesnt require one. I am not getting my vehicle registered in the state of VA, I am keeping my FLA tags.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
paposalsa
Banned

If i am not mistaken, I dont need a vehicle inspection if my state doesnt require one. I am not getting my vehicle registered in the state of VA, I am keeping my FLA tags.
It is required for the FEVA Post Decal. I have FL tags and I had to get a VA state inspection.

To get your post decal you need:

ID Card
Driver License
Vehicle Registration
Insurance Card w/current dates
Proof of VA State Inspection

Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 AM
halfass872

I don't understand why the OP can't just get a temp pass for the time he will be there?

I'm DOD also, and when we travel we just show pass and id our orders and they give us a pass to stick on our dash for the dates our orders show us being there. Weather we have a rental or POV.

Why would he want to go through all that trouble to get stickers if he's only gonna be here a month or so?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 PM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by halfass872
I don't understand why the OP can't just get a temp pass for the time he will be there?

I'm DOD also, and when we travel we just show pass and id our orders and they give us a pass to stick on our dash for the dates our orders show us being there. Weather we have a rental or POV.

Why would he want to go through all that trouble to get stickers if he's only gonna be here a month or so?
Which is exactly what I am going to do. There is no way I will pass a VA inspection. I am running FI and I do not have cats so that would eliminate me off the bat.

Quick Reply: Moving to VA in Oct, Newport News area