Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Mid-A Z Community Image Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your ok with me Bryan
Old 11-17-2009, 05:11 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

same Barn-man!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
ajcool2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have any problems with any Z or G people. So far everyone Ive met is pretty cool.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:51 PM
NNOCENT

Originally Posted by ZS14
or the race card? spanish guy with a Z...
no its the spanish+dragonballZ haircut

Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 PM
SS728

You guys care what others think? Hmm, pity.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NNOCENT
no its the spanish+dragonballZ haircut

could be lulz.
Originally Posted by SS728
not exactly...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS728
Hmm... it's not so much about "caring" or not. I started this thread mainly to point out these commonly known issues. Not talking about it or ignoring it doesn't make lives better. That just makes us ignorant. People outside of the community or even without the community had been talking "behind our back". Why not be mature about it and give people a chance to speak up so we can understand the issues better? There's very high chance that it's one big communication issue. For example like how Pinkii (Morgan) from g35driver pointed out her experience with that one blue Z driver. Turned out he's some douche that got banned multiple times on my350z.com and we all hate him here. Now she knows that one guy does not represent our community as a whole at all. That's really what I'm trying to get out of this.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
vtchang

1. What have you heard from guys that don't own 350z about our community?
a) Although a lot of what Abui said up top may be true, you can apply most of those comments to any other car community. There will always be pockets of arrogant, pompous, novice, disrespectful, undisciplined, etc people in a community this big. It is just that those are the people generating the most press. This is not the area the group needs to focus on. You will never be able to stop kids from wrapping their Z's around trees. You won't stop undisciplined and selfish people from speeding down the highway. Those are the things that come with having an affordable sports car.

b) More importantly though, as others have said on the other forum; there seems to be a lack of organization in this particular community. This is where most of the energy needs to go.

2. What do you think are the causes for those views/comments? Do you think they're accurate?
a) A lot of the negativity is caused by a bad case of hate. I would love to say that the hate comes unwarranted but chances are, it was provoked because somebody didn't give credit where it is deserved.

b) Nobody has stepped up to the plate up until now. Like everything in life, there must be a leader to motivate and inspire people to band together. Its not easy to take on being the leader, and for that reason, I commend you Ethan for taking the first step.

3. What do you think we can do as a whole community or as individuals to turn things around?
a) Can't do ****. Stupid people will always do stupid things. Bad sheep will always generate more press than everybody else.

b) I think this survey, the voting for officers, and restructuring of this group is a good start to turn things around. Motivation, incentive, and activities that break the social awkwardness are ways to stimulate the growth of this community. MAIC organizes go-kart races at AllSportGP and NGC organizes happy hours and drives WAY in advance to accommodate people's schedules. I haven't been to a single Z meet but have been out with MAIC people and NGC people. This is no way a reflection of the quality of people in this community but rather my personal preference of activities. The rational: 1) go-karting is a lot more socially interactive and safe than going out on mid-night drives with people you don't know or trust. 2) you gotta plan **** way in advanced, a lot of people work, go to school, have families, or other obligations that come first (ya, i know crazy talk.. what goes before the Z).

Some other ideas for Ethan or any of the officers to get people out (like myself), how about DIY sessions? I know there are plenty of people out there that want to lower their car, install a full exhaust, install a clutch, install a TT setup, learn to tune, or just basic maintenance. This is a community of enthusiasts and not just people that drive pretty fat cars. I think I've touched more EJ20 and EJ257 blocks than the VQ... how sad is that.

I'd love to meet everybody on the boards because I stalk this thing like a hawk, but the lack of leadership, activities, motivation, and work + school has kept me a my350z board lurker.

I look forward to the changes ahead. For those still reading... when a Silver Roadster waves to you, WAVE back. God people, its not that hard.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 AM
KAT_Ayanami

I really thought this was easier to explain.

The complaint I have always heard about the Z community is that it "openly allows" street racing. (please, see that I used quotes)

You can call it: Back road driving, spirited driving, drifting, etc... All of these are still being performed on the streets, and the Z community is the only one that does not ban it from the forums.

All other forums I am registered at (from Subbie forums to Celica ones) do not even allow for comments on any of those areas.

That is at least the complaint I heard outside the meets.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 AM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by bb1314
Hmm... it's not so much about "caring" or not. I started this thread mainly to point out these commonly known issues. Not talking about it or ignoring it doesn't make lives better. That just makes us ignorant. People outside of the community or even without the community had been talking "behind our back". Why not be mature about it and give people a chance to speak up so we can understand the issues better? There's very high chance that it's one big communication issue. For example like how Pinkii (Morgan) from g35driver pointed out her experience with that one blue Z driver. Turned out he's some douche that got banned multiple times on my350z.com and we all hate him here. Now she knows that one guy does not represent our community as a whole at all. That's really what I'm trying to get out of this.
^^^^^
Sorry to hear about her experience and will not point the name out of the blue z driver. Needless to say he lives on base.

I may be consider'd weird by the local "cool" z and g guys but i always try and talk to new people when meets happens.

Just wish when we had meets people would not re-vert to the highschool clique mentality. Staying in little groups and all.

Last edited by 350zfan1; 11-18-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Jgrizzle

The Mid A itself can be pretty daunting. The first meet I ever went to was in Towson. Bryce was super nice to me and answered my questions about his car and stuff. And he actually gave me some really great advice about simple mods like sway bars, good tires etc. That was a multi car meet (lots of subarus and evos) and I think him and I were the only two Zs there. Over all I was definitely lacking about 100whp of man hood. Everyone I met there was super cool however and made me feel welcome. I even got some compliments on being Daytona blue WOO HOO!!

Some of our problems stem from this forum. Although great, I think it can breed some weird cliques etc.

The OG guys I think are starting to feel older (im turning 30 next month and waiting for woody and barny to turn 21 was killing me). Im not a car OG but a little further along in my life. I think some of you (not all of you) forget what its like to have your first pop charger, rims and exhaust. I think a lot of the new guys feel weird around the OGs and vice versa. Plus a lot of the newer guys feel like they have to compete in some way.

I really like the "Mid A" community. And I hope NZC really works. I think it will help some things and maybe show some of the G guys we are serious.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:46 AM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
The Mid A itself can be pretty daunting. The first meet I ever went to was in Towson. Bryce was super nice to me and answered my questions about his car and stuff. And he actually gave me some really great advice about simple mods like sway bars, good tires etc. That was a multi car meet (lots of subarus and evos) and I think him and I were the only two Zs there. Over all I was definitely lacking about 100whp of man hood. Everyone I met there was super cool however and made me feel welcome. I even got some compliments on being Daytona blue WOO HOO!!

Some of our problems stem from this forum. Although great, I think it can breed some weird cliques etc.

The OG guys I think are starting to feel older (im turning 30 next month and waiting for woody and barny to turn 21 was killing me). Im not a car OG but a little further along in my life. I think some of you (not all of you) forget what its like to have your first pop charger, rims and exhaust. I think a lot of the new guys feel weird around the OGs and vice versa. Plus a lot of the newer guys feel like they have to compete in some way.

I really like the "Mid A" community. And I hope NZC really works. I think it will help some things and maybe show some of the G guys we are serious.
^^^^

Well said Mr Grizz.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Jgrizzle

I said this over in Driver and will say it again here. I hope this thread at least makes people realize that their shyness or whatever is making others feel unwelcome. And those who have felt unwelcome need to not give up.

We are all VQ lovers no matter what. We made the choice (for whatever reason) to spend our or our parents hard earned money on this car. The Mid A has a huge range of job contacts, knowledge, etc. We have the potential to become a juggernaut of a community if things can be a little more friendly/drama free.

With the being said:
Which shop is better AAM or Function tuned?
Zs are better than Gs
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
The Mid A has a huge range of job contacts, knowledge, etc. We have the potential to become a juggernaut of a community if things can be a little more friendly/drama free.
You're totally right about that. Like here in the Tysons Corner area we have our Tysons Corner Corporate slave lunch meets. All the participants are young working professionals and I really don't see how anyone can consider us "immature". In fact JB (Zrugger sp?) was the one that referred me to my current job. We as a community will continue to help each not only on car related issues. As the so called New Mid-A slowly getting to that stage (finishing up college, looking for a job in the corporate world, etc), that hook-up shall continue. It's sorta like a Fraternity
Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 AM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

people hate Z guys cuz of retards driving around things like this:

such poser noobs.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Jgrizzle

E
t
a
n
Old 11-18-2009, 06:15 AM
GalvatronType_R

I've heard from the Mustang community that they think we're street racers who use riced out green underglow Honda Civics with Mishimoto tires (proving that we're from da streets) to hijack big rigs with a harpoon gun to get to their stash of Panasonic electronics so we can fund the mods to our cars.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
I've heard from the Mustang community that they think we're street racers who use riced out green underglow Honda Civics with Mishimoto tires (proving that we're from da streets) to hijack big rigs with a harpoon gun to get to their stash of Panasonic electronics so we can fund the mods to our cars.
no no no thats the G community. We dont have moon roofs with which to shoot said harpoons out of. j/k
Old 11-18-2009, 06:47 AM
bigcloud

I haven't really heard much from other guys. However, from what I've experienced in this area is that it is hard for the "new guy" or "outsider" to "fit in" with the Mid-A Z crowd. For instance my first meet was a F:T meet last year. The only person I knew was Umar. I tried talking to other people, but they would just walk away or give quick answers. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I have not been to a F:T meet ever since.

2. What do you think are the causes for those views/comments? Do you think they're accurate?

I think that the causes are that there are clicks on this board, and that those clicks don't allow new people in for some reason. It seems like the people that aren't in the already established clicks have formed their own.

3. What do you think we can do as a whole community or as individuals to turn things around?

I don't know if there is an answer to this question because there will always be established clicks that aren't open to new people. An example of new clicks that have formed are Dom and his crew that he rolls with. They are in Woodbridge and they have fun. Then you have the guys up north of Laurel. Then you have the NOVA guys. Granted some of those groups hang out, but those are personal relationships that have developed. Let a new guy/girl come into the picture and the same "outsider" weird feeling emerges again.

Last edited by bigcloud; 11-18-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: had a typo...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by bigcloud

I haven't really heard much from other guys. However, from what I've experienced in this area is that it is hard for the "new guy" or "outsider" to "fit in" with the Mid-A Z crowd. For instance my first meet was a F:T meet last year. The only person I knew was Umar. I tried talking to other people, but they would just walk away or give quick answers. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I have not been to a F:T meet ever since.

I think that the causes are that there are clicks on this board, and that those clicks don't allow new people in for some reason. It seems like the people that aren't in the already established clicks have formed their own.

I don't know if there is an answer to this question because there will always be established clicks that aren't open to new people. An example of this is Dom and his crew that he rolls with. They are in Woodbridge and they have fun. Then you have the guys up north of Laurel. Then you have the NOVA guys. Granted some of those groups hang out, but those are personal relationships that have developed. Let a new guy/girl come into the picture and the same "outsider" weird feeling emerges again.
Good point about the "click" thing. I'm not gonna lie even back in like 2005 when I just joined the scene I had that feeling for a little bit. I remember meeting Anh, Umar, Zain, Dave Shiroma, etc at the time and felt a little strange at first since I was the new guy. It didn't take too much for us to realize we're all ricers and have a whole lot in common. That initial awkward feeling is always gonna be there. It's like taking a new job. You're always super extra awkwardly polite to your co-workers the first few weeks. Then once you know each other you're eating lunch together and talking about the random girl you slept with last weekend.

Quick Reply: Mid-A Z Community Image Discussion