Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Mid-A Z Community Image Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mid-A Z Community Image Discussion

I know we could be biased. But I want to hear from you about this topic before I reach out to other communities and ask for their views/comments. In general we've all heard that the Z community is being viewed as a bunch of immature, arrogant kids even by our own neighbor the G community. There are some good comments too but I see that our local community is going down hill in general. I got a few questions for you.

1. What have you heard from guys that don't own 350z about our community?

2. What do you think are the causes for those views/comments? Do you think they're accurate?

3. What do you think we can do as a whole community or as individuals to turn things around?

In the process of resurrecting National Z Club, I'd really like to start reaching out to different local car clubs and reconstruct the image for our Z community. Age shouldn't matter. Knowledge, maturity and behaviors do.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bb1314; 11-17-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Here's a link to comments from our neighbor the National G Club.

http://g35driver.com/forums/national...community.html
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing this thread reminds me of a thread I did awhile ago.

https://my350z.com/forum/mid-atlanti...g-drivers.html

I notice it too, when I was out living in Utah the Z community was very active and were always trying to meet new people and lend a hand, the Z/G community here seems to be OK but their is a lot of arrogant people that have this attitude about them that I can't quite pin point.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allot of people feel the Z/G crowd is unreceptive of other cars (or in short think they are better then others)

That all Z owners are rich kids or rich old people who want nothing to do with other cars

We also get grouped into the "Ricer" "Street Racers" group by all non car people/older people.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Barnabas

I gotta go back to work I will write my suggestions on turning this around when I get off
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM
abui01

I've heard tons of things since I hang out with all types of car owners. Most of which include:

- "Z guys can't drive fer $h!t, their main concern is going as fast as humanly possible in a straight line."

- "Roughly 99% of them have never been to a real road course, they waste their time slapping on a turbo and running a 11-12 sec in the 1/4 mile. Guess what... my CIVIC can whoop it by a WHOLE second w/ my eyes closed! AND I paid 10k less... and it's N/A! Heck... they spent $20-30k for a bagillion WHP power (that they can't even use).. and you're telling me with only $2-3k my EVO can still walk it in a 1/4 mile? NOOB GO HOME! Your car was never meant for the 1/4 mile track."

- S2k guys laugh at us because we can't turn and this is a, "Japanese Mustang." "Ever been to Summit track days? How many Z guys do you see? 2-3 at MOST?! Sometimes NONE?!? Yeah... because real driving skills don't cater to that crowd. They're too concerned over putting on their $100 intake system when it could have been better spent on some seat time... Noobs"

- Autocross guys, "I generally don't see much Z representation, mostly because their car was never really meant to compete in these kind of events. A Z never won anything last I remember."

- "Face it, the Z is a jock of all trades, master of none. It looks good, but not the best looking. It's fast, but not that fast. It can handle, but many other cars can run circles around it all day long. It's light enough, but still heavy."

- "When the Z first came out, it was aimed more toward folks in their late 20's and early 30's because that was the demographic that could actually afford it. Those days have long gone and nowadays most kids buy the Z, mostly because it's affordable now and they bought it purely based on its looks. I see a majority of them driving like they actually knew how to drive... give me a break...! Admit it, you bought it because of the looks, you have no interest in actually driving it."

- "9/10 times when a Z guy loses control, he crashes because he has no idea how to correct the oversteer. Then we notice he's 18-22 years old. It's a car that most inexperienced kids buy to look cool at meets... but we all know they suck. Stick to FWD and quit causing accidents."

- "Z guys don't like to drive to actually meet up. However, Us you say? We'll drive 100 miles to meet up because we actually are CAR ENTHUSIASTS, not some ricers who go to a meet down the street just because it's convenient for them. If 'distance' is a factor in your equation when a meet is scheduled, then I'm ashamed to be called an 'Car Enthusiast' amongst the same line as these jokers."

- "These guys think their car is a Lamborghini. They drive two cars and garage their Z all week long. Dude... I can buy your car for 10k these days, get over yourself, no matter what you think... it will NEVER be a SUPERCAR.. now drive the darn thing. Oh wait.. you don't know how! LOL"

- "Why oh why do all Z guys slap on the heaviest rims known to man? Look at those huge lips... yeah it looks cool and all but give me a break, that's just so NOOB! How much cornering ability, accelerating, braking was lost due to a bad rim choice? And why do they spend 4k on rims... but cheap out and get some low grade Kumho tires? These guys seriously don't know what they're doing. I feel like I'm stepping into some Hot Import Nights show when half of these mods are pointless. Do Z guys even do their homework? Mom & Dad got too much money to spare?"

- "Why do all you guys buy rims and a bodykit first? Maybe some springs, a loud exhaust, and call it a day? What's wrong with you people?"

- "Punk Immature Kids who drive over their skill level... enough said."

- "Got all that power... but when the road turns you LOSE!"

There were a few others, but I can't remember them all. Brain Fart. I'll update when it pops back up in my head.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
ajcool2

^ Sounds about right to me. Some of that stuff people thinks works in my favor when it comes time to race.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Another example on how one guy's behavior affected the image of us "the Z guys"

Originally Posted by pinkii
Oh yeah at Capital I saw a blue z that had elite and function tuned stickers so I drove over to say hello since I didnt know who all was coming out there. I asked him if he went to chris (duh elite stickers) because I have never seen him there and he just mugged on me and kept it moving.

then i asked him about function tuned since he had their stickers on also... ummm he said he went to the car wash (I am assuming the 2nd one) and got the stickers then.

WTF? He was just rude. and his z was slow
Originally Posted by bb1314
Wait a minute! Wait a minute! The Blue Z... did he have some weird looking tail lights, a Veilside front bumper? And I believe a Greddy exhaust? Oh and CF doors!
Originally Posted by pinkii
yeah that was him. tacky
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM
woodrow88

hahahahah ^^^^^
Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Barnabas

Sad but true
Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by abui01
I've heard tons of things since I hang out with all types of car owners. Most of which include:

- "Z guys can't drive fer $h!t, their main concern is going as fast as humanly possible in a straight line."

- "Roughly 99% of them have never been to a real road course, they waste their time slapping on a turbo and running a 11-12 sec in the 1/4 mile. Guess what... my CIVIC can whoop it by a WHOLE second w/ my eyes closed! AND I paid 10k less... and it's N/A! Heck... they spent $20-30k for a bagillion WHP power (that they can't even use).. and you're telling me with only $2-3k my EVO can still walk it in a 1/4 mile? NOOB GO HOME! Your car was never meant for the 1/4 mile track."

- S2k guys laugh at us because we can't turn and this is a, "Japanese Mustang." "Ever been to Summit track days? How many Z guys do you see? 2-3 at MOST?! Sometimes NONE?!? Yeah... because real driving skills don't cater to that crowd. They're too concerned over putting on their $100 intake system when it could have been better spent on some seat time... Noobs"

- Autocross guys, "I generally don't see much Z representation, mostly because their car was never really meant to compete in these kind of events. A Z never won anything last I remember."

- "Face it, the Z is a jock of all trades, master of none. It looks good, but not the best looking. It's fast, but not that fast. It can handle, but many other cars can run circles around it all day long. It's light enough, but still heavy."

- "When the Z first came out, it was aimed more toward folks in their late 20's and early 30's because that was the demographic that could actually afford it. Those days have long gone and nowadays most kids buy the Z, mostly because it's affordable now and they bought it purely based on its looks. I see a majority of them driving like they actually knew how to drive... give me a break...! Admit it, you bought it because of the looks, you have no interest in actually driving it."

- "9/10 times when a Z guy loses control, he crashes because he has no idea how to correct the oversteer. Then we notice he's 18-22 years old. It's a car that most inexperienced kids buy to look cool at meets... but we all know they suck. Stick to FWD and quit causing accidents."

- "Z guys don't like to drive to actually meet up. However, Us you say? We'll drive 100 miles to meet up because we actually are CAR ENTHUSIASTS, not some ricers who go to a meet down the street just because it's convenient for them. If 'distance' is a factor in your equation when a meet is scheduled, then I'm ashamed to be called an 'Car Enthusiast' amongst the same line as these jokers."

- "These guys think their car is a Lamborghini. They drive two cars and garage their Z all week long. Dude... I can buy your car for 10k these days, get over yourself, no matter what you think... it will NEVER be a SUPERCAR.. now drive the darn thing. Oh wait.. you don't know how! LOL"

- "Why oh why do all Z guys slap on the heaviest rims known to man? Look at those huge lips... yeah it looks cool and all but give me a break, that's just so NOOB! How much cornering ability, accelerating, braking was lost due to a bad rim choice? And why do they spend 4k on rims... but cheap out and get some low grade Kumho tires? These guys seriously don't know what they're doing. I feel like I'm stepping into some Hot Import Nights show when half of these mods are pointless. Do Z guys even do their homework? Mom & Dad got too much money to spare?"

- "Why do all you guys buy rims and a bodykit first? Maybe some springs, a loud exhaust, and call it a day? What's wrong with you people?"

- "Punk Immature Kids who drive over their skill level... enough said."

- "Got all that power... but when the road turns you LOSE!"

There were a few others, but I can't remember them all. Brain Fart. I'll update when it pops back up in my head.
I agree with you Ahn although I am guilty of some of these
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

HAHAHAHAHAHA. If it is a Z guy talking to me I make a conversation, if it is a G guy I am nervous since they think they are better than us.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by NX2KDET
HAHAHAHAHAHA. If it is a Z guy talking to me I make a conversation, if it is a G guy I am nervous since they think they are better than us.
^^^
Yup guilty on liking the subtle body kits (not crazy) and giant lip wheels.
And loud exhausts , although i have a motordyne shockwave.

I have personally ramd my head inside open windows at my favorite at my favorite car shows just to say its a bad *** ride to the driver.

Whe could always help out with volunteer work with our cars to change the idea of us.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
phunkenstein

Collectively Gs dont think we're better than Zs... just saying
Old 11-17-2009, 02:50 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only reason I bought a G over a Z was the back seat. They were basically the same price new and the G is slower. There. LOL
Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM
phunkenstein

Read my post on g35driver NGC forums...its too long to repost.

And I'm 100% same with Randy. They were the same price when I looked and insurance was lower on the G :O
Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

I was accepted at one of the long ago z meets in columbia and i was one of the first FI'ed g's around.I think Alberto was the first FI'ed z's around and he was the one who invited me.We are friends now and i think im friends with most of the z drivers cause i think the cars are basically the same except for our weight difference.

The new Z crowd i dont know much about even though i have met a few but us OG's as you call us just dont know much about the younger crowd.I am old enough to be most of your fathers but i still love the performance of the car.........and you will never see my old *** drive a fuking Buick.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

i think the biggest problem is, the fact that z drivers care to much about what everyone else thinks about them. their will always be stereotypes, and that comes with any car community. i think that if everyone would stop with the whole "he's to young, daddy mustve bought him that car" or the "they think their better than us" thing. screw all that. why cant we all hang out, and give eachother a chance? maybe realize that it doesnt matter what you drive, its who you are. the added bonus is having a car your proud of. sorry ethan, but i highly doubt that one person can change everyones views. unfortunately the car scene will always be like this. its the attitude among all import cultures. everyone divided into their "clicks" imho, i have the most fun hanging out with guys from all communities. it doesnt matter what you drive, if its sick, its sick.

as far as my planning example that was used (in which i WONT point any fingers!), i could understand if i was planning something huge like a toy drive or something, but when i plan a "meet up", or "hang-out," its just to do whatever, usually so im not sitting around my house doing absolutely nothing, when i could be hanging out. i can appreciate the "plan better" comments, but when i plan one (unless its for a specific event) its usually a last minute thing, just like you said ethan "We are grown ups and have a lot of priorities in life so it's not easy to commit" so im the same way with planning just a hang out. how can you commit and say that will be prioritized over anything that may pop up? now if it was something big, for a cause, then i can 100% understand the planning ahead. im sure no one on here, just plans more than a week before they hang out with their friends, same thing, i just post it so more people can come out.

anyways, sorry about the novel, just my
Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Chen

1. What have you heard from guys that don't own 350z about our community?
You guys are a bunch of douche bags.

2. What do you think are the causes for those views/comments? Do you think they're accurate?
They way you guys drive and how unfriendly you guys can be.
Not accurate, i've always been treated fine by you guys.

3. What do you think we can do as a whole community or as individuals to turn things around?
dunno, that is for you folks to figure out.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really dont know what to say. All the time i go out i try to meet new people and talk about eachothers cars. I have had people in Zs that i have never met flash me down on the highway or on any little road, i guess as a whats up? but the the Gs made a comment about the coldstone meet which is pretty true. The group who mainly attended that are more then Z owners. They are personal friends not just over the forums. Which is what may cause the outsider to feel a bit weird.

There are instances where i have met people one day then they look at me weird the next time around..they dont remember me? or the race card? spanish guy with a Z..

I personally dont like making friends but i make sure to give a Hi and hand shake when i go out. To be nice and hopefully see you around again the next time. Im not a attention ***** and friend maker/a$$ kisser but i like other people who have interest in cars.

i honestly think its just how people may act.. the Z/G rivalry plays a big role. " my G is better" vice versa. i have met some G people and they are cool. I dont leave anyone out no matter what you drive but if your just gonna be there an expect someone to go up to you and your car to fire up a conversation it aint happening.

mainly its just how you carry yourself.

plus i have had a bunch of bonestock Gs try to race me on ths highway but i just say for what? My Z is quicker so i just let them roll away.

Quick Reply: Mid-A Z Community Image Discussion