Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Home Security System recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_HighSpeed
Every time police are called to any section 8 housing there is supposed to be a report made and someone should notify the housing association/authority (depending on which one it is for your area).

Keep calling the police, keep making reports with every incident and keep calling the HOA and telling them there are issues.

What you saw and what you heard are proof, regardless of what someone tells you - real issue is if there was an actual crime committed.
Each time something happens I take a pic and fire off an email to the HOA. But this time I went a few steps further. Since I work for the Housing Dep. I'm going after the program that put this human trash in my building in the 1st place and her POS landlord. Like I told my the people downstairs from them, my new PT job is to make EVERYONE involved in this just as miserable as we all are. I'm going try and personally f*ck this landlord b*tch's funding up as much as I can and have her identified by HUD as a bad landlord.
We found out the name of a fraud investigator, called her to complain and got a bitchy attitude. I did some digging, found the consulting firm that oversees her office and her managing director was notified with all the message traffic. I also found info on their firm's board of directors.

It would just make things easier if I could get that peephole cam installed and get footage of just a few things going on at different hours of the day.
After living in Baltimore and in PG County I'd have never guessed I'd be dealing with ghetto trash in the suburbs.

Last edited by WYZIWYG; 01-24-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Z_HighSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Section 8 is everywhere, and that makes it horrible.

What is even worse is that property owners/landlords subscribe to section 8 housing and expect actual hardworking, bill paying individuals to the dregs which section 8 allows to live in an otherwise good area.

Call 911, get reports, call HOA and make complaints, tell the other neighbors to do the same, often and all the time. Eventually they will get kicked out.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not take the DNA off of the spit?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle22
Why not take the DNA off of the spit?
Turn the TV off Kyle, this is real life we're talking about...
Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Z_HighSpeed

lol @ dna comment

because any department will spend the resources on this rather than the giant backlog of felonies they really have to deal with.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Infrared motion sensing HD cameras on all 4 corners with DVR + SMS alert and a loaded shotgun. Vitamin-D video is pretty damn effective... only triggers on people and not animals or other objects if you don't want it to.

Last edited by djamps; 01-25-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM
pepper

^ I run the Logitech 750e camera system on my house alongside a home security system + a Siberian Husky. The Logitech has a great wide angle and has very clear video plus audio!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pepper
^ I run the Logitech 750e camera system on my house alongside a home security system + a Siberian Husky. The Logitech has a great wide angle and has very clear video plus audio!
There's no monthly subscription or anything right? And it uses wifi/LAN?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
pepper

No monthly fee and it's all wireless and it stores to an SD card or your HD.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
pepper

Forgot to add:

It sends notifications to your email and it's viewable from a smartphone/computer/iPad/tablet/etc.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
NightShade

Originally Posted by Kirkster
If you shoot someone in MD, even in your home you will be headed to jail for the night (at least).

Steps to remember if you shoot someone (or brandish a weapon and the guy runs).

1) Call the cops (even if the guy runs away call the cops).
2) CALL YOUR LAWYER right after you get off the phone with the cops.
3) Photograph the scene as it is for your LAWYER, don't tell the cops, just your lawyer that you have photos of the scene (its for your own protection).
4) When the cops arrive, be helpful but say as little as possible to the cops until your lawyer arrives. The cops are not your friend and have no interest in acting in your best interest, that is what your lawyer is for...
5) It is not going to be cheap. In fact it is probably going to cost about as much as Alberto has spent doing turbo's on his Z...

If I forgot to mention it. Never Ever talk to the cops without your lawyer present. I would issue just a simple statement about being in fear for my family and ask for my lawyer. And then break out the checkbook for the retainer fees...
Yes, do #1 first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Igshxpm99g

Then hope you have an awsome dispatcher like the one in the video.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM
djamps

Forgot to add:

It sends notifications to your email and it's viewable from a smartphone/computer/iPad/tablet/etc.
Yep most 'decent' PC-based DVR can do that -- I've got mine to send certain alerts + snapshots to my phone's txt email (nnnnnnnnnn@vtext.com) for quick alerts.

As for DVR apps I've used both BlueIris and Vitamin-D with the latter being more expensive but having much more reliable motion detection. These apps work on local LAN (or wifi) and ANY network camera on the market. No subscriptions... just one-time for the software for up to 64+ cams.

I hardwired my cams with cat5 and PoE since I have to run power to them anyways...might as well drop some cat5 from a cheap netgear switch.

Last edited by djamps; 01-25-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
pepper

^ Mine is definitely more basic than that lol. Heres a screen shot of the application on the desktop.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Z_HighSpeed

Sweet setup(s) guys, more stuff like this is good.

But just a word to the wise. Cameras do not stop or deter crime. They are merely a mechanism that is required for proper execution and follow through of the legal system as well as the civil system with insurance being the #1 proponent.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
pepper

Sweet setup(s) guys, more stuff like this is good.

But just a word to the wise. Cameras do not stop or deter crime. They are merely a mechanism that is required for proper execution and follow through of the legal system as well as the civil system with insurance being the #1 proponent.
It will deter crime if the theives see the camera lol I dont expect a theif to look for it but if they happen to do the crime, then at least there is some evidence of it (clothing, approx height, race, mode of transportation, what was done/stolen, etc).
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Z_HighSpeed

It will deter crime if the theives see the camera lol I dont expect a theif to look for it but if they happen to do the crime, then at least there is some evidence of it (clothing, approx height, race, mode of transportation, what was done/stolen, etc).
Is this your opinion or do you have something to back it up?

What I posted I know to be true for a fact.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 AM
djamps

Is this your opinion or do you have something to back it up?

What I posted I know to be true for a fact.
Any dumb *** knows cams won't stop a crime. But being aware of a crime during the act allows you to respond during rather than after the crime occurs. The tape recordings will be useful for litigation/insurance but the instant alerts are valuable. But if I get a motion alert email with stills of some dumbass breaking into my car you best be sure I'm calling the cops even if I'm in another country.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 AM
pepper

^ thank you
Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by djamps
Any dumb *** knows cams won't stop a crime. But being aware of a crime during the act allows you to respond during rather than after the crime occurs. The tape recordings will be useful for litigation/insurance but the instant alerts are valuable. But if I get a motion alert email with stills of some dumbass breaking into my car you best be sure I'm calling the cops even if I'm in another country.
Not what I was talking about.

You are correct though, seeing a crime in progress and calling 911 may help police catch whoever is doing whatever they are doing.

I was pointing out that many believe cameras deter or even stop crime. This is not speculation, it is fact. I would not want someone here to put a camera system up and all of a sudden have a belief that they will not be a victim because of that camera.

Quick Reply: Home Security System recommendation?