Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

The Great 350z icon debacle!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Great 350z icon debacle!!

okay, figured we would start a new thread on this so we can stay on topic in the other thread. So as we were talking about in the Fast 5 thread. Do you think in several years will the 350z be a collectable/icon? Much like how the Supra and Rx-7's are worth more/hold a better value, then they did when they first were being made....Discuss.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle22
okay, figured we would start a new thread on this so we can stay on topic in the other thread. So as we were talking about in the Fast 5 thread. Do you think in several years will the 350z be a collectable/icon? Much like how the Supra and Rx-7's are worth more/hold a better value, then they did when they first were being made....Discuss.
yours wont since you owned it
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
kyle22

i forgot about that one.....havent seen tokyo drift in a while....I just had a thought, you know how after the first F&F movie, supra's and Rx-7's value went up, along with eclipse's for a bit....but after tokyo, no value change for the 350z..... this makes kyle sad.
Originally Posted by bb1314
Good point!!! I wonder why. Initial D kept all the AE86 valuable for a long period of time.
exactly...wheres the love for the 350? but i do appreciate that in every movie there is a lot of love towards Nissan.
Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Supply and demand? They quit producing the Supra in what 97-98? Not sure what year the Rx-7 was either but how many in relatively decent condition do you think are out there to purchase and seriously hook up? Probably not many, hence they're pretty rare. You can spit and hit 10 350s on any given day. If you have easy access to any given thing it won't really become rare, will it?

Just my 0.2
Originally Posted by Barnabas

At the rate people are crashing them though and the fact they arent made anymore. In 10 years they will be valuable/rare indeed like the supra

IMO
yeah but when they made the first movie it was in what 2000? there were plenty of supras available. Most the time whenever a movie makes a car an icon it jumps the value, Supra, Rx7, Bullitt mustang, Grand National, Gran Torino. yes they are rare now but why didnt anyone care about them before? Why the mark up now?

will the Z be a icon many years down the road?
If I ever crash my car I will fix it or buy back or watever it takes to keep it.

The Z will be an icon based on how it is modified down teh road. If you start to see Z's become 1000+ HP beasts in order to be "built" like supras, if a movie comes out AFTER (or near the verge) of the car not being readily availabel on every corner. And in some way the car is viewed as a car that is attractive to own as a collectible/toy not a DD. Then yes it will become iconic.

IMO it will at least hold value and be a desirable car. Take the 300zx for example I have seen them go for over 10k STOCK There are 350Z's that are worth less then that. The 350Z will at least be at that level in 15 years maybe sooner
will the Z be a icon many years down the road?

What other Japanese cars have this status now? Skylines? the old Datsuns?
Skyline, Is def an icon. other nissans are considered collectible cars though 180, 280 and such the 240sx and 300zx are very recognized in the car world as well. To me any 20 year old car that is still very popular to the car performance/enthusiast world has made a mark where most dont.
Originally Posted by abui01
sorry to break the news, but the 350z will never become an icon. The only reason why 300zx TT's hold value is because... you guessed it: Factory Twin Turbos (and who doesn't love that?!)

The reason why 350z's will never be is because the 370z improved everything that the 350 was lacking. Why buy an older, slower, heavier, worse handling car when you can get essentially the same thing and newer? What does a Supra, Rx-7, Skyline, 3000GT VR4, etc. all have in common: They're all discontinued (minus skyline) + Twin Turbos!

As long as manufacturers still produce the lineup with continual improvements, an older model will not hold its value regardless of how many movies it appears in. The only hope for an iconic Z car is if they make a model with some sort of factory FI... which later gets discontinued or dropped in the newer models (aka 300zx TT).

Other examples: AE86 - the only Corolla with a RWD platform. A Corolla is available today... but they never made a new platform with RWD therefore the AE86 became an icon. (Not to mention it had a perfect 50/50 weight distribution)

The AWD Civic hatch - yes, if you guys can remember, back in the 80's Honda made a Civic that was AWD which was later discontinued. Even though you can buy the car for cheap, it holds better value than your average ole' rust bucket FWD Civic.

Cars I predict that will become icons: Honda NSX - even though the newest models say it's going to have a V10 w/ 550+ HP, front engine AWD - they've discontinued their mid-engine layout making the older models more valuable.

Honda S2000 - with no future sports car for Honda in the current market, this car will most likely become an icon in the near future with perfect 50/50 weight distribution and is one of the few cars with a front mid-engine layout.

Pontiac Fiero - one of the very few domestic cars that was ever truly mid-engine. One of the very few that put Corvettes to shame on the track and was later discontinued with no future models planned.
240's are simply too dam cheap to be iconic, hahaha. In order to be truly iconic, it has to be somewhat non-affordable to your average consumer. Supra TT, 3000GT VR4, RX-7 Twin Turbo etc. were all $40k+ cars off the lot.
The only car from the 350z lineup that could potentially become iconic is the 350z Nismo Edition. It's the ONLY 350z that came with a seam-welded chassis from the factory, costs over $40k new, and were made in limited #'s. Seam welding was discontinued in the newer models. The only downside? Uhh... who cares about seam welds?! Only hardcore track gurus appreciate that technology. Your average Joe wouldn't even think twice to pay the extra $10k.
why wouldnt the 350z be icionic? the datsun 240z and 280z are hard to come by and finding one in good shape is worth more then what they OG owner paid for. why cant it be the same for the 350? given many years have gone by. 240sx are like civics but with a much better reputation. they will never be worth a lot of money.
just an update on where we are at.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
kyle22

yours wont since you owned it
so does that mean you will have to try to give away yours?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well like someone said it's all about supply and demand. Now keep in mind the other cars that are "collectible" were and ARE still very superior in terms of performance and style. Supra and FD still wet girls' panties. They still smoke most cars on the street. Now will a 350z still be considered stylish 10 years from now and keep up with cars built in 2020?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

yes

Due to the fact that you can shell out a 240sx and whoop *** for cheap the z will be the same thing in 2020...

especially since the price of the car is in the $8500-14k range for a 03-06 right now
Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Did someone actually mention the Fiero in this thread?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
kyle22

Originally Posted by KingBaby
yes

Due to the fact that you can shell out a 240sx and whoop *** for cheap the z will be the same thing in 2020...

especially since the price of the car is in the $8500-14k range for a 03-06 right now
but with age and more years to come, parts for the 350z will be just as cheap as parts for 240sx, will be able to do more swaps.

Toyota is coming out with a new RWD car to take the place of the AE86 so would that make the AE86 not an icon anymore?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Gator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did someone actually mention the Fiero in this thread?
I noticed that too.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Gator

I don't know about all this. There are a lot of factors that go into making as "icon" car plus what is one person's "icon" may not be another persons "icon" car. A lot of good points here and some serious car knowledge but in the end it's one person's guess (opinion) over some else's.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Greddytwin350Z

One thing I think to mention is how many RX-7's and Supra's were built in comparison to the 350z model run. To most people icons mean value and rarity. To others an icon might mean timeless street car. Not always the case is it all three. As mentioned above by gator I think it will be personal preference. I cant say my 350Z will be an icon. I will say that like 240's and 300's there will always be people who remember what they were and who love them for that reason.

Kyle22, what makes a car an icon to you? I personally love old mopars. My dream car is a 1971 Plymouth Cuda', 426 Hemi, 4spd car. Triple black!!! To me thats the ultimate icon. I know most of you will disagree but to me its got it all. Rarity, 108 built. Power, very nice for 1971 mind you. And value, without question true 1971 Hemi Cuda's (Coupe or convertables) are some of the rarest and most sought after muscle cars ever made! But none of these reasons are why I like it. I just think the car is the coolest car ever made. To me its the ultimate icon. Sorry, I got a little off topic. I just love cars!

Last edited by Greddytwin350Z; 01-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
NNOCENT

Originally Posted by KingBaby
yes

100% agree