Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

the date/time is set! Dyno tune a Hill's garage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
HAHAHHAHA.. wow does it really say Function:Tuned on it? LMAO
LOL yea I noticed that the day before.

Nice numbers man.... is the blower still spitting oil?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
LOL yea I noticed that the day before.

Nice numbers man.... is the blower still spitting oil?
not that i know of....i contacted the original owner of the kit and he said that it may be oil coming out of the vacuum line that spits out near the charger, so a oil catch can should do the trick...

however my friend josh thinks otherwise and that i should rebuild the blower anyways
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 AM
MYN1SMO

Originally Posted by atomicgoofball
however my friend josh thinks otherwise and that i should rebuild the blower anyways
definatly better safe than sorry, a few extra bucks for peace of mind couldn't hurt
Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+111, I heard the prochargers aren't cheap to rebuild. Maybe you (or your mechanic) can do it yourself, I heard of a few guys rebuild vortechs themselves on the forums. No experience with that though...turbos FTW :P
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I told you it would be 400whp easy with those cams at the Bmore car show. If that run wasnt fawked with the correction (at 1.00) then that is more on a Dynojet.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 AM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Originally Posted by djamps
+111, I heard the prochargers aren't cheap to rebuild. Maybe you (or your mechanic) can do it yourself, I heard of a few guys rebuild vortechs themselves on the forums. No experience with that though...turbos FTW :P
yeah there is a a rebuild kit on superchargerrebuilds.com, my boy has all the tools and presses at his shop that can do the rebuild. we are still looking into it

Hhaha yeah Berto! you were def right! i was actually very surprised and stoked to see those numbers! now i just have to fix some of these problems and see how much better the car will run!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Just curious. Are all these problems typical when attempting to squeeze more HP out of our VQ's? I usually just lurk on these topics but this concerns me since I want to go the same route as Goofball [eventually]. But if my sh*t's gonna be spitting fluids and sputtering or worse not running and turning into a 3,000 lb paperweight. I may just keep my crappy bolt-ons and stay slow.... :0[
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clay, while some may have nothing but positive experiences (the grandma drivers) adding FI is def going to usually add neuissances.

For example a simple belt change now becomes a hassle with charge pipes or other belts in the way. Things like a simple alternator/starter could be a PITA with FI needing to be removed in sections or worked around.

Adding foot after foot of piping with bends, couplers, that can and will loosen, slip, cause boost leaks, oil leaks (return line for turbos). Adding guages with $1 vaccum lines that grow hard and fall apart with age, can cause boost leaks, misreadings, spikes, change in the tune, its all adding parts, and anytime you do that is potential for more headaches. Spark plug changes every 100K miles with FI is a joke, get used to seasonal wrenching. The occasional tune update when the gas changes with the seasons around here, or if somehow your return fuel system drops 1 measly psi in base pressure, the entire tune can be off. I can go on and on and on.

Nothing is easy with FI, every "small NA" problem is usually a PITD with FI. All part of the deal. You pay to play.

Last edited by Alberto; 02-28-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM
WYZIWYG

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Just curious. Are all these problems typical when attempting to squeeze more HP out of our VQ's? I usually just lurk on these topics but this concerns me since I want to go the same route as Goofball [eventually]. But if my sh*t's gonna be spitting fluids and sputtering or worse not running and turning into a 3,000 lb paperweight. I may just keep my crappy bolt-ons and stay slow.... :0[
Haha yeah dude, honestly I wanted to stay na...the whole supercharger idea came outta no where. Got A great deal and wanted to help out a friend kinda thing. I did learn thy u gotta pay to play. What went from 4000 est spending ammount easily jumped to 6000 and more, but it's about the fun factor! I have great friends who are mechanics and have shops/tools who are there to help me learn and explore. Alberto said it best, gotta pay to play! I don't regret my decision at all. The car is a totally different animal now and it's amazing! Frank was even surprised hahaha these little mishaps will get taken care of and I will cont to put money in a piggy bank just in case anything goes wrong. Just gotta do things little by little and not abuse ur **** like a teenager
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Young Barney

Pay to play sounds great.... the first 3 times

Clay - Its a roll of the dice at best, more mods = more whp = more problems. So far, I think Jeffie is the only person I know that went turbo and just left it alone @ stock block power. My car has spent more time in paperweight status than I would like to think about. I don't even want to think about the money spent that will never be recouped
Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Congrats on the numbers Goof!! Keep it on the road all summer and enjoy yourself
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigslim is still on his first motor, hes been boosted for a few years.

While I don't drive the Z much. I did have a built civic back in the day and DD the car for about a year before selling it.

First off, unless you have time, DDing a boosted car is a PITA.

I'd never DD a car unless I did the full install as with almost every mod to the car. Why? Because you will be doing weekly checks on random parts. Oil, oil line, return line, water lines, then I'd try to check the vac lines to/from the waste gate at least once every other week or once a month AT LEAST.

If you do your own mods, you will know when something is acting up, what the problem most likely is before you even start to dig into things. You will also know what it takes to replace OEM parts when they break.

For me belts is easy I have only 1 pipe that goes across the front of the engine bay, same goes for coils, injectors, and sparkplugs. Very easy to get to. That is with MY turbo kit, since there's only one pipe up top.

If you want to DD your boosted car. I'd do a stock block and run around 400WHP nothing more. If you're looking for big power then DDing the car is not a good idea. If my car ever pops I plan on doing a very minor build, rods for sure but that might be it. I want to make 450-500WHP without worry. Once you get into a lot of after market parts like Pistons, heads, cams, block work, your chances of blowing up not just from being FI but from mistakes in build/parts goes WAY up.

If you keep your car pretty stock, and use one of the many good kits currently on the market and tune it and LEAVE THE CAR ALONE!!!! you should be good, as long as you keep checking over all the major items to make sure everything is in line. As alberto said, a lot of things can go wrong, by doing weekly/biweekly checks it will reduce the chance of failure.

Too bad most people don't keep up with their chit. I hardly drive my Z but when I do I rag on it, every time I take it out I check oil level, most vac lines/turbo stuff, as with empty my catch can.

Every time.

When I had my turbo civic I had a lot more time. I didn't mind doing the weekly checkups. Didn't take that long if you know what to look for but yes, it becomes a PITA. After buying a bike I said F it and sold the car. Never again will I have a DD I have to always keep up with.

DD = put gas in and drive. Oil changes from time to time and brake jobs once in a while Screw all the other BS.

As far as goofs car goes. I would never buy a used SC/Turbo kit without sending the main parts out for inspection/rebuild before I ever thought of putting it on the car. I've seen way to many issues with used kits, nothing major but things that are a PITA like his unit spitting oil out while on the dyno. No thanks! Nothing wrong with used kits, but they do need extra attention due to not knowing the true story behind them. Last thing I want to do is pull the turbo out of my car after installing it 2 weeks before... no thanks.

Last edited by jeffie7; 02-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Im on my original stock block and DD for many years but Bert called me a grandma
Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM
WYZIWYG

After reading this [first real in depth account of going FI], I don't think the SC/FI road is one I plan to head down. I'll admit, I'm lazy. When it's time for me to roll out the most I'll do is a quick visual inspection/walkaround and check the TP once a week. If I had to run through a complete PCMS before hopping in my car for a trip to the grocery store I'd NEVER get off my couch. Gracias Senor Jeffie.....
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this [first real in depth account of going FI], I don't think the SC/FI road is one I plan to head down. I'll admit, I'm lazy. When it's time for me to roll out the most I'll do is a quick visual inspection/walkaround and check the TP once a week. If I had to run through a complete PCMS before hopping in my car for a trip to the grocery store I'd NEVER get off my couch. Gracias Senor Jeffie.....
A. Dont be lazy.
B. Buy a DD you enjoy to drive. so you can sell the other one and boost the Z for weekend use.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
NNOCENT

Stock Block, non-DD, problem free (minus things I knew i'd have to replace)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by jeffie7
A. Dont be lazy.
B. Buy a DD you enjoy to drive. so you can sell the other one and boost the Z for weekend use.
When/if my Corolla finally goes to that big JDM junkpile in the sky [sniff,sniff] it'll probably get replaced by something that AWD that I can have fun in the snow with [and drift circles around all you dumba$$ non-driving DMV folks]. Probably a Subaru or something?

I didn't buy my Z to be a garage queen or a weekend fun thing. This might happen if I got married/had a family, etc... Then I'd probably need those weekends just to get away from that sh*t.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Haha yeah, don't let my used supercharger scare you, the oil is due to me needing a catch can to retain the mess. I wanna rebuild to be on the safe side but frank said the car will drive strong and well. I need to regulate some fuel issues and probably replace the Knock sensors, but everything is awesome! Shoot I'm hella happy
Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Knock Knock!"
"Who's there?"
"Yo engine!"

Quick Reply: the date/time is set! Dyno tune a Hill's garage!