Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Any help for a Mid-A Z owner and his unique problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 AM
SeinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help for a Mid-A Z owner and his unique problem?

I've had an ongoing problem with my z for a couple of years now where it randomly won't start.
Here is a link I posted in the maintenance/repair section which is yielding little results.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ml#post9490935

I've searched and cant find a solution to my problem.

I figured I'd post here before I sell this thing... Love this car but between fighting for a new engine because of oil consumption (new engine 3 years after purchase) and randomly not starting, this is (sad to say) more unreliable of a car then my old BMWs were.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why did you soak the MAF? Did it have a problem before?

Try disconnecting the MAF completely and see if you can start it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't some people have issues like this from a bad throttle body? Alberto?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an easy fix dude, every car has starting issues overtime. Even though it's hard to diagnose *exactly* what it could be over the internet, there's 3 things that are required for cars to get moving:

1. spark (spark plugs? wires? coilpack? battery?)
2. fuel (clogged injectors? when was the last time u had them flow tested? bad fuel filter?)
3. air (vacuum leaks? throttle body stuck closed?)

other possibilities: sensors (though you generally would trip codes or at least get a misfire)

I'd start with the cheap/easy to replace things first like spark plugs/wires and work my way from there. OR... find a friendly neighborhood Z owner and start swapping parts to eliminate the expensive possibilities. Mostly all trial and error if you don't know exactly what's causing the issue. Start issues can be pretty much anything relating to those 3 bullet points. Nothing too overly expensive to fix... more of an annoyance than anything.

Last edited by abui01; 11-28-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 AM
djamps

Another commonly overlooked issue is moisture getting into the ECM. The issue is most apparent, usually after driving or parked in the rain. The main harness boot is right above the ECM and if any extra wires have been ran thru/around it chances are it leaks, and eventually corrodes the main connection on the ECM. Seen it at least a dozen times over the years on the forums, both G's and Z's having very similar symptoms as you do.

Last edited by djamps; 11-29-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 AM
SeinZ

I'm only posting in the Mid-A section from now on! Hopefully I can come up with something. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In addition to checking what has already been posted. Check the MAIN POWER HARNESS. It goes (IIRC) form the positive battery wireset, down under the tray. Trace that down and there is a large clip down there. Mine had somehow come half undone when swapping batteries and made my car sut off randomly when driving or not start randomly or when hitting turns hard lol.

Finally figured it out. Easy fix just clipped it back in securely.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abui01
That's an easy fix dude, every car has starting issues overtime. Even though it's hard to diagnose *exactly* what it could be over the internet, there's 3 things that are required for cars to get moving:

1. spark (spark plugs? wires? coilpack? battery?)
2. fuel (clogged injectors? when was the last time u had them flow tested? bad fuel filter?)
3. air (vacuum leaks? throttle body stuck closed?)

other possibilities: sensors (though you generally would trip codes or at least get a misfire)

I'd start with the cheap/easy to replace things first like spark plugs/wires and work my way from there. OR... find a friendly neighborhood Z owner and start swapping parts to eliminate the expensive possibilities. Mostly all trial and error if you don't know exactly what's causing the issue. Start issues can be pretty much anything relating to those 3 bullet points. Nothing too overly expensive to fix... more of an annoyance than anything.
LOL did you google this?

Spark plug wires on a 350Z...really? LOL, maybe check the distributor too?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djamps
Another commonly overlooked issue is moisture getting into the ECM. The issue is most apparent, usually after driving or parked in the rain. The main harness boot is right above the ECM and if any extra wires have been ran thru/around it chances are it leaks, and eventually corrodes the main connection on the ECM. Seen it at least a dozen times over the years on the forums, both G's and Z's having very similar symptoms as you do.
slap some rtv on any lines going in or around that harness.

it will save you a grand in the long run!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

maf sensors do go bad also. Cam sensors, crank position sensors (new clutch installed recently?)

try swapping MAF sensor with a buddy (takes three minutes) see if you have the same issue.

i just had my first fuel injector being clogged. car sounded like a subaru.... i doubt thats it on start up, maybe if you have engine running issues.

you can always trade it in for a G35, they are way more reliable and tons more schexy!

LMAO!

good luck man, I had three like that. that took 3 months to figure out

Voltage MAF issue, 3 different brand new MAFs!
Wire on MAF faulty from one off about a million times in 6 years...
Injector
Oil from Supercharger getting on MAF
Fuel pressure issues from return side

but we didnt know one until we fixed the first... PITA but once its all dialed it, you instantly forget.

Hang in there.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 11-29-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Alberto
LOL did you google this?

We don't have fuel filters either, but fuel pump could be going out. :P And bad injectors are 99.99% of the time NOT an issue...save that for absolute last. You would need 4 completely clogged injectors before the car would stop running altogether.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
abui01

Originally Posted by Alberto
LOL did you google this?

LOL!!! I just caught that. Was about to type out distributor too until I realized I was being a retard.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
SeinZ

Update:

I put new NGK Iridium spark plugs in and the car ran well for a couple of days. The problem of randomly not starting came back 3-4 days after the spark plug change.

Now the car idles poorly..after I pop-start it (rarely starts with the key now).

For the first time in the life of this car a "service engine soon" light came on and was accompanied by a P0300 code which I believe represents a multiple cylinder misfire.
Misfiring would explain the horrible idle. Now I need to see why it is misfiring and the relationship of the misfire to my car not starting. I will try swapping the MAF sensor with my brothers MAF tomorrow. His car is an 04 Base Z and mine is 06 Base... the two MAF's should be the same right?

I don't trust many shops and try never to take a car of mine to one unless I absolutely have to. If I can't fix this on my own I'll have no choice

I saw many people on here praise Hills Garage so I called them at the beginning of this month but they can't see me until the 15th :/

Last edited by SeinZ; 12-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
djamps

15th is awesome for hills. Typically you book 2 months or more out. Don't forget about Chris @Elite, you can typically get in much quicker and you get the same knowledgeable personable service. Not trying to steer business from Frank but just sayin' since you're in a hurry.

With the lack of other codes my guess is fuel issues, probably the pump.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
abui01

multiple cylinder misfire = bad O2 sensor
Old 12-08-2011, 07:30 PM
djamps

multiple cylinder misfire = bad O2 sensor
Bad 02 would throw a sensor code pretty quick, and the car would still start. If all he gets is misfire codes it's probably a fuel issue given the symptoms as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM
abui01

could possibly be ur MAF is faulty putting ur car in failsafe mode. You'll get starting issues/sputtering
Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 AM
dj lizard

Yo I got 2 MAF sensors laying around in my apartment. drop me a PM so I can let you switch yours with one of them to check the issue. and I do have an uprev cable to diagnose the issue. "I have no idea if the UPREV works on multiple cars to diagnose"
good luck and I hope you find the issue.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 AM
djamps

could possibly be ur MAF is faulty putting ur car in failsafe mode. You'll get starting issues/sputtering
Even with MAF disconnected and failsafe the car should start with some pedal maneuvering. I asked him earlier to try starting with it unplugged (in case it's sending out a faulty 'high' signal) but not sure if he tried.

Last edited by djamps; 12-09-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
SeinZ

I unplugged the MAF to see if it changed anything. With the MAF unplugged I tried starting several times with pedal movement and without. The Z still doesn't start.

Tomorrow I'll swap MAF's and see what happens...if this doesn't solve the problem...Well then I guess I'm at the mercy of Hills.

Quick Reply: Any help for a Mid-A Z owner and his unique problem?