dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes
Attached Thumbnails anyone installed harnesses yet?-dscn0193.jpg  
Old 12-05-2002, 06:49 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you are looking for just autox and not permanent a suggestion was that since we do not have rear seats to hook to, that we should use the strut bar to strap the harness to, this would require removal of the cover over the strut but no big deal. Food for thought.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:37 PM
commasense

Originally posted by westpak
Well, if you are looking for just autox and not permanent a suggestion was that since we do not have rear seats to hook to, that we should use the strut bar to strap the harness to, this would require removal of the cover over the strut...
I posted here about this a while ago and didn't hear from anyone who had actually done it. Someone was kind enough to post some pictures of the brace with the plastic cover removed, but being black with a black background, it was a little hard to tell how harnesses could be mounted to it.

I'm hoping to install racing seats and harnesses by spring. If anyone has done it, or is doing it (in a street car without a full roll cage) and has any advice, please post here.

I've already been warned not to install harnesses in a car without a roll cage (because in a rollover the harness will hold my head in place while the roof smashes it in) but several facts are leading me to go ahead anyway. 1) I don't race, just run HPDEs, so I think a rollover is relatively unlikely. And B) I'll use a 4-pt harness, not a 5-pt, so if it does happen I'll slide down under the lap belt. I hope.

BTW, I spoke to Sparco about seats a month or two ago, and they said that they hadn't gotten a 350Z to work on, but would soon and expected to know which of their seats would fit and to have mounting kits for them early in 2003.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:23 AM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default harness

I installed a schroth 3-pt harness. This is street legal and is very simple to install. If you remove the spare tire cover and carpet, and looking from the rear forward, you will see 2 copper colored pieces of metal attached by 2 bolts on either side of the rear deck behind the seats. That is where I attached my harness mounts. Then I removed the seats and attached at the regular seat belt mounts. This harness system can be purchased from HMS.com about 140 each.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:07 AM
commasense

Default Re: harness

Originally posted by Clyde
I installed a schroth 3-pt harness. This is street legal and is very simple to install. If you remove the spare tire cover and carpet, and looking from the rear forward, you will see 2 copper colored pieces of metal attached by 2 bolts on either side of the rear deck behind the seats. That is where I attached my harness mounts. Then I removed the seats and attached at the regular seat belt mounts. This harness system can be purchased from HMS.com about 140 each.
When you have a chance, could you post some pictures of the harness and install? Thanks.