Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350 vs. wrx

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 08:24 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

points there anyway, WRXs are super easy to mod, downpipe and other easy bolt ons and their gone.

but lets talk stock, from a stop, they got the launch, 4wd lets them launch right into their powerband and skip the lag. hence their comparitivly slow trap speeds. but from a roll of 5mph, youll kill them. from any other roll where they can start in their power band, theyll be quick, but still only 227hp vs our 286. the car does not have some magic ability to go fast, they simply have good traction, but in these 2 cars, they only have enough power to break traction in first and second, and we've already established the WRX gets its lead on the launch.... other than that, its only 2wd since it only runs the other 2 when it slips. the extra hardware just sits there weighing it down.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:35 AM
pearl demon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehh i guess. but a race from a roll isnt really a real race.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:06 AM
ares
Veteran

wellll, might be right a "race" isnt. but I can tell you I often roll to red lights and procede on, also highway passing, thats pure power, not traction. and autocrossing and other racing, that too is pure power. and where we would break traction with 2 wheels and drift, they break all 4 and better pray.

also the Z has a higher top speed, not that anyone uses it, but it does demonstrate that the Z is able to all things equal beat a WRX in acceleration, and in top speed. shows the grunt power it has over the WRX.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:22 AM
LA-Z

"a race from a roll isnt really a real race." That sounds pretty dumb...

race2 A competition of speed, as in running or riding
A series of such competitions held at a specified time on a regular course
An extended competition in which participants struggle like runners to be the winner
To compete in a contest of speed.

Nothing about starting from a stop. Now, maybe you have your own definition. Maybe for you race only means 1/4 style races in which case the person has to be at a stop and then go as fast as possible in 1/4 and then stop again. For me I think a race from a roll is more real world relivant then stop/go races as most people are on the move when they are driving. Also a real race in my eye would involve something around a track and such. I guess bottom line wether you are at a stop or on a roll, any "street race" has little credibilty to it. Either way. I spanked it.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:29 AM
pearl demon

yeah, when NHRA starts having events called "RACE FROM A ROLL" and magazines and car companies start rating their cars from a 70mph roll... ill agree with you.

theres too many factors when racing from a roll. from a stop, its all even.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:04 AM
ares
Veteran

well as soon as a 350Z or WRX beat a V8 drag racer, then that would matter, till then neither is made to drag race, so launch ability doesnt really matter to either.

oh and 5-60 30-50 and 70-90 are common tests for magazines to show power minus launch and driving power.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:35 PM
LA-Z

First off you're WRONG, their are a TON more factors when racing from a stop then from a roll. RPM, Clutch, when someone starts/jumps, bogging from the start, burning Clutchs/drivetrains/breaking ****. Second, I think that the 5-60 MPH test is the most telling of any statistic seeing as how that stays almost the same in every test, but the 0-60 changes with each magazine (7.1-5.4 for the S2K, and 6.0-5.4 for the Z33). I for one would love if everyone would do a 5-60MPH as their main testing bench mark as it is the easiest to reproduce.
Third, when the hell did NHRA start to dictate what a Race is? Ever hear of F1? Lemans? The 0-60 / 1/4 mile race is as much driver as it is car, a 5-60+ race is almost all car, minus whoever gets a jump.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:13 AM
LA-Z

gee. Maybe you didn't READ MY POST. The car I ran was a BPU, which means it prob. had a boost controller. Like I said, from a stand still he would've walked me. From a roll a stock WRX is NO match for a 350Z, I know, my brother owns one and I walked him everytime. From a roll a BPU WRX seems, from my race, to be just even. Maybe at higher MPH it would've started to walk me, but didn't seem that way to me. I was even with him every time (until the second run, when I was even to 60MPH and I shifted into 5th at which point he passed me.)
Old 12-29-2002, 09:42 PM
zogan

Originally posted by pearl demon
yeah, when NHRA starts having events called "RACE FROM A ROLL" and magazines and car companies start rating their cars from a 70mph roll... ill agree with you.

theres too many factors when racing from a roll. from a stop, its all even.
pearl Demon, what kind of car do you have, it seems like some of your post are ragging on the Z.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:22 PM
KIMUTAKU

i have not driven a 350z yet...so i dun really know which car is faster...

but from numbers...stock vs stock...hell the 350z is alot faster...

but it's not always about horsepower...there are other factors...

and yes, the wrx is very easily modded...and that's the nature of turbo-charged cars...

i dun see many Z up here in vancouver...i really want to race one...but i'll probably get my *** handed to me...
Old 12-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by vir2L
PROBABLY ISNT HAVING. Did you ACTUALLY see a Boost Controller? Do you know for sure he had one? All you are going off of is his BS comment that he's churnin 380 to the wheels. I've had riceboys in Civic EX's tell me that they are running 300 whp with a CAI.

And are you trying to imply that your Z is capable of low 13's? Because thats what an WRX with a chip/bc is capable of. I think its safe to say the driver was lying or didn't know how to drive.

PS: your hypothetical jibba-jabba is making me sick.

Cheers

hey dumbass
go check ur stats..since when did bpu wrx's dyno 380 to the wheels?

i don think bpu means havin a chip also dumbass
Old 12-30-2002, 06:34 PM
Ozzie

Haven't driven a 350z (will be on the first boat to Australia) but...
Had a 2000WRX, stock timed 0-62 6.3, added a turbo back 3" exhaust (650$ american) and that alone got it to 5.4. 1500$ packages bring the times down to 4.8-4.9
Hence, stock should be beaten fairly comfortably, but most ones (in Aus anyway) are modified so there won't be any easy races.
Another factor is model - 94-96 were a bit slower (I think) 97-98 were the fastest, 99-00 second fastest, latest model in production slowest. The new model to come out in 03 is supposed to be the fastest yet (stock 5.7).
Also a correction on weights - 00 model was 1270kgs (2794lbs) which is not "100" lbs lighter but about 400lbs lighter depending on the z model.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:20 PM
ares
Veteran

everyone needs to read, he said from a roll. one mag(SCC maybe?) tested a 315hp WRX, did 0-60 in 4.4seconds or something, crazy fast huh? did 5-60 in 5.9 seconds. HAHAHAHAHA wheres the speed now? the G35coupe was tested in the same mag, got 6.1 and 6.5. if the Z ran 5.5, and hypotheticly had the same loss as the coupe of .4 seconds, the Z is equal toa 315hp WRX from a roll.

oh and of course the WRX in this test had tread, rims, suspension ect. it cost around 40grand for this "package"

I know where my 33k went, into a car that is 10x more luxurious than a wrx and can move regaurdless of MPH.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:32 PM
Ozzie

It's called turbo lag... you have a turbo car, you need to compensate for it, simple as that. At 5 mph the car would be at very low revs which is why the time is slow.
All I'm saying is that a modified WRX (put in 1.5k or more) should beat a stock Z from most speeds unless the driver gets it wrong and the revs drop below 3k.
Another misconception is that its hard to get a good start in a rex and that u have to give it a 7k clutch drop - starting from 4k will get u 98% of the performance of a 7k drop (thats how all i got all my times).
The interior is a bit bland yeah - but there really aren't many stand out interiors these days. I've seen inside a porsche boxter - id give it a 6/10 where the rex is 5/10. The z may be a 7 (nothing too fancy either, but some nice odds and ends).
All in all a wrx is great performance for the price (much better than the z - here in aus a rex is about 44k on road where the starting price for the z is 65-71 on road). I have a z on order however, so that should say that its a good car for the money but not based solely on the performance.
Anyway the thread is about which will win - a stock z will beat a stock rex, a mildly modified rex should be an even race, a heavily modified rex will kill the z.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:45 PM
ares
Veteran

thats true for many cars. but the wrx is easier to mod than many due to its stock turbo. Id still sweat everytime I launched waiting for the glass tranny to break. but I guess thats what the warrenty is for right?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Zmeflyby

damn i cant edit my post!!
Old 12-31-2002, 05:53 PM
jigga

As for the comments above about the WRX being comparatively slow with the the high 5 second time, that is due to turbo lag. The particular turbo being run on that car does not spool until close to 4000RPM, and going 5mph in a WRX will put engine revs just over 1000RPM. As a result, the engine has to climb (in low compression 2L fashion) to just under 4000RPM before the power comes.

Heck, even the 6speed 1000RWHP highway beast Supras that you read about would take around the same time to reach 60MPH from a 5mph roll. Their turbos don't wake up until about 5000RPM. ANY high HP turbocar with a large turbo will have a crappy 5-60mph time when compared to its 0-60 time. This is because of the low compression of the engine that allows for boost friendliness.

In order to barely edge out a 350z from a roll on race, the WRX will need a turbo back exhaust, boost controller, and a unichip/utec piggyback ecu. These mods put the WRX in the high 4's for 0-60mph , with low 13's in the quarter mile, with a trap speed or around 102MPH. Oh... and the HP jumps to a little under 230HP at ALL 4 wheels....

If you need proof of this, check out www.turboxs.com
and look at their stage 2 package for the WRX.

As for the WRX having a glass tranny, it does not. There are just a few rules one has to abide by when driving ANY AWD manual car.

High RPM clutch drops are a big no no... To get the best times, you need to slip the clutch out. Remember that the WRX gets little to zero wheelspin when launched, with power being evenly sent to ALL 4 wheels all the time (even when cruising), so the gearbox is left to deal with all of the stress that would usually be disipated by a RWD or FWD car. I don't care what kind of car you are driving, if it has AWD and you are performing high RPM clutch drops, your tranny WILL NOT last very long. The DSM, 3000GT, and Evo owners will tell you the same thing.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:16 PM
CottonWoodz

MoD for MoD the Z would win .....
Stock for stock the Z would win......

I* love how people come and post garbage about how, this and that car will beat the Z, if it has this and that done too it.
Well yeah, my prelude will beat my stock Z ,if I Modded the HELL out of it..

I could make a Chevy Astrovan beat a Stock Z if I really wanted too. WHATS YOUR POINT.

Quick Reply: 350 vs. wrx