Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

The Z Is ' QUICK ' So Get Over It!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 02:37 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow The Z Is ' QUICK ' So Get Over It!!!

You know, I have read thru numerous posts of "races, vs. etc." and there always seem to be challenges or straight up disbelief from various persons (particularly non Z owners) but some Z owners as well. All I can say is that some of these stories may seem hard to believe and maybe some are b.s. BUT! unless you personally were there or have personally attempted the same type of race/run that the individual (Z owner) has claimed, who are you/we to call b.s.?
This is what is so puzzling to me?
Now seriously people, I am now about to address those of us who have actually driven multiple performance/sports cars.......WELL!!! Ket word here people: WELL! For those people I would like to ask? Do you not concede that if you were to race an individual with the same exact car and setup as yourself, that you would indeed win? I would, and have! Now then, keep that thought! Do you not also concede that *Driver Skill-(VERY critical in a race!) Road Conditions, (knowledge of the roads and area/roadway you are on) and overall condition of the car (yours and theirs) you are racing would also play a major role in the OUTCOME of a race? Not only what I just mentioned, BUT ALSO, surely you "die-hard" skilled racers (just meaning you have participated in numerous races in numerous cars) realize that stats 'on paper' and 'real world' stats are totally out the window in an actual race/run (unless of course the 1 of the 2 cars seriously outpowers the other! And I'm not talking 10-30 hp guys. Cause that minor of a hp gain can easily be overcome by the conditions I mentioned above. TRUST ME!
That being said: I am not gonna even post all of the cars that I have run up against beat or lost to. BUT, I have ABSOLUTELY no reason to lie or fudge anything I write or say. Why? At least that's my philosophy, "You win some, you lose some." And this can be applied to anything in life.
Now then a coulpe of my own "personal experiences" that I consider worth mentioning: 2 runs against E46 M3's (new gen), my boys 01 Vette (coupe), Boxster S, and a 911 Carrera (new gen).
I was with my wife one evening on the Tollway, and this Black M3 came up on the entrance ramp, swung all the way over to the left lane right up on my a**! So being with the wifey and all, I tend to take it easy. BUT! He swings around on my passenger side and literally paces my speed! I tell my wife, "Hang on, I just gotta!" We were at @ 70ish, so I drop into 3rd and nail it, so does he I assume. Well he pulls on me up thru 4th, but NOT NEARLY as much as I was expecting! Maybe 1.5 - 2 cars. Hmmm? As we approach the Toll Plaza (we both have tags) we get a rolling start from @ 35. I nail it from 2nd...lay a 3rd gear chirp and he's right beside me, and doesn't start pulling on me til' @ 80+ and the upshift to 4th. Even then the margin is 2 - 3 cars. Nontheless, win for the M3.
Next a white M3 run (we're both alone): Very near my neighborhood and we are making a turn to go South. We're in 2 lanes so no excuses, RIGHT? I'm in 1st and as soon as I straighten out from the turn...I nail it, 2nd gear scratch as does he, but guess what, he's just behind my pass. door! And then upshift to 3rd, I get a slight chirp, as does he, as we aproach 90 (he's still behind me but now a little further back where I can see him in my pass. mirror) I let down and then he passes me, and then he slows as well. Yeah, yeah I know, public roads, BUT, I've been waiting for this moment toooooo long! As you might imagine....I'm hype as hell! Grinnin' like a ****! We slow to the light and before he turns, he says. "Sweet ride, quicker than I thought!" Smiles and goes his way. Chalk one up for TXSTYLE.
C5 Vette (01' w/ exhaust): Enter the freeway nail it, and I'm with him til' @ 80+. He starts to pull on me and maintains a good 3+ cars up to @ 140. The 'considerable' hp & torque advantages do not lie! Chalk it up for the Vette.
Boxster S: Entrance ramp at the same time @ Loop 12 & Tollway, N. Bound.....He was COMPLETELY DESTROYED from start to well into tripple digits! Nuff said.
Now then for the naysayers concerning the new gen 911's: (we're both alone)
I come across a new generation 911 (obviously non-turbo so don't be a goober ) as I am about to enter the N. Tollway entrance ramp @ Frankford heading North. I personally have been waiting for one of these ****'s cause' they (I should say the ones I've come across ) think they are just "Da Sh**!" Anyway he's behind me, xenons and all, I purposely slow down even though I have a Toll Tag, just so he can attempt to go around me...............BOOM!!! I lay into 2nd @ 20 mph as he blatantly hammers his to try and pass, "Try and Pass! As I upshift into 3rd right before redline, the most INCREDIBLE 3rd gear scratch to date let's out! And even when I hammered it in 2nd, I noticed and felt a CONSIDERABLE surge unlike ever before! My rpm's were climbing like an F-16, and the car truly felt like there was some forced-induction lurking underneath!!! There is something powerful going on with cooler air and the Z. I only glanced at my rpm's at a split-second to prevent shut off as I needed to keep my eyes on the increasing amount of road being consumed! Guys by the time we reached the actual toll plaza @ 1.5 miles up he barely started to gain at 145+ mph after I had as much as 3 cars on his a** from the onset! Needless to say, as we both slowed down and I was finally able to see just what make and model it was...........A Black 911 w/ 18' chrome TT wheels! Flawless! The guy rolls down his window and gives the thumbs up as he prepares to exit at Parker.

The cost of mt C S Performance 350Z $32k and some change. The cost of that new generation 911, probably @ $75k+.
The cost of my picture perfect smile as I sailed down the rest of the Tollway home.............PRICELESS!!!

Some of you may recall this story, as I posted it before. Now then what would I contribute to these seemingly impossible wins? (on paper that is) The very things I mentioned above!
Take this for what it's worth, BUT! It happened and I'm sure this won't be the 1st time I lose to an M3, beat an M3, or win/lose to a Porsche, Vette or some other car.....
Old 02-26-2003, 03:04 PM
djlynch

nuff said.

Good post (and kills).
Old 02-26-2003, 03:09 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.

do you happe to know if the 911 was a 296 HP or 320 HP (02 and older) version, or if it was a Tip???

was the M3 a cab or coupe

what about the C5, cab or coupe, auto or stick???
Old 02-26-2003, 03:16 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

I won't even lie and say I know "for sure" if it was 296hp or 320hp flavor. BUT! It was shiny as hell and had the 'chrome Turbo 18' optional wheels. But DEFINITELY a newer model! No question, cause I love that car (I think it's SEVERLY overpriced!).
Both M3's were coupes and manuals based on the tale-tale pause & acceleration of standards.
The Vette was a Coupe.

TX
Old 02-26-2003, 03:40 PM
rodH

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
I won't even lie and say I know "for sure" if it was 296hp or 320hp flavor. BUT! It was shiny as hell and had the 'chrome Turbo 18' optional wheels. But DEFINITELY a newer model! No question, cause I love that car (I think it's SEVERLY overpriced!).
Both M3's were coupes and manuals based on the tale-tale pause & acceleration of standards.
The Vette was a Coupe.

TX
I gotta agree, I have grown up a 911 fan, BUT if I could afford it, it would sure be hard to justify that payment knowning what a deal the Z is. Perhaps when I make my first million, that will change. Even my father who drives a CLK55, and has an SL500 on order (and getting on the list for a SL55 the year after) who drives a G35 as his daily car, can't believe how nice these cars are for the $$.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:51 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

No doubt! If I had $75+k to spend on a car (meaning to spend on 1 car) it would be a E55, RS6, M5 or the such! I just like the fact that these cars are every bit as fast as a Porsche but 4-doors to boot!
Old 02-26-2003, 08:28 PM
ZFlyer

Well said TXSTYLE,

You know, I really can't believe the number of people on this site with different car makes that just sit around waiting to call BS on someone's victory. It's almost like police sent from LS1.com or various other sites to keep us "ricers" in line. I guess some people can't fathom the fact that a car with two cylinders less, and less hp can even hang with cars with bigger motors. I usually ignore them, but since someone brought it up, I had to vent.

-Bryan
Old 02-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Inova

yea i just dont see why the f-body guys are so insecure that they have to come onto a 350z site and call bs on everything.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:05 AM
Caswell

It's not insecurity, it's the way this forum is set up. Most car guys I know are interested in a bunch of different makes and models, and we check out other forums to see what's up. Well, since you're forced to register just to view posts, you might as well chime in if the BS starts.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:34 AM
jester

Originally posted by Caswell
It's not insecurity, it's the way this forum is set up. Most car guys I know are interested in a bunch of different makes and models, and we check out other forums to see what's up. Well, since you're forced to register just to view posts, you might as well chime in if the BS starts.
Same deal here....I check out several Mustang sites (cause I own one ) as well as other "Comparable" car forms....

And just for the record...I call BS on the Mustang boards just like I would here....so please don't think I come over here to just toss up a flag.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:07 AM
jeffa55

Those are some great runs!! Is K&N the only thing you have done to your engine?? (I think that is all I saw on your sig).
Old 02-27-2003, 05:52 AM
Z33Fan

F-bodies are really a hit-and-miss when it comes to racing them. Some, you can beat easily (like the poor guys in the V6 versions that still think they can play), while others can pull dead even, and beat you at the top end (like the 99-00 SS I managed to beat by a 1/2 car length from a 50 roll only because I got a good jump at his signal).

They definitely have personal problems with the quick foreign cars keeping up with them, but they'll beat us in a variety of types of races. Bottom line - 1) Street racing is dangerous, and can be deadly, so be careful, and 2) Driver skill and varied conditions encountered on the road make all the difference.

Want an equal race? Go to the local 'strip. It's the closest thing you can get to equal conditions.

I just hope the 350Z owners don't embarrass themselves by being stupid before, during, or after races. If you lose, lose graciously, and if you win, just flash the confidence.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:19 AM
webcarconnection

Default Re: The Z Is ' QUICK ' So Get Over It!!!

[B] Next a white M3 run (we're both alone): Very near my neighborhood and we are making a turn to go South. We're in 2 lanes so no excuses, RIGHT? I'm in 1st and as soon as I straighten out from the turn...I nail it, 2nd gear scratch as does he, but guess what, he's just behind my pass. door! And then upshift to 3rd, I get a slight chirp, as does he, as we aproach 90 (he's still behind me but now a little further back where I can see him in my pass. mirror) I let down and then he passes me, and then he slows as well.

C5 Vette (01' w/ exhaust): Enter the freeway nail it, and I'm with him til' @ 80+. He starts to pull on me and maintains a good 3+ cars up to @ 140. The 'considerable' hp & torque advantages do not lie! Chalk it up for the Vette.

I lay into 2nd @ 20 mph as he blatantly hammers his to try and pass, "Try and Pass! As I upshift into 3rd right before redline, the most INCREDIBLE 3rd gear scratch to date let's out! And even when I hammered it in 2nd, I noticed and felt a CONSIDERABLE surge unlike ever before! My rpm's were climbing like an F-16, and the car truly felt like there was some forced-induction lurking underneath!!! There is something powerful going on with cooler air and the Z. I only glanced at my rpm's at a split-second to prevent shut off as I needed to keep my eyes on the increasing amount of road being consumed! Guys by the time we reached the actual toll plaza @ 1.5 miles up he barely started to gain at 145+ mph after I had as much as 3 cars on his a** from the onset! Needless to say, as we both slowed down and I was finally able to see just what make and model it was...........A Black 911 w/ 18' chrome TT wheels! Flawless! The guy rolls down his window and gives the thumbs up as he prepares to exit at Parker.

[

you took the words out of my mouth, I have the same experience w that cars, except the C5, it was a conv. A4 we stick side by side up to 115.

like you said most non Z owners don't gonna believe us, but who cares... we gonna keep having fun!
Old 02-27-2003, 07:35 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally posted by jeffa55
Those are some great runs!! Is K&N the only thing you have done to your engine?? (I think that is all I saw on your sig).
K&N and Grounding kit, that's about it for performance, (Stillen true-dual & Intake right around the corner...).

Originally posted by Z33Fan
They definitely have personal problems with the quick foreign cars keeping up with them, but they'll beat us in a variety of types of races. Bottom line - 1) Street racing is dangerous, and can be deadly, so be careful, and 2) Driver skill and varied conditions encountered on the road make all the difference.

Want an equal race? Go to the local 'strip. It's the closest thing you can get to equal conditions.

I just hope the 350Z owners don't embarrass themselves by being stupid before, during, or after races. If you lose, lose graciously, and if you win, just flash the confidence.
Very well stated! And for the record, I can in all honesty say that in all of this time, I have yet to run a Stang or Z28...
Old 02-27-2003, 08:56 AM
silverstone_350z

Default Re: The Z Is ' QUICK ' So Get Over It!!!

[B]Even then the margin is 2 - 3 cars. Nontheless, win for the M3.
First off, i want to say good kills.
I
have driven a 350Z to its limits and i know it is faster then people think.

2) your car looks AWESOME!

3) ok, no flames here. I am just gonna tell you something that everybody should know, and i am sure you are aware of it.
You do know that 2-3 cars is a big margin and is considered an a$$ whoopin right? Not flames, just a FYI
Old 02-27-2003, 09:29 AM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: The Z Is ' QUICK ' So Get Over It!!!

Originally posted by silverstone_350z

3) ok, no flames here. I am just gonna tell you something that everybody should know, and i am sure you are aware of it.
You do know that 2-3 cars is a big margin and is considered an a$$ whoopin right? Not flames, just a FYI

Hmm.... but he said "I tell my wife, "Hang on, I just gotta!" We were at @ 70ish, so I drop into 3rd and nail it". so he is not alone, you have a overweigth car, just to point that out.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:32 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

I am fully aware of the margin of 2-3 cars. I've owned and raced SEVERAL fast cars.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:38 AM
mcduck

TXStyle...

Great stories! Reading through them, I wonder if our Zs have a bit of anti-Porsche in their souls?

I've not raced a 911 yet, but similarly destroyed a Boxster S. Maybe our Zs just tired of being mistaken for Porsches and let loose a little extra 'umph' when racing one of them.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:42 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by mcduck
TXStyle...

Great stories! Reading through them, I wonder if our Zs have a bit of anti-Porsche in their souls?

I've not raced a 911 yet, but similarly destroyed a Boxster S. Maybe our Zs just tired of being mistaken for Porsches and let loose a little extra 'umph' when racing one of them.
Yeah, it's like my car senses there's a Porsche and she gets anxious!
But I was also gonna edit my above post and tell silverstone that what I consider to be an a** whoopin is more like 4 cars and above. Otherwise, you're hangin in there.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:43 AM
silverstone_350z

cool dude. i wasnt trying to be a di** or anything. just a fyi.
awesome car, and awesome runs.

Quick Reply: The Z Is ' QUICK ' So Get Over It!!!