MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Motorsports (https://my350z.com/forum/motorsports-24/)
-   -   T/A WS6 Vs Z (https://my350z.com/forum/motorsports/21396-t-a-ws6-vs-z.html)

Swank 03-11-2003 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Javi

So can a Z beat your average LS1, it will depend on too many factors. Will the LS1 always beat the Z? It will depend.
This time seems the Z had the advantage.

I'll just quote this last section but I am referring to just about all of your post. First, had he raced a M6 I could believe this story a bit more and here is why. With an M6 the person behind the wheel chooses the gear, the A4..well the computer. The driver of an M6 could be in 6th gear when driving and downshift only to 4th. Because of this flaw in driving the 350 could easily gain the ground and then when the M6 got back into the power range would start to pull again.

Now for the A4, again the computer picks the gear. I sat there several times trying to see what gear my car would pick while driving 50 mph and I floored it. I started in O/D each time (4th) and every single time I floored the car, it went to 2nd. I did this atleast a dozen times on 3 different occasions this afternoon.

Just that alone shows if the guy he raced actually took off at the same time would put him into 2nd. There is no driver error here. It is all car. Granted that persons car might night have the same exact HP as mine but if you have been around the LS1 community you will know that it is pretty damn close. Read my long arse :D :D post above for more details.

Javi 03-11-2003 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Swank
sukkoi19, thank you. You said it perfect. Now I was wrong on the actual numbers being put down for my car. I just got back from the road and my car is at 3800 RPMS when it shifts into 2nd @ 50 mph. I looked at the graph and it shows my corrected numbers were 230 HP and 318 TQ. You are very close to my peak numbers too, the are 315.6 HP and 327.4 TQ corrected. Uncorrected for that day was 328 HP and 340 TQ (which these numbers are useless because you may dyno on a hotter or colder day than I). So lets just use corrected numbers.

Now just 1000 RPM's higher (4800) I am putting down 298 HP and 323 TQ.

Dyno Graph

We'll use that as an example to figure out HP with RPM.

Used this site to get gear ratio

I used the 245/45/18 tire ratio for the rear. Now off my calculations you should have downshifted to 3rd to hit 50 mph for a race (2nd would put you too high making you shift just about right away). At that speed in 3rd you'd be at about 3600 RPMS. Going off that graph that Z would be putting down 140 HP and 220 TQ (I'll add 20 hp to your numbers for your other mods, remember you already have that mod in the graph) so your numbers will be about 160 Hp and 240 Tq. If you add the 20 HP for your other mods and the 10 for the injen it gives you your quoted 262 HP.

At this piont I've got 90 HP and 78 TQ on you. Now you said you knew he downshifted because you saw black smoke come from his exhaust plus you were 1 1/2 cars behind when you went. Now you are trying to say that you pulled from a 1 1/2 car length deficit (sp?) being down about 90 HP and 78 TQ @ 3800 RPM's for me and came back to close the gap by 115?

You mentioned something about gearing earlier..well here is my gearing

1st 3.059
2nd 1.625
3rd 1.000
4th 0.696

Here is your gearing

1st -3.794
2nd -2.324
3rd -1.624
4th-1.271
5th -1.000
6th -0.794

You will notice that your 3rd gear ratio is nearly identical to my 2nd. Again, are you trying to say that with just 300 lbs less, the same gear ratio starting out, and 90 HP and 78 TQ to start you were able to pull back that 1 1/2 car length? I don't think so.

You can say that I am being too technical but they iz the facts. Numbers don't lie. Now what may have happened is you were playing with him earlier in traffic, you got caught up and tried playing catch up. He saw you coming hard so he floored it right when you were 1 1/2 cars back, his reaction time and the time of the car down shifting allows you to gain more. He probably let off because of the speeds you two were going.

Excuse me I didn't know you where the driver and it was your car.
Give me a break! Are you for real?
How can you explain what happened in a place that you where not to be found?
Please!!!

Swank 03-11-2003 02:58 PM

How can you explain what happened in a place that you where not to be found?

First, learn that you DON'T have to quote the entire message. 2nd, step back away from defending your car for just a second and try to look rationally at my points. You will see that they are very valid. I am sure many of your compadre's will agree that this story does not make sense but don't feel like wasting their time posting.

I drive an LS1 everyday. I know it's potential. I have recently ran a 350Z several times (read my posts earlier). Just from the beating that person took I know that this story isn't all true. The author is leaving something out.
I don't have to have been there to know what happened...I have my experience, many other LS1'ers and even people on this same board who in the past have agreed to stories like this that they are bogus.

Tom

wicked-98 03-11-2003 03:30 PM

I really doubt it down shifted and I'm sure it could have been an a4 with 2.73 gears (they suck) I know that when my tranny kicks down at 50 it goes down on the rpms to around 2500-2900 rpms but 65 and up it really just flys

Maximam 03-11-2003 03:46 PM

Isn't it nice to get a draft and keep up with faster cars?

Swank 03-11-2003 03:48 PM

Originally posted by wicked-98
I really doubt it down shifted and I'm sure it could have been an a4 with 2.73 gears (they suck) I know that when my tranny kicks down at 50 it goes down on the rpms to around 2500-2900 rpms but 65 and up it really just flys

Nope..WS6's come with the performance axle of 3.23's That is part of the WS6 package with an auto.

CrazyBosnian 03-11-2003 06:35 PM

How about you all stop arguing about a pointless thread...He was there, now its your choice if you believe him or not...

Now, if anybody in atlanta wants to race a trans am, plase let me know, we'll race, tape it and post the results, simple as that...

Oh yeah i can drive...;)

brandboZ28 03-11-2003 06:54 PM

I am in Atlanta for the week. I am fixing my intake manifold leak but when I get it back together, you better hope I dont run across you on the street. Im gonna tear you up man. If I were you and we decide to run our cars, I wouldnt even show.:D :p ;) Just kidding. Later man, let me know if you wanna run, I havent had a good beating in a while.

Hang On 03-11-2003 06:58 PM

Re: T/A WS6 Vs Z

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Before I tell my story I will like to say that in " the streets anything can happen", I notice some of the members are experts in street racing.... sorry "magazing racing", saying what car can or can't beat the Z, but not of them have race the cars or own a Z.
well, saying that, my story goes like this... I was in the highway and saw a red WS6 up front, it was a little traffic at the time but clear up just when I rigth behine him and when we have the chance we go for it, he was 1 1/2 car up front and we roll at 50 mph I was in 3rd and by the time I put 4th I was just 1 car behine at the top of 4th I was 1/2 car and S/D at 115. we get side by side but with traffic again and he give me the thumps up.
I'm guessing it was a A4, have some tips but dont know it have any exhaust. I know for some people is gonna be hard to believe this story but for the record I seeing Ls1 A4 doing 13.9 @102 and M6 13.8 @103 but also have seeing doing 13.5 @105.
like I say "in the streets anything can happen".

Yes anything can happen on the streets.........nice kill.

I do agree that, within reason, the driver does make a BIG difference......but I will say that LS1s doing 13.9 is more the exception than the rule. ;)

SOLD: 11/02
'99 pewter Z28 M6 hardtop
lid, K&N, Loudmouth, Konis
13.2 @ 108.0 / 2.18 - 60'
(no weight reductions on F1s)

CURRENT
'00 pewter TA WS6 M6
lid, K&N, Loudmouth, Konis (rear)
13.0 @ 108.8 / 2.09 - 60'
(no weight reductions on F1s)

CrazyBosnian 03-11-2003 07:00 PM

Originally posted by brandboZ28
I am in Atlanta for the week. I am fixing my intake manifold leak but when I get it back together, you better hope I dont run across you on the street. Im gonna tear you up man. If I were you and we decide to run our cars, I wouldnt even show.:D :p ;) Just kidding. Later man, let me know if you wanna run, I havent had a good beating in a while.
Lol, i cant beat on my buddy neighbor, but maybe we can beat on our other buddy that thinks he is fast?:rolleyes: :D

brandboZ28 03-11-2003 07:10 PM

Originally posted by CrazyBosnian
Lol, i cant beat on my buddy neighbor, but maybe we can beat on our other buddy that thinks he is fast?:rolleyes: :D
OK, its a deal. Everyone knows that different headers give a 5.0 7 tenths in the 1/4. I think we are both in trouble. :rolleyes: :confused: :D

CrazyBosnian 03-11-2003 07:13 PM

Originally posted by brandboZ28
OK, its a deal. Everyone knows that different headers give a 5.0 7 tenths in the 1/4. I think we are both in trouble. :rolleyes: :confused: :D
Naah, he doesnt mess with me, just johny and you, you guys are in big trouble...

Javi 03-11-2003 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Swank
First, learn that you DON'T have to quote the entire message. 2nd, step back away from defending your car for just a second and try to look rationally at my points. You will see that they are very valid. I am sure many of your compadre's will agree that this story does not make sense but don't feel like wasting their time posting.

I drive an LS1 everyday. I know it's potential. I have recently ran a 350Z several times (read my posts earlier). Just from the beating that person took I know that this story isn't all true. The author is leaving something out.
I don't have to have been there to know what happened...I have my experience, many other LS1'ers and even people on this same board who in the past have agreed to stories like this that they are bogus.

Tom

You said it sir, you know the potential of the LS1, congratulations. Do you know the potential of the 350Z? Why is it so hard to believe that a Z can give a competitive race against an LS1? Numbers don't lie you say?
Did you know you are wasting your time comparing Dyno charts and hp figures? You know why? It’s called power to weight ratio. Have you herd of it? Did you know that the Z had an advantage over the WS6?

Know what? I will not waist any more time with this crap, ever since this isn't productive. This is why I don't like this type of discussions. This forum is for people who happen to like the Z and share their experiences with fellow owners/enthusiasts so they can expand their knowledge of the car in point.
If you decide not to believe, go ahead, but don't come here to this forum to contradict and to despise a person that shares his honest experiences with his fellow members/350Z owners just because you happen to own an LS1 and know its potential and because it seems you have this extensive divine knowledge about the two cars, that can figure out and explain what really happened in order for you to understand why a car with less hp can give a run for the money to an WS6. Because in your LS1 world it just can't happen. Its impossible...

02ta 03-11-2003 08:44 PM

I have a question, did he race with you? Because its a complete waiste of time to compare two cars that are not the main subject of the thread. If you are trying to compare your car with his car, then that is a complete different subject. If you are trying to say that all cars are the same then you are wrong.
I owned a '95 Formula 6M, it had'1.6 Crane Gold RR's, no cat, custom 3" pipes, SLP muffler etc. I had compucar nitrous system with 225hp jets. I had to custom made a ceramic disk for my clutch because it had a lot of power. It dynoed 297 rwhp and 349 rwtq n/a with the juice it made 490rwhp and 560 lbs.tq So I know what the f-body is capable of and what it lacks.

I have a question for you
Why do you claim to know what a LS1 f-body can do when you had a LT1 f-body?
The motors are diffrent and a LS1 pulls alot better at higher speeds then a LT1

Javi 03-11-2003 09:08 PM

Originally posted by 02ta
I have a question for you
Why do you claim to know what a LS1 f-body can do when you had a LT1 f-body?
The motors are diffrent and a LS1 pulls alot better at higher speeds then a LT1

It isn't what an LS1 can or can't do. It's if a Z can give a good fight against a stock LS1.
I'm not saying that I know what an LS1 can do, I'm saying that I had an F-body and know that those cars can make lots of hp with minimal modifications. I'm not saying that the LS1 can't compete with the Z, I'm saying that I know that the Z is capable of making a good race against an LS1 stock and much more if it is auto.
The reason I mentioned my LT1 is because I raced cars with more hp than mine and I still could beat them. Just because a car has more hp it doesn't mean that is faster than another who has less hp.

CrazyBosnian 03-11-2003 09:09 PM

Once again does anybody want to race a TA???
Please stop arguing people, its pointless...:icon04:

Swank 03-12-2003 03:04 AM

You my friend are right, we will not agree here. I am speaking from personal experience when I raced a guy the other day several times from a 50 roll. This guy had several times to get it right and the outcome was the same each time, he lost and was falling behind further as the speeds increased.

I'll say, good run but I sure wish I had the chance to race you to show to the world that your story is a bit far fetched.

Got those dyno sheets and 1/4 mile numbers yet?? I'd love to see them just to see your rolling numbers and power curve.

One other thing, what was your tq numbers for that dyno run you had where you only post whp?

Swank 03-12-2003 03:15 AM

Sorry!!

Swank 03-12-2003 04:14 AM

Did you know you are wasting your time comparing Dyno charts and hp figures? You know why? It’s called power to weight ratio. Have you herd of it? Did you know that the Z had an advantage over the WS6?

OK genius, lets do the power to weight ratio...I would have thought you would have done the math before you opened your mouth and inserted foot, but I guess not. So here goes.

My Peak HP was 315...you said my car is 3500lbs without me in it (which is right). So 3500/315 = 11.111111 is my power to weight ratio.

So for every HP I am pulling 11.11111 lbs. Would you agree?

Now your peak HP was 262...you said your car is 3,186lbs

So 3186/262 = 12.160 lbs per HP

With those numbers who's car has the better power to weight ratio? Looks like mine :D

Now you have a point that not all cars are equal so lets just say the car you raced had 290 HP.

3500/290 = 12.0689

Wow, again you lose :D :D

Now do I understand your whole argument..power to weight ratio is everything? So did you really win?

webcarconnection 03-12-2003 05:40 AM

Hey Swank, I'm gonna say that maybe if I run with you, you may win, but I'm in Puerto Rico, so is a little hard to get a race with you. the point is that the WS6 that I run is not the same of yours.
So believe what you want, no matter what theory you post is not gonna change what happen.

Peace!