Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

My 01 gsxr750 vs. Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 08:22 AM
joeshow750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starboyz...thats what they were called. I remember an interview with them. It was one of those European mags, and they showed them how a bike should really be ridden(knee draggin, exhaust scrappin), and the Starboyz guys said THEY were crazy.
I remember that, it was in "Superbike" mag. The editor, Simon (who can ride his **** off), was impressed with the 5 mile standup-wheelies but once they got to the track it was his turn to impress.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:29 AM
importriders

Yup..that was the one. That magazine was cool...especially the centerfolds!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:49 AM
fisc0153

Question Apples vs. Oranges

Has anyone actually done a horsepower to weight ratio calculation for a typical 750 bike and a Z06? If you did, you would find that pitting almost any car against almost any bike is not an apples to apples comparison. If bike dudes want to brag about how fast they are, they should talk about races with other bikes.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:25 AM
joeshow750

Has anyone actually done a horsepower to weight ratio calculation for a typical 750 bike and a Z06? If you did, you would find that pitting almost any car against almost any bike is not an apples to apples comparison. If bike dudes want to brag about how fast they are, they should talk about races with other bikes.
fisc0153,
Ok. There's always this guy on a Ducati 996 at all the trackdays. Me and him are always at each others' throat on the track. It's always me and him for 20 mins...outbraking, undercutting, stuffing, and just generally dicing. Well he and I were battling all session long, as usual, and we had many closes passes and I'm completely enthralled with the battle. Coming into the bus stop (slow 180 degree left hander that enters onto the oval at PIR) I see the red flag, which signals the end of the session. So I decide to brake late and make a final pass to finish in front of him on the way back to the paddock...well I guess he was thinking the same thing, because he braked really late as well. I nearly T-boned him, not expecting him to turn in like that, but he noticed me on the inside and adjusted his line. We go through the banking...THIS IS PROBABLY THE SCARIEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE!!! As we enter the banking we are side by side, with me on the inside and his front tire maybe a foot in front of mine. Neither of us brake at all as we roll by the banking-flagger/corner worker. As we are going through the banking, I made up my mind that I would not let him get across the start finish line first (again he must have been thinking the same). On the exit, I'm going faster than I ever have through the banking and he's on the outside only about 3 feet away, side by side. At the same reference point as normal I go WOT and my back began a gradual slide. I felt it right away and I stayed chopped just a tiny bit and I caught it early enough and made it through the corner. I crossed the start finish line ahead of him, barely. We got a stern warning from Team Arizona (guys who run the Trackdays), but since there were only like four people on the track... I never have talked to the guy, we just always give a thumbs up after the session...if he only knew how close he had come to losing his life... Well that's my best race story.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:28 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Apples vs. Oranges

Originally posted by fisc0153
That's exactly like the excuse I hear from Ferrari and Porsche guys when they get beat by a bike....so if I beat a single turbo Supra with my bike then I'm not allowed to "brag" about it??

If you're talking strictly on power to weight ratio then I could say that there are MANY cars out there that with less than 10 grand in power mods can keep up with and beat most bikes....I know a few guys with LS1s that have less than 5 grand in them...and they can run with 600cc sportbikes, and how about them supras...couple grand and they are making 600whp....
Old 03-25-2003, 10:44 AM
joeshow750

If bike dudes want to brag about how fast they are, they should talk about races with other bikes.
Well, I've never drag raced a bike before. I don't really consider drag racing on street sportbikes, much of racing. I mean, my grandma could pull 9's with a wheelie bar.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:03 PM
StoneSilverTrack350z

I don't really consider drag racing on street sportbikes, much of racing.
One of those... "dont knock it until you try it" type of things.

As far as bikes racing cars. I never go out looking to race a car when Im on my bike. I dont know any biker who does. What typically happens is some Fathat with a slammed C5, aviator sunglasses, and gold chains around his hairy neck, think Motorcycles that cost a fraction of the pound of flesh he paid for his cage, couldnt possibly keep up.

Bottom line, if your in a car, and you try to race a bike. I dont care what the bike is, or what car you have... 10 times out of ten you are going to loose.

Heck, a 3,500 dollar NightHawk 250 will give a Viper hell on a city street.

I remember one of the adds for the 96 gsxr was a quote stating how the never GSXR had the same acceleration rate as an f-18. Wonder if that was true.

~AJ
Old 03-25-2003, 06:41 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by StoneSilverTrack350z

I remember one of the adds for the 96 gsxr was a quote stating how the never GSXR had the same acceleration rate as an f-18. Wonder if that was true.

~AJ
The GSXR prolly went from 0-100mph as fast as an F/A-18 went from 500-600mph