Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Why do people say that cant beat an Camaro SS, but can beat a Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 05:31 AM
jester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2000 SS
No, SS's are not loaded standard. My SS has no leather and no traction control. I didn't want them. When they were still being sold new, you could of ordered an SS with no power windows, locks, no t-tops etc. The foglights are standard, as is the 3.23 gear with aluminum driveshaft. The 3.23 is an option in the Z28. The SS also has a fiberglass hood which is significantly lighter than the Z28's. If I remember correctly, there is a 35-40lb difference.

what he said....lol
Old 04-09-2003, 07:10 AM
hankd

Question

Originally posted by 2000 SS
No, SS's are not loaded standard. My SS has no leather and no traction control. I didn't want them. When they were still being sold new, you could of ordered an SS with no power windows, locks, no t-tops etc. The foglights are standard, as is the 3.23 gear with aluminum driveshaft. The 3.23 is an option in the Z28. The SS also has a fiberglass hood which is significantly lighter than the Z28's. If I remember correctly, there is a 35-40lb difference.
When I was looking at them (2002's) they were all fully loaded. Maybe I was given some bad info though

Even if they're not all fully loaded, most seem to be...much more-so than Z28's...
Old 04-09-2003, 09:47 AM
jester

Originally posted by hankd
When I was looking at them (2002's) they were all fully loaded. Maybe I was given some bad info though

Even if they're not all fully loaded, most seem to be...much more-so than Z28's...
Now 02 may be different...but when I was looking at 01 SSs, you could get them in just about any trim you wanted...
Old 04-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Caswell

SS's could be ordered with the 1SC (stripper) option, but very few if any are speced out by dealers that way. In fact, the handful of people I've run across that have 1SC SS's ordered them instead of trying to find one in dealer stock.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:41 AM
hankd

Lightbulb

I asked in the SS section at LS1.com...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...72#post2801072

so far there is conflicting info, but more people will chime in...
Old 04-09-2003, 01:00 PM
jester

I asked in the SS section at LS1.com...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...72#post2801072

so far there is conflicting info, but more people will chime in...
OK....I'll watch for the huge flame war on this over there now, since thats about all that I ever saw there...oh, and if you want ****, thats a good site too....lol
Old 04-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Caswell

Originally posted by jester
OK....I'll watch for the huge flame war on this over there now, since thats about all that I ever saw there...oh, and if you want ****, thats a good site too....lol
LS1.com is a good site to talk to fellow LS1 owners, but for serious info LS1tech.com is a much better choice. The main problem with LS1.com and learning about mods is that there's so much bias for and against certain products/brands.

The **** is good.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:33 PM
jester

Originally posted by Caswell
LS1.com is a good site to talk to fellow LS1 owners, but for serious info LS1tech.com is a much better choice. The main problem with LS1.com and learning about mods is that there's so much bias for and against certain products/brands.

The **** is good.
Actaully back in the day (like 3 years ago), I really enjoyed LS1.com...it was a good site...but it just got too "who knows who" and all for me....and if I want to look at ****, their are enough sites to check out for that....I'm here (or there) to talk about cars, ya know....but thats just me
Old 04-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Caswell

You want to talk about a who-know-who site, try SLP's boards (hoodscoop.com). So many good threads get highjacked by losers who "know" each other over the internet and need to "catch up" when they "run across" each other. Lame.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 PM
S8ER95Z

Everything said has been acurate Although like someone pointed out its hard to generalize the SS and Z28 owners. Thats like thinking everyone who owns a viper has a clue what they have. Some people have money.. no brains..just money.

For instance I ran acrossed a 99 SS Black..6speed BONE STOCK. The guy kept reving it up all over .. (SLP exhaust sounds good...but uh.. 3inch, No cat and series 80 flowmaster is just louder. ) Anyways..I get next to the guy and gave him a thumbs up and said nice car... then he starts tryin to inform me of his power output, etc.. Umm.. The guy gave me the rated hp numbers first off. I started to get the idea this guy was retarded. I then waited until the light changed and flashed my stall... leaving him to sit at the light and leave his nice black marks. Needless to say at the next light the guy wouldnt get next to me again. Sad really..

On the other side..I knew another guy with a 2001 SS who knew everything, had dyno numbers, 1/4 slips, his build #, etc.

Its the same for both models..just depends on who owns the car.

I would prefer that people had to pass somekind of test to own one. Then I wouldnt be sp dissapointed when I meet one of these tools driving them.

I guess all we can do as car enthusiest is try to pass the knowledge on.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:54 PM
sukkoi19

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
Everything said has been acurate Although like someone pointed out its hard to generalize the SS and Z28 owners. Thats like thinking everyone who owns a viper has a clue what they have. Some people have money.. no brains..just money.

For instance I ran acrossed a 99 SS Black..6speed BONE STOCK. The guy kept reving it up all over .. (SLP exhaust sounds good...but uh.. 3inch, No cat and series 80 flowmaster is just louder. ) Anyways..I get next to the guy and gave him a thumbs up and said nice car... then he starts tryin to inform me of his power output, etc.. Umm.. The guy gave me the rated hp numbers first off. I started to get the idea this guy was retarded. I then waited until the light changed and flashed my stall... leaving him to sit at the light and leave his nice black marks. Needless to say at the next light the guy wouldnt get next to me again. Sad really..

On the other side..I knew another guy with a 2001 SS who knew everything, had dyno numbers, 1/4 slips, his build #, etc.

Its the same for both models..just depends on who owns the car.

I would prefer that people had to pass somekind of test to own one. Then I wouldnt be sp dissapointed when I meet one of these tools driving them.

I guess all we can do as car enthusiest is try to pass the knowledge on.
Hmmm....a test what a novel idea. I think that should be a requirement for all sports/muscle car would be owners.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:33 AM
jester

Originally posted by Caswell
[B]You want to talk about a who-know-who site, try SLP's boards (hoodscoop.com)
Oh...I know, I used to hang out there too....lol
Old 04-10-2003, 10:22 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by jester
As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, "Relax... you are not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients, " but another kept reminding me, "Howard, you are a veterinarian."
BTW...Funniest damn thing ever! I quote that all the time... get a lot of groans... and laughs.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:49 AM
jester

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
BTW...Funniest damn thing ever! I quote that all the time... get a lot of groans... and laughs.

whats funny, is that is so me.....not that I'm getting it on with dogs and cats (really)...I just have that kind of twisted mentality...lol
Old 04-10-2003, 04:48 PM
brandboZ28

Yea, Ive always kinda wondered about you.

Bo
Old 04-11-2003, 01:40 PM
jester

Originally posted by brandboZ28
Yea, Ive always kinda wondered about you.

Bo
Old 04-11-2003, 03:20 PM
brandboZ28

Just kidding man, dont get mad! Sorry.