Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Neon SRT-4 Racing program. 9.01 quarter mile at 157mph!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Importlife.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon SRT-4 Racing program. 9.01 quarter mile at 157mph!!!

This isn't street legal obviously and is built for drag. But shows you the potential on these lil suckers.

I have a feeling the SRT-4 will be hitting the tracks by the masses this year. Great cars for the money. in stock form it runs 14.2 sec. @ 99.5 mph.

Forum where I saw this

Owners of the car

Last edited by Importlife.com; 04-07-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Rob Nance

I'd be willing to bet fistfulls of money that other than looking like a Neon, that's where it all stops. I seriously doubt it has the same motor, turbo, tranny, basically anything mechanical. I would be surprised if it had a stock frame even. So basically it's a ground up built drag racer with an ugly body, weeee.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:23 AM
bk_r0x

I think the SRT-4 is a supercharged pile of junk on wheels. It has no mufflers. When you hear it running, you're going to wonder exactly wtf they were thinking when they decided not to silence it a little bit.

Supercharged Dodge engine = dead before 50,000 miles, guaranteed.

Also, those times are VERY generous, and I know you pulled them from Car & Driver. The times they list for the SRT-4 say that it could beat the Z in the 0-60, and the 1/4 mile. Somehow, I doubt it.

Anyways, just my .02.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:51 AM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Originally posted by bk_r0x
I think the SRT-4 is a supercharged pile of junk on wheels. It has no mufflers. When you hear it running, you're going to wonder exactly wtf they were thinking when they decided not to silence it a little bit.
Actually... it's turbocharged... and yes, it's quick... but is it a Z? No.

When I was 18, and still a punk, I would have jumped at the SRT-4 in a second. Great bhp/$ value! IMO, much better than even the Z!

If I wanted a 1/4-mile beast I wouldn't have sold my Talon TSi for $15K and paid $35K for a Z... I would have put $20K into the Talon, and all Zs (and just about anything else stock) would have been left in my dust.

The Z is not a drag-racer, guys, and I'm sick of the 1/4-mile arm-chair racing. Buy a car cuz you like it, and leave the stoplight races to the pimply-faced Neon drivers.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:53 AM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Just realized something........ who am I argueing with in this thread?

Anger Management here I come!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Importlife.com

^ lol

I was never saying it was a Z. But i am a car enthusiast and owning a Z doesnt mean Z vs the world for me. I think the SRT 4 is another step away from SUVmania. and thank god! If I see another H2 i am going to need anger mgmt myself! We youngins are now in the midst of a manufacturer power war, much like the muscle car generation.

I wonder what this generation of sports cars will be put under. But it's fun. Lets keep these cars coming out.

Originally posted by RoadRagerInTherapy
Just realized something........ who am I argueing with in this thread?

Anger Management here I come!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:56 AM
EWOOD420

saw 2 @ sears point a couple weeks ago. One guy broke his clutch with only 400 miles on the car (dumbass).

the other guy had a set of slicks on and ran a couple 13.3's....

thats fast
Old 04-08-2003, 08:53 PM
AOC

Personally I am no fan of the neon...I dont care what you do to it, but that is where it ends. You still have to give the car credit for what it actually is, even though you may dislike it. A car for 20G that has the potential to run 13's out of the box...and VERY mod friendly....sounds like a winner to me.

Don't be surprised on the amount of kill stories regarding SRT-4's running around the net come summer. This neon is exactly what the 1st Gen DSM was mod wise...watch out racing one, you will be shocked as you see those nasty tail lights!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:58 AM
Rob Nance

I was referring to the original car, everyone got off on this tangent. Here is an example of why I think the fact those guys claim this is an SRT-4 is so silly.

2800lbs, 900hp
3000lbs, 1000hp

I seriously doubt it weighs less than 2800lbs, but there are some weights and HP to the wheels you would need, to run low 9 second quarter miles. This is just to give you an idea of how rediculous it is to claim this as a Neon, especially an SRT-4. It takes huge power gains to make small ET gains the lower you get.

Nevermind the fact that if by some freak of nature this was a modified SRT-4, it could not be developed to this point already.

And lastly, those front wheels, especially in comparrison to the rear wheels, makes me nauseous.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:00 AM
BigBadBuford

If this is the car that I remember seeing in Sport Compact Car it is surprisingly stock. I think it is neon drag car sponsored by Dodge (sorry if there are pics, I can't see them since I am on a lousy text browser!). The car I read about was a stripped down Neon weighing in around 2000 pounds or so. It was using a stock block and heads with a some massaging. What surprised me most was that it was running an automatic transmission using a variety of stock Dodge parts! When I get home I'll have to look up the story and if it is the same car I'll post the specs.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:55 PM
OCG35Coupe

Cars......................................SRT-4......................350Z

Weight................................2870LBS............... ....3180lbs

Horsepower to Wheels.......223 FWHP................244 RWHP

HP/Weight Ratio..................12.87.......................13.03

I got the 350Z's weight from webcarconnections car. He actually corner weighed it before he ran it i believe. And i got the SRT-4's weight and Wheel Horsepower from sportcompactcar. They actually weighed the SRT-4 and they also dynoed it. The SRT-4 is indeed underrated. It's more like 250 Horsepower to the flywheel instead of 215.

Anyway...The SRT-4 is still a NEON....(yes it is shutup)

And the 350Z is still a Z.....

Last edited by OCG35Coupe; 04-10-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Caswell

Originally posted by AOC
...watch out racing one, you will be shocked as you see those nasty tail lights!
At least they didn't bring back the "Expresso" badging for it
Old 04-20-2003, 08:19 PM
2Fishy4U

Around my parts the Neons are known as leakers. Seems like something always starts to leak after a few years and in many cases the leaks come from multiple locations. The bottom line is the Neon is a horrible car regardless of what size engine Chrysler decides to put in it.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:59 PM
AREITU

Dodge Neon SRT-4 Expresso Edition! I bet that's what they'll call it when they up the boost and make a few revisions to up the HP rating a few years down the line.

ihatebobbarker and I concluded that SRT4s look like Pikachus. Cute and yellow, can be mean, and a big yellow tail.