Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350Z bogging down at high revs???? hElp

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 12:57 PM
LanceAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z bogging down at high revs???? hElp

I am 45 yrs old but have always owned consevative family vehicles until two months ago. I am really enjoying my Touring 350Z but while opening it up today it bogged down during high revs in 1st, second, and third gears. I was actually being challenged by some kid in one of the quick VWs. My wife wonders if there is some sort of a rev limiter, or if the VDC system may have decided that I don't know how to drive. Is there something wrong?
Old 04-13-2003, 12:58 PM
JamRWS6

How high were you revving when it was "bogging" down?
Old 04-13-2003, 01:02 PM
LanceAA

Revs were close to reline prior to shifts.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:30 PM
JamRWS6

does it act like its boucing off of somthing and doesn't wanna rev higher....if so its probably the rev limiter.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Mrsideways

The torque curve drops like a stone after 5000 rpm. Just a characistic of the engine. Drive an older mustange (5.0 vintage) it should do a similar thing.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Runn

you was probably hitting the rev limiter
Old 04-13-2003, 03:51 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque curve drops like a stone after 5000 rpm. Just a characistic of the engine. Drive an older mustange (5.0 vintage) it should do a similar thing.
I wouldn't say the torque curve drops like a stone, but it definitely starts to go downhill a bit.

LancaAA: I'm 99% sure you were hitting the revlimiter.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Last WS6

There is a chance that your stock tack is lagging by a few hundred rpms. Try getting a small shift light. Helped me out alot.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:20 PM
deviousZ
Banned

Are you sure you turned of off the traction controll button??? I ran at the track and one run I did not turn it off and my car did the same thing it's shutting down the power when your tires start to slip.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:40 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's bogging just before you shift, then it's probably the rev limiter (I think it kicks in at 6750 which is very soon after redline).

If it's bogging just after you shift, then it's probably the traction control.

The Z is best when shifting as high as possible, but you definitely don't want to be hitting the rev limiter, since it will suddenly cut the fuel. It feels like you are stopping. You can try adjusting your shift light so you notice it right when you want to shift.

To me, it's easier to notice the blinking light than it is to notice the solid light. Since it blinks a few hundred RPM before going solid, you may want to set the rev limiter at 6800 or so, and then shift right when you notice the blinking.

I still haven't figured out how I like it best, so play around a bit and maybe you'll find a setting that works well. When you do, let me know what it is!!

-D'oh!
Old 04-13-2003, 10:27 PM
integrate

I'll say it's the traction control so watch out for the "slip" light that may blink on.

The TCS is very sensitive and comes on when there's the slightest slip. A couple times, TCS came on when I full throttled it in 3rd gear.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Inova

my guess is that u were hitting the rev limiter also.... i have hit it a couple of times when i didnt really pay attention to the tach.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:30 AM
LanceAA

Thanks guys. I think that I may have been gearing up a bit late. I used the term, rev limter, but wasn't sure if the Z even had one. I will give it another go and let you know if it happens again.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:03 AM
oroakl1

I had the same thing yesterday eve, I was in third, passing a car, too busy looking at the road ahead, and suddenly the car the power began to fade in and out. I assumed that I didnt notice I was in the redline and it was the rev limiter. Does it do any damage to the engine when you hit the limiter??
Old 04-30-2003, 05:12 AM
oroakl1

I had the same thing yesterday eve, I was in third, passing a car, too busy looking at the road ahead, and suddenly the car the power began to fade in and out. I assumed that I didnt notice I was in the redline and it was the rev limiter. Does it do any damage to the engine when you hit the limiter??
Old 04-30-2003, 05:15 AM
integrate

Originally posted by oroakl1
Nope.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:21 PM
state

Default VDC/TCS

Like many posters have said, you have to switch off VDC. I was surprised how sensitive it was. In fact 'scratching' 2nd gear will shut down the fun a lil bit. :-) But, I've never had a problem with VDC off. Shortly after having broken in my engine, a new BMW 745 was revving on me. I took off hard, but VDC kicked in just enough to cost me the win (would be a close race in any event). Also, Mr. S2K -- that 'drops like a stone' comment is funny. :-P I'll resist commenting on your engine though! BTW, likening our engine to an 'older' Mustang engine is fighting words (I like S2000's btw).