Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

WOW, rear end getting loose??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 03:55 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WOW, rear end getting loose??

wow, I had a kid in an integra behind me today at the light, he had all the mods you typically see. He looked pretty intense SO I thought I would take off. Well, it was at a turn signal, BUT it was a gradual curve and not many people on it. (left hander).

I turn my VDC off. I take off at the light (not even launching by revving), I get going a bit and the backend comes out and puts me at about a 70-80% angle. I then causually straighten myself out and get going, almost at the finish of the turn and I gun it, SAME result. I then correct and am drving straight and get out of there ( little embarrassed). I have never really driven the car hard on a curve with the VDC off.

NO rain, and I am running 275/19/35 TOYO T1S tires (pretty wide and sticky), I was impressed with the power, street is very clean (no dirt/dust all over the place).

I have taken an S2000 through that same corner when it was green and got a slight drift out of it, that was pretty fun, but man, the Torque in teh Z is nice.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:25 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car has a lot of torque as you found out and it doesn't matter what tires you have if you upset the balance of the car on a curve, if you did what I did one time and you shifted in the middle of the curve you sent the weight of the car to the front when you let out of first and when you shifted into second and gunned it you didn't have enough weight on the back and your rear came out.

I learned at the track events to do everything like braking and shifting in a straight line, not being condecending just giving some info in case, you might be Andretti for all I know but I have learned that any info is helpful.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:31 PM
350z4steve

Ditto same here only I was just testing out the LSD and it spun me out. Lots of torque going to both wheels now. guess VDC can be a good thing too. But whos complaining lots of raw power going to the backend now.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:32 PM
M Powered

Damn thats a lot of angles. Did you even try to correct when it started going sideways, or did you stay on the gas the entire time?

I dont think its normal with those tires you have on the back, check the differential, maybe something is malfunctioning?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:18 PM
droideka

Well, good thing you didn't wreck like everyone else who tells this story of going around a corner. Please attend a HPDE if you want to really learn how to drive and respect your Z. You know absolutely NOTHING about your car until you get it on track.

I just recently attended my first event and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had a lot to learn about my car. For instance, on a track you can steer the Z through turns with throttle input only. You just can't get that kind of experience on the street. It blew me away when my instructor insisted I do that and I actually pulled it off repeatedly every time, all the while learning how to save the rear-end from coming completely around with precise, steady inputs. Sliding and drifting on the street may be fun and look cool, but a driver who can consistently hit the same line, ease off the brakes and ease onto the throttle through corners is going to murder an ***-out drifter on the track every single time. It's experiences like that that can teach you what to do on the street when you get into trouble.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:13 PM
ELS1

Get some Nitto's are your problems will go away

i have 245/50/16 555R's and cant break my rear loose going WOT from a stop with 321RWTQ....unless im on gravel or asphalt
Old 05-08-2003, 09:22 PM
rodH

Originally posted by ELS1
Get some Nitto's are your problems will go away

i have 245/50/16 555R's and cant break my rear loose going WOT from a stop with 321RWTQ....unless im on gravel or asphalt
thats what I thought, until today, maybe you need more power j/k
Old 05-08-2003, 09:24 PM
rodH

Originally posted by westpak
This car has a lot of torque as you found out and it doesn't matter what tires you have if you upset the balance of the car on a curve, if you did what I did one time and you shifted in the middle of the curve you sent the weight of the car to the front when you let out of first and when you shifted into second and gunned it you didn't have enough weight on the back and your rear came out.

I learned at the track events to do everything like braking and shifting in a straight line, not being condecending just giving some info in case, you might be Andretti for all I know but I have learned that any info is helpful.
the thing that through me off guard is that out of ALL hte cars I have driven, this car seems most like my dads old M3 E36 (modded with DInan chip, exhaust, intake and headwork), BUT, I could NEVER get his car around that easy, it would step out, BUT not like this did.

I am normally a pretty good driver, but still learning the car.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:26 PM
rodH

Originally posted by M Powered
Damn thats a lot of angles. Did you even try to correct when it started going sideways, or did you stay on the gas the entire time?

I dont think its normal with those tires you have on the back, check the differential, maybe something is malfunctioning?
are you just assuming based on the Z power, of have you actually done the same thing in a Z with DIFFERENT results (this is a sincere question, not being a smart ***).

thanx

btw, your car rocks!!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:06 AM
joeshow750

I know you say you were "a little embarrassed" but I bet that Integra owner wishes his car could do that.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Rob Nance

Come ride with me Rod I am the master of smooth slides. I love stepping it out smooth and just gliding through a turn drifting, or coming onto a street and underturning, but overgassing it, so I finish the turn with the car sideways onto the street, weeeeeeeeeeeee! hah, if anyone around Austin sees a black sideways Z, it's probably me. I am gonna go through tires so fast, but damn it's fun.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:52 AM
Boomer

Default Re: WOW, rear end getting loose??

Originally posted by rodH
wow, I had a kid in an integra behind me today at the light, he had all the mods you typically see. He looked pretty intense SO I thought I would take off. Well, it was at a turn signal, BUT it was a gradual curve and not many people on it. (left hander).

I turn my VDC off. I take off at the light (not even launching by revving), I get going a bit and the backend comes out and puts me at about a 70-80% angle. I then causually straighten myself out and get going, almost at the finish of the turn and I gun it, SAME result. I then correct and am drving straight and get out of there ( little embarrassed). I have never really driven the car hard on a curve with the VDC off.

NO rain, and I am running 275/19/35 TOYO T1S tires (pretty wide and sticky), I was impressed with the power, street is very clean (no dirt/dust all over the place).

I have taken an S2000 through that same corner when it was green and got a slight drift out of it, that was pretty fun, but man, the Torque in teh Z is nice.
Rodh, the Z has way too much torque for the driving technique you just described. Fun, yes. Fast around the corner, no. Even though the road looked clear of dust or other debris, it probably wasn't, and you will step out evey time if you "gun" it in the middle of the turn.

The Z has the torque of a 60s small block V8 and you need to remember that when you are cornering. The way to go fast around a corner with a car like the Z is to carry speed into it. From a standing start, you can't use full throttle until you are exiting the corner, you'll be much faster and your rear end won't come around on you either. It is fun though, just don't end up in the weeds or on the wrong side of the center stripe.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:55 AM
rodH

Default Re: Re: WOW, rear end getting loose??

Originally posted by Boomer
Rodh, the Z has way too much torque for the driving technique you just described. Fun, yes. Fast around the corner, no. Even though the road looked clear of dust or other debris, it probably wasn't, and you will step out evey time if you "gun" it in the middle of the turn.

The Z has the torque of a 60s small block V8 and you need to remember that when you are cornering. The way to go fast around a corner with a car like the Z is to carry speed into it. From a standing start, you can't use full throttle until you are exiting the corner, you'll be much faster and your rear end won't come around on you either. It is fun though, just don't end up in the weeds or on the wrong side of the center stripe.
good point, I have a bunch of turnabouts in my neighborhood, and when I had an S2000 over a weekend, I was able to FLY around those with NO problems and NO risk, I haven't even turned off my VDC yet for those sections (had the car since feb) because I know the trouble it can get you into (the turnabouts have concrete curbs), whereas the S I had it for a weekend without traction control, no problems.

I am still getting use to it I guess, it steps out easier than my fathers old NSX even (probably b/c that car is mid engine has has less torque too?)
Old 05-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: WOW, rear end getting loose??

good point, I have a bunch of turnabouts in my neighborhood, and when I had an S2000 over a weekend, I was able to FLY around those with NO problems and NO risk, I haven't even turned off my VDC yet for those sections (had the car since feb) because I know the trouble it can get you into (the turnabouts have concrete curbs), whereas the S I had it for a weekend without traction control, no problems.

I am still getting use to it I guess, it steps out easier than my fathers old NSX even (probably b/c that car is mid engine has has less torque too?)
Less torque, yes, but it also has a rear weight bias. Less weight in the rear of the Z is food for more oversteer in curves, the NSX is not nearly prone to oversteer as the Z. Oversteer is fun, but it still isn't the fast way around a curve in a Z.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Anthony Mantovani

The torque of the Z is great, my friend has an S2K and he's getting sick of having to rev it to get it to go. I have an enthusiast chrome silver M/T, with 850 miles, I am learning more about the car each day. For those of you who live in Long Island, you have to go through the clovers off of Robert Moses Cswy. its a great setup of four turns, the Z handles awsome through those turns. Does anyone know of a good affordable high performance driving school? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:36 AM
M Powered

are you just assuming based on the Z power, of have you actually done the same thing in a Z with DIFFERENT results (this is a sincere question, not being a smart ***).

thanx

btw, your car rocks!!
I've driven a Z06 countless times and never once has the rear end managed to swing out that far. Usually if it swings out, I would catch it and let off a little, add a little steering correction and that would be the end of it.

And no I never got a 350Z to swing out, salesman was a *****.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:18 AM
rodH

Originally posted by M Powered

And no I never got a 350Z to swing out, salesman was a *****.