Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Fun with a Porsche Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:52 AM
nmilsaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fun with a Porsche Carrera

Last night I had a little fun with a Carrera on Westheimer in Houston. We had a couple of stoplights together. This was maybe an 02 model, black and nightime so i couldn't really get a good look. At the first light we took off easy, then he punched it so i punched it behind him. I was right on his tail up to the next light then i swung next to him. He rolled down his window and said "Great car", he also said he had mods to his car (ie. exhaust, headers, and supercharger?) so I was thinking wow, i have no chance, but we went at the light anyways...
I took off at the light and he stayed behind so that made me slow up then he finally went from second i guess and i went with him. we were neck and neck the whole way for about at 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the next light. we went again and he did the same thing at the start. do you think he was taking it easy? or having a bad start day? we were neck to neck again this time too. when we stopped again, I asked him if he was really pushing his car, he said he had it to the floooooor. Makes me think there wasn't a supercharger in there, or he just ddidn't know what he was talking about. Anyways, had a fun time, surprised me that my car can hold it's own up against a porsche.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:47 AM
ZEXC-33

ROFL that was a funny story....ahem fable

A supercharged 911, now ive heard em all. I dont want to alarm u but the fact he didnt gun it from the lights mite just indicate he wasnt really on it. If the Z cant outrun an M3 (those without blinders have accepted this) how could it possibly stay with a 911. Maybe that supercharger in the tiny rear engine bay was weighing the car down on launch

If u mentioned a Boxster (not an S) then id be more inclined to believe he was really racing u. Such just may inspire other members to conjure up stories of keeping up with a Turbo next.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:46 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by ZEXC-33
If u mentioned a Boxster (not an S)
You're a bit off there.

The Z can hold its own to a Boxster-S, the performance stats are closer than you think. It's quite a drivers race. A (non-S) boxter shouldn't even try as it would get crushed.

I don't think you have any right to call BS on him. The story was clearly not a fable.

Just because the other guy had a porsche doesn't mean the guy knows how to drive it. This is especially proven by the fact that he claimed he had a supercharger. Some shop probably scammed him out of a few hundred bucks for an intake for his porsche and called it a "supercharger."

You'd be suprised how many porsche drivers there are out there that don't even know what displacement means. I've seen it myself and heard them spew of all sorts of crap about their car when it was clear it's just jargon they heard on the golf course.

When will someone be able to post a story on here without all this negative remarks? Take it for what it is, he really has no reason to lie to a bunch of people he doesn't know. He didn't even say he beat the porsche. It's clear he was surprised that he even hung with it.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 AM
MaximumPwr

His story does not sound like BS to me either. The 350Z has often gone against and been compared to non-turbo 911's and the Boxster S in many magazines. That guy must not read Road & Track or Car & Driver or any of the other higher class magazines. Guess what car comes up on top almost everytime, the Z. The professional drivers and writers and editors for those magazines are all highly impressed by the Z's 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, and cornering. Not to mention a $30kish car is out doing a $50kish car. Now don't get me wrong; I love Porsches and would love to have one, but these magazines don't lie.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:18 AM
nmilsaps

well thanks zxsaint... I mean why would I lie to a bunch of people that i'm never gonna see in my life? anyways... when we were at the lights, we talked a bit.... he said nice car, blah blah blah, best bang for the buck, I would have gotten one but they came out right after he got his porsche. I asked him what all has he done to his car and he said alot, exhaust, headers, supercharger... when he said supercharger i was thinking hold up now (bringing up flashbacks of when i was toast with a Z06), then he said you gotta spend the money (for the mods)... so then the light turned green we went off and even though i'm sure we both weren't giving it our 110% (watching for cops and other cars) we both were head to head, i felt i could have given it more to pull ahead if i wasn't scared of the po-po's. but before we went our separate ways, I asked him if he was pushing his car and he said he had it to the floor and gave me a compliment on my quick car again.
I'm not saying he had a supercharger or not, just what the guy told me... is car didn't perform like it had one from what i saw and from what he said. and it was a carrera (the one's with the little automatic spoiler) not a boxterS.

believe it or not...
Old 06-06-2003, 11:12 AM
BlackDemon

Originally posted by MaximumPwr
His story does not sound like BS to me either. The 350Z has often gone against and been compared to non-turbo 911's and the Boxster S in many magazines. That guy must not read Road & Track or Car & Driver or any of the other higher class magazines. Guess what car comes up on top almost everytime, the Z. The professional drivers and writers and editors for those magazines are all highly impressed by the Z's 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, and cornering. Not to mention a $30kish car is out doing a $50kish car. Now don't get me wrong; I love Porsches and would love to have one, but these magazines don't lie.
Mag racing sucks
Old 06-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Fanman

Default Not Credible

Sorry a stock Z will not stay with a 911 anymore than it would an M3. If it had tiptronic (auto) then it might be different. Currently no manaufature makes a SC for the 02' and up 911. Only one does for the 99'-01' and that is $18K installed. TPC has one coming down the pipeline, but that makes in the 350+ whp area and the one prototype they had was running against the 911TT quite well. I have a 2001 911 Carrera 6 sp. with airbox mods, exhaust, and headers and I regularly pull quite a bit on the Z. Not hating but reality is the Z will not hang with the 02' 911 unless your a great driver and they suck...which could have happened. As for a SC 911 (of which almost none exist) he would eat you for breakfast like a 911 TT or Z06 would.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:21 PM
nmilsaps

fanman, i figured the same thing. I'd be smelling his exhaust with a SC... but i was next to him. maybe he couldn't drive or maybe he didn't know what he was talking about... but without a SC and minor mods (ie. header, ect), I always thought that a porsche would pull away from a Z. but i was happy to keep up, and he seemed shocked that i was keeping up.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:24 PM
djkern
Banned

Default Re: Not Credible

Originally posted by Fanman
Sorry a stock Z will not stay with a 911 anymore than it would an M3. If it had tiptronic (auto) then it might be different. Currently no manaufature makes a SC for the 02' and up 911. Only one does for the 99'-01' and that is $18K installed. TPC has one coming down the pipeline, but that makes in the 350+ whp area and the one prototype they had was running against the 911TT quite well. I have a 2001 911 Carrera 6 sp. with airbox mods, exhaust, and headers and I regularly pull quite a bit on the Z. Not hating but reality is the Z will not hang with the 02' 911 unless your a great driver and they suck...which could have happened. As for a SC 911 (of which almost none exist) he would eat you for breakfast like a 911 TT or Z06 would.
yet another one on this forum...don't you have your own? he wasn't bragging...he was just stating. but, you people come on this forum to **** and moan and say "bs" "you're wrong"...all that crap. don't you have a porsche forum to go back to??
Old 06-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Fanman

Default Re: Re: Not Credible

Originally posted by djkern
yet another one on this forum...don't you have your own? he wasn't bragging...he was just stating. but, you people come on this forum to **** and moan and say "bs" "you're wrong"...all that crap. don't you have a porsche forum to go back to??
What's wrong with being on other boards even if you don't have a Z ? I like speed for speed. I admire Japanese Cars, German Cars, American Cars, whatever. Actually I am very interested in teh Z as it might be a next car, or an everyday car for me. Just stating simple facts that a 911 is faster than Z, so what ? It's not like I called him dirty names or anything. For the same price a Viper could eat my lunch. Every car has their strength & weaknesses. In this case I just found it highly improbable that the 911 was SC'ed (see reasons above), and stated matter of factly that given equal circumstances the 911 is a bit faster. It not like I said the 911 would rape a Z (because that's not true).
Old 06-06-2003, 04:16 PM
djkern
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Not Credible

What's wrong with being on other boards even if you don't have a Z ? I like speed for speed. I admire Japanese Cars, German Cars, American Cars, whatever. Actually I am very interested in teh Z as it might be a next car, or an everyday car for me. Just stating simple facts that a 911 is faster than Z, so what ? It's not like I called him dirty names or anything. For the same price a Viper could eat my lunch. Every car has their strength & weaknesses. In this case I just found it highly improbable that the 911 was SC'ed (see reasons above), and stated matter of factly that given equal circumstances the 911 is a bit faster. It not like I said the 911 would rape a Z (because that's not true).
sorry for my comment. i just thought you were attacking him and trying to make your car look better than the rest. cause, i've had friends race 911's....and yes, the 911's have lost. yeah, could be a bad driver...could be many things. just don't jump to conclusions and say the porsche is faster. cause, both the boxter and the boxter s are slower....and yes, i've kept up with my friends 911. he was very suprised....shocked as a matter of fact. but, yes, a supercharged 911 (if they ever make one) would be faster. but, given what he said....i'm sure he's telling the truth. sorry man...my bad for the rude coment.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:51 PM
ZEXC-33

Originally posted by nmilsaps
I always thought that a porsche would pull away from a Z
Getting back to my original point, the reason he didnt pull away is because he wasnt really racing. If he had launched hard off the line then im positive the Porsche would have gotten away. U clearly said he took off easy, reaffirming my first post that maybe he wasnt really racing.

Oh and if u read again i was calling fable on a supercharged 911, not the fact that the 911 was actually there. Take a few deep breathes....

Last edited by ZEXC-33; 06-06-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:15 PM
ZEXC-33

Originally posted by zxsaint
You're a bit off there.

The Z can hold its own to a Boxster-S, the performance stats are closer than you think. It's quite a drivers race. A (non-S) boxter shouldn't even try as it would get crushed.
I agree the stock Boxster wouldnt stay with it, and so it shouldnt it has a smaller engine and alot less power. But the S i have to disagree. Every mag thats tested the Z, albeit US or Aus, have the Z running low 14s. The Boxster, like the M3, is a low-to-mid 13s car. Then add the Boxster's acclaimed pin sharp steering and chassis control and u can understand y id doubt the Boxster would stay with a Z over straights and turns if driven by similar skilled driver.

And about the price. Ur right, its alot of money for a small car. But u have to understand that Porsche only manufacture 3 models, unlike Nissan who have over 20. Nissan profits off this huge volume of cars. Porsche however, given they sell less cars, have to charge more per car to return all the R&D costs. Its simple maths, think about the group buy ideas on here, the more u buy the cheaper the manufacturer can offer the product to u. But thats just the general rule

With the Z in particular, the chassis is shared, the engine is shared, and even Nissan acknowledges the interior is as not being the best quality. Compare that to the Boxster which has a unique chassis, engine and better interior and u understand y Porsche needs to retrieve higher R&D costs per car.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:53 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROFL that was a funny story....ahem fable

A supercharged 911, now ive heard em all. I dont want to alarm u but the fact he didnt gun it from the lights mite just indicate he wasnt really on it. If the Z cant outrun an M3 (those without blinders have accepted this) how could it possibly stay with a 911. Maybe that supercharger in the tiny rear engine bay was weighing the car down on launch

If u mentioned a Boxster (not an S) then id be more inclined to believe he was really racing u. Such just may inspire other members to conjure up stories of keeping up with a Turbo next.
M3 is quicker 0-60 than a 911 (non-supercharged that is )
Old 06-06-2003, 10:01 PM
rodH

Default Re: Not Credible

I agree with MOST of what you are saying, I am a HUGE 911 fan, someday I will have one. BUT some mags have gotten times in the 5.4-5.5 range (BUT some get in the 5.0 range as well) with the pre-02 (296 hp) 911s.

I was "playing" with one the other day, he was behind me at a stop sign, I turned and he turned, taking the outside lane thinking he would get by me, he didn't have any luck. I think we were about even, I wouldn't have believed it unless I witnessed it myself, it was NOT a line um-up, christmas tree sraight out race, but I think I gained some respect for the Z. I have had a couple similar expereinces with 996s, but will spare the datails.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:10 PM
rodH

I agree the stock Boxster wouldnt stay with it, and so it shouldnt it has a smaller engine and alot less power. But the S i have to disagree. Every mag thats tested the Z, albeit US or Aus, have the Z running low 14s. The Boxster, like the M3, is a low-to-mid 13s car. Then add the Boxster's acclaimed pin sharp steering and chassis control and u can understand y id doubt the Boxster would stay with a Z over straights and turns if driven by similar skilled driver.
do more researech on the Z vs the Boxster S, they are VERY VERY similar performance cars, 0-60 in 5.4 range (actually the UK mag CAR got the Z to do a 5.5 to 62, which is more like a 5.33 to 60 tested in calif), 13.8-14.1, lateral Gs, brakes, etc.... Would I bet a large amount of $$ that a Z would BEAT a S around a track?? Hell NO, but I wouldn't bet the other way either-NO WAY, it is too close to call and ALL driver.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:11 PM
JamRWS6

I don't see a reason to call BS on this post.....I personally have walked away from a 996 so I really don't find it that hard to believe a Z could hang with one.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:48 AM
ZEXC-33

Originally posted by rodH
do more researech on the Z vs the Boxster S, they are VERY VERY similar performance cars, 0-60 in 5.4 range (actually the UK mag CAR got the Z to do a 5.5 to 62, which is more like a 5.33 to 60 tested in calif), 13.8-14.1, lateral Gs, brakes, etc.... Would I bet a large amount of $$ that a Z would BEAT a S around a track?? Hell NO, but I wouldn't bet the other way either-NO WAY, it is too close to call and ALL driver.
Sure 0-60mph is close call, but theres more to acceleration testing than just gunning to 60mph. Below 60mph its all a matter of traction and gearing. Above 60mph its about power and torque, thats y i compared the 1/4 mile times, since both cars have been on the ball a bit longer. And on the strip, the S will pull away from a Z.

I dont know much about the Z28, but ive seen a drag between it and the Z and up until around 50-60mph they were neck and neck, after that the Z28 pulled away. By ur logic ud say the Z28 has a similar 0-60 time, therefore comparable performance. But thats negating gearing, traction levels, etc.

Just a thought.....
Old 06-07-2003, 10:38 AM
rodH

since both cars have been on the ball a bit longer. And on the strip, the S will pull away from a Z.

what?????????????????????????????????????????????????you seem to contridict many of the 1/4 times out there, do you own a S with a time sheet that shows low 13s or something???

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say

Quick Reply: Fun with a Porsche Carrera