Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

nightmares at e-town

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 10:03 AM
PhiTauZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation nightmares at e-town

went to e-town last night to give it a few runs. 1st run i ran it NA with a horrible traction limited 60ft. and a 14.2@99. Second run i decided i would spray it and see what i could do. even less traction, but here is where the nightmare comes in. spun all the way through first then spun all the way through second (not suprised) spun a little in third as i was watching the tach attentively so i didn't bump the limiter while spraying, she would rev up to 6K then bog down to 5K then run up to 6K then bog down to 5K before finally running all the way up to redline and shifting to 4th. 14.4@106. that run had me scratching my head. As i pull up to the timing booth i get a wiff of the distinct smell of burning oil with a slight hint of a sulfurish smell (i can see the sulfurish smell coming from the n2o). ::uh oh, theres goes a piston ring:: i'm thinking, but no smoke, no rough idle, didn't burn up a plug, no fluid leaking, oil pressure is still there. don't know what the deal was. 3rd run decided to run it NA again cause the way it acted on squeeze had me a little spoofed. so i run it down with another 14.2@99. all the power is still there, but the smell of burning oil is there again also. cannot figure it out. on the way home i stop at a mcdonalds and as i'm looking out of the back window to backup i notice liquid all over the rear strut brace. hrmmmmmm
so i grab the flashlight, get out of the car, do the ole rub my finger on it and sniff it. it seemed to have the consistency of oil, but didn't have the smell of oil. upon closer inspection is look at my liquid filled nitrous pressure gauge on the front of my bottle. Now i know that thing was filled when i got to the race track! apparently the gauge ruptured spewing a quarter of the gauge oil on the interior of the car, a quarter of it down into the nitrous line and leaving a quarter into the gauge. Now things started to come together. I can only infer that when the gauge ruptured in 3rd gear the oil entered the nitrous line, inhibiting the flow of nitrous to the fogger nozzle and created a condition where the system was dumping fuel without the corresponding nitrous in essence, bogging my car down, ie: making it run to 6K drop to 5K run to 6K drop to 5K until it finally cleared out. Now i believe that some of this gauge oil must have made its way into the intake manifold and that is the oil burning that i was smelling. (the scent was coming directly from the intake manifold and the throttle body. Has anyone in history ever had this happen to them and what are the effects of this on your engine! NOS will be getting a call from me in the next few days, i doubt their gauges were designed to combust.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Zaphod 350z

who built the bottle? typically NOS does not ship bottles with the gauge installed. The retailer usually installs them. I've seen some idiots putting them together without using teflon tape or starting the thread canted.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 AM
PhiTauZ

the gauge was put on the bottle by a race shop, a reputable one at that.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 PM
John2001gt

A little oil run through the engine shouldn't hurt anything. Extra fuel being dumped without the nitrous should be fine too since you didn't run it much. The only danger with too much fuel is washing out the rings but you ran so little of it I wouldn't worry at all. I'd just check a couple of the plugs and make sure they aren't all gunked up and if they look fine, keep on motoring And trade that NOS system for a ZEX or NX kit