Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

all this 1/4mile talk..wtf are ur 0-60times?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 08:00 PM
3fitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all this 1/4mile talk..wtf are ur 0-60times?

im not exactly a racer...as a matter of fact i dont know what 1/4mile times "feel" like. but i do know what 0-60 times are like.

do any of u know what kind of increase u r getting over stock 0-60 times with ur mods?

only reason i ask is cause i am considering trading in the jeep grand lmt. for a Z and im curious...thankies!!
Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prepare to be toast...........
Old 06-29-2003, 08:30 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: all this 1/4mile talk..wtf are ur 0-60times?

Originally posted by 3fitty
im not exactly a racer...as a matter of fact i dont know what 1/4mile times "feel" like. but i do know what 0-60 times are like.

do any of u know what kind of increase u r getting over stock 0-60 times with ur mods?

only reason i ask is cause i am considering trading in the jeep grand lmt. for a Z and im curious...thankies!!
Jeeps with those mad V8s slaughter us in 0 - 60... god I can't hang. I'd stick with your truck, and forget our Zs...

Damn weak V6s.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:21 PM
JamRWS6

0-60 is mostly a function of traction.....
0-60 is a ricer stat IMO....real racers talk 60 ft. 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile ET as well as the most important.....trap speed.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:15 AM
D'oh

I kinda know how you feel. When I first got my car, I had no idea what a "fast" or "good" 1/4 mile time was. I was so used to seeing 0-60 times, that it was difficult to get a feel for how a 1/4 mile time compared.

So, here are some general numbers for you:

The Z's 0-60 times are in the mid 5 second range and the 1/4 mile times are around the 14.0 range (for a decent driver).

The camaro/firebird/vette are around the mid to upper 4 second for 0-60 and around a 13.0 for 1/4 mile. This is quite a bit faster.

I'm not sure what the Jeep's times are, but I would be surprised if it was less than 7.5 for a 0-60 and 15 for a 1/4 mile.

Anyhow, in the "general" car world, I'd say anything under 8 seconds 0-60 and 15 in the 1/4 would be considered "quick". My dad used to drive an Acura Legend (210 HP) and that thing was around 8 seconds to 60. Back when I was in high school it felt pretty fast. My standards might be a bit low since the Z is my first sports car (I'm coming from pickups), but I'd say it is definitely fast enough for most street situations that require full throttle - such as cutting into the carpool lane from a dead stop.

-D'oh!
Old 06-30-2003, 02:52 AM
GaryK

Default Re: Re: all this 1/4mile talk..wtf are ur 0-60times?

Originally posted by JamRWS6
0-60 is mostly a function of traction.....
0-60 is a ricer stat IMO....real racers talk 60 ft. 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile ET as well as the most important.....trap speed.
Uhhh, no. ET and trap speed is ricer stuff. Real racers talk lap times!

Just kidding...
Old 06-30-2003, 05:31 AM
3fitty

thanks D'oh

so i guess im a ricer if i care about what kind of increase in performance i would get from said mods in a way i would understand?

thats pretty dumb. i might not be versed in mechanics, i might not have ever done anything more than change a radiator out of a car. but just because i dont follow the same guide lines and most doesnt mean some of u should talk down to me. makes a great name for your community.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:30 AM
EmpiricalGMan

I don't think he meant that you were a ricer, just that someone who would rely on 0-60 mph times to determine the speed of his car doesn't fully understand the dynamics involved. As you yourself said, the reason you asked for 0-60 times is because you're not familiar enough with quarter mile times to put them in context. We need to come up with another term to use than "ricer." This is more of an amateur vs. experienced racer type of thing. There's no shame in being an amateur. I consider myself an amateur.

Anyway, 0-60 times give you a ballpark figure, but definitely don't do something dumb like concluding that a car with a reported 5.5 time is faster than a car with a reported 5.7. There are far too many variables that can impact performance over that short a time and distance, especially for a FR car starting at 0 mph. There are also certain cars like the S2000 that list 0-60 times which you could only reach by dumping the clutch at ridiculous rpms that would quickly break the car if done daily. In any event, I'd want at least a 0.5 second difference before I called one car faster than another based on 0-60 times.

We must also never forget that there's alot more to being fast than straight line acceleration.

That said, are the 13.0 times quoted for firebirds and camaros for top of the line cars or exceptional drivers? I've taken my G35 to the dragstrip 3 times and never seen a Camaro do better than 13.7. I lined up against a Formula 350 that barely cleared 15.2. Mind you, I know as much about GM cars as I do about Peugeots, but I would be very surprised if a stock Camaro is faster than mid-13s. I haven't seen enough Firebirds. Corvettes, yeah, those will do 13.0. I think I saw one do 12 something.

Anyway, no way a typical Jeep hits 15.0. I'd wager it's in 17s on its best day, probably 18s. More car lengths behind than you could easily count.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:03 AM
sukkoi19

Originally posted by EmpiricalGMan
I don't think he meant that you were a ricer, just that someone who would rely on 0-60 mph times to determine the speed of his car doesn't fully understand the dynamics involved. As you yourself said, the reason you asked for 0-60 times is because you're not familiar enough with quarter mile times to put them in context. We need to come up with another term to use than "ricer." This is more of an amateur vs. experienced racer type of thing. There's no shame in being an amateur. I consider myself an amateur.

Anyway, 0-60 times give you a ballpark figure, but definitely don't do something dumb like concluding that a car with a reported 5.5 time is faster than a car with a reported 5.7. There are far too many variables that can impact performance over that short a time and distance, especially for a FR car starting at 0 mph. There are also certain cars like the S2000 that list 0-60 times which you could only reach by dumping the clutch at ridiculous rpms that would quickly break the car if done daily. In any event, I'd want at least a 0.5 second difference before I called one car faster than another based on 0-60 times.

We must also never forget that there's alot more to being fast than straight line acceleration.

That said, are the 13.0 times quoted for firebirds and camaros for top of the line cars or exceptional drivers? I've taken my G35 to the dragstrip 3 times and never seen a Camaro do better than 13.7. I lined up against a Formula 350 that barely cleared 15.2. Mind you, I know as much about GM cars as I do about Peugeots, but I would be very surprised if a stock Camaro is faster than mid-13s. I haven't seen enough Firebirds. Corvettes, yeah, those will do 13.0. I think I saw one do 12 something.

Anyway, no way a typical Jeep hits 15.0. I'd wager it's in 17s on its best day, probably 18s. More car lengths behind than you could easily count.
The 13.0 is for 98-02 Cam/birds. They would have to have a good driver in order to achieve those times, I know it took me a couple passes to get it down.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:07 AM
silverTA 2002

Originally posted by EmpiricalGMan

13.0 is with the BEST driver in the BEST conditions (i.e. really cold, sea level, low humidity, and great traction). It's definitely not the normal run you'll see on a regular track night, especially in the summer.

Mid to high 13's are what you'll see with the average driver on the average night in an average run.

The Grand Cherokee limited 5.9 is the only one that'll do a 15.0 in the 1/4 mile. The 4.7 GC is good for mid 15's, and the 5.2 GC is good for high 15's.

You're right about 0-60 times though. They aren't the best measurement of acceleration, but they give you an idea.

An example.

My car (trans am)
Mustang GT
350Z
WRX
S2000

all have mid 5 second 0-60 times. But, when you drive them, there is a large difference in acceleration past 60, and how fast they "feel." The T/A being the fastest of the group, and the WRX being the slowest.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:20 PM
StockLT1

http://www.teamnabr.com/modules.php?...showpage&pid=8

This isn't 100% accurate, but you can get a ballpark figure from it. 0-60 doesn't really matter to anybody who cares about drag racing. 60' and 330' times tell you more about how a car is coming out of the hole than 0-60 times, and much more accurately than a calculator like the one I posted or a G-tech.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Y2KLS1Camaro

The only "0-60" that truly is matters is 0-60 feet.

Keep those Zero to 60 MPH times in Motor Trash magazine where they belong!

Mike D.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

I recorded a 5.11 0-60 on my run where I got a 2.047 60'