Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Grounding kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:13 AM
mball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding kits

Are grounding kits legal in stock class? Has anyone been able to tell a difference after installing one? Is this one of the Zs major weaknesses?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:59 AM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding Kit

From reading the rule book they appear to be legal.

I have one on mine and no one has ever even asked what it is. As far as performance difference -- I have never noticed anything - maybe slightly better idle. Th Z does not appear to have any weakness in this area.

Remember also that grounding kits serve another long term purpose. After a few years of exposure to heat, cold, rain, etc wires corrode and engine grounds can start to loose some of their effectiveness. Having an engine / chassis ground kit will assure you always have very good grounding. Peace of mind expecially if you run boost where the electronics cannot fail or you engine blows up!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:33 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly about these kits is legal? Normal autocross rules are "if it doesn't say you can do it, it's illegal" so I am not sure how grounding kits would be legal, based upon that understanding? I may be wrong, I am just not quite sure?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:21 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Grounding Kit

Originally posted by jelledge
Having an engine / chassis ground kit will assure you always have very good grounding. Peace of mind expecially if you run boost where the electronics cannot fail or you engine blows up!
You're not kidding. Been there and done that with an MR2 Turbo, although my problem was with a faulty power lead rather than a ground. Same end result though - blown motor.