Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 05:46 PM
Jason333
hi
Premier Member

Oh man that SUCKS. I had that sinking feeling when i blew my ac line. Of course I had no idea wtf it was. I am glad to see you guys make it home in one piece. I remember telling Chris around 6 that you guys should be home. We were wrong . Keep us posted on how this goes. The car looks absolutely ridiculous. One of the nicest at Zdayz for sure.

Also, end links were on the kitchen table when i got home
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments

Yeah even if it went to schedule we were looking at being home around 8 or so....that would have been awesome lol.

Glad the links arrived - Happy birthday!
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:27 PM
gothchick

So sorry to hear this Adam. Hopefully it'll be easy to fix. Good luck with a speedy recovery.

Last edited by gothchick; 05-19-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

thanks Erin
Old 05-19-2008 | 07:52 PM
chris'smax

damn adam that is rough!

Hope everything gets worked out as i am sure it will. I guess its a good thing you didn't listen to me and kwame when we were trying to get you to take it on the dragon again.

It was awesome meeting you guys and hanging out w/ the guys that take all my money . Looking forward to hanging out again soon
Old 05-19-2008 | 08:11 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by chris'smax
damn adam that is rough!

Hope everything gets worked out as i am sure it will. I guess its a good thing you didn't listen to me and kwame when we were trying to get you to take it on the dragon again.

It was awesome meeting you guys and hanging out w/ the guys that take all my money . Looking forward to hanging out again soon
Werd... I'll have to hit Adam up when I get some money. I sent Jason's wife to the Z1 site to get his endlinks

Very good thing Adam didn't drive with us although we really tried.

Adam, you said you think its one of the cam or crank sensors out? I had to replace one of mine about two months ago
Old 05-19-2008 | 08:18 PM
diwun67

Limping home FTMFL
Old 05-20-2008 | 12:21 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat
Premier Member

Sorry to read about your trouble at ZdayZ, Adam. Hopefully you'll get her fixed up and running better than ever soon...

Thanks for posting about it. Looks like we'll all learn something.
Old 05-20-2008 | 12:29 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

well today we had at least a glimmer of hope

Went to the dealership early this AM and picked up 2 new cam sensors and the new crank sensor. Installed em outside Kwame's house (we had left the car there the other night) and at least it started. Stupid me forgot to bring the laptop though so the codes were still stored! I limped it back to one of our tech's houses, since he is off today, and the car is now there in his driveway. I will probably swing there tonight or tomorrow, clear the codes and see if its all better. I also think I finally found the source of the oil leak!
Old 05-20-2008 | 12:42 PM
RedBullRR

Dam, sorry to hear dude. Your Z happens to be one of my favorites. Hope it all works out for you soon.
Old 05-20-2008 | 01:17 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Damn Adam goodluck getting it back to shape. Sucks it happen so far from home

Goodluck again

Chris
Old 05-20-2008 | 01:47 PM
rednezz

Z1 Performance, your symptoms sound almoust identical to the way my car performed with a bad crank sensor. It would kinda of hiccup at a certain rpm range and then it just got worse. Finally I couldn't start my car. Only thing is my car never threw any codes until it finally stalled on me. I wonder if my tune is any good since it was tuned with a bad crank sensor? I did notice a drastic increase in power after fixing the sensor.
Old 05-20-2008 | 01:59 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
well today we had at least a glimmer of hope

Went to the dealership early this AM and picked up 2 new cam sensors and the new crank sensor. Installed em outside Kwame's house (we had left the car there the other night) and at least it started. Stupid me forgot to bring the laptop though so the codes were still stored! I limped it back to one of our tech's houses, since he is off today, and the car is now there in his driveway. I will probably swing there tonight or tomorrow, clear the codes and see if its all better. I also think I finally found the source of the oil leak!
Good news. You should just mash the pedal a few times and reset it
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blasian
Werd... I'll have to hit Adam up when I get some money. I sent Jason's wife to the Z1 site to get his endlinks

Very good thing Adam didn't drive with us although we really tried.

Adam, you said you think its one of the cam or crank sensors out? I had to replace one of mine about two months ago
it started off with just giving me the VTC solenoid code - driver side, then passenger (passenger only once in a while). Then the cam sensor codes started. I don't think there is a code for the crank sensor itself though, but I'm not an expert in OBD2 codes anyway lol. I replaced both cam sensors and the crank sensor today and at least it started. But the codes are still stored and TCS/Slip lights are on. Tomorrow I will remember to bring the laptop so I can at least clear them and see how it goes from there

Rednezz - sounds like the same thing, and I know from searching, we're not the only ones. Richie (Australia) had the same thing, as did several others. Not sure if its a model year thing or not, but at least the sensors are simple to change and nothing has to be taken apart to get to them. The weird thing is that I don't always get a CEL for it either. But when you plug the cipher in, there it is, stored. There were a few times where the CEL popped on, but we would clear it out, and the dash light would remain on, despite the code coming back in the cipher - oh well. I certainly didn't need the CEL to tell me something wasn't kosher lolol.

All in all, I am sure its nothing earth shattering...just annoying

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-20-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:15 PM
blasian

it started off with just giving me the VTC solenoid code - driver side, then passenger (passenger only once in a while). Then the cam sensor codes started. I don't think there is a code for the crank sensor itself though, but I'm not an expert in OBD2 codes anyway lol. I replaced both cam sensors and the crank sensor today and at least it started. But the codes are still stored and TCS/Slip lights are on. Tomorrow I will remember to bring the laptop so I can at least clear them and see how it goes from there
Ahhh yes, those damn lights

Same thing happened to me dude. The funny part is a friend of mine is a mech. at Nissan and he had just told me about the crank/cam position sensors going bad because we looked at the TSB. The very next day mine went out

Is the oil leak indeed coming from the VTC solenoid?
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:18 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blasian
Ahhh yes, those damn lights

Same thing happened to me dude. The funny part is a friend of mine is a mech. at Nissan and he had just told me about the crank/cam position sensors going bad because we looked at the TSB. The very next day mine went out

Is the oil leak indeed coming from the VTC solenoid?
no, not the solenoid actually - I am about 95% sure its coming from the cam gear "cover" on the front of the motor. At least its simple to access and check.
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:20 PM
blasian

no, not the solenoid actually - I am about 95% sure its coming from the cam gear "cover" on the front of the motor. At least its simple to access and check.
Ah yes, I remember where you showed us. I hope to see your Z (maybe Kwame's Z?) on the dragon next year... I want a ride
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:34 PM
rednezz

Rednezz - sounds like the same thing, and I know from searching, we're not the only ones. Richie (Australia) had the same thing, as did several others. Not sure if its a model year thing or not, but at least the sensors are simple to change and nothing has to be taken apart to get to them. The weird thing is that I don't always get a CEL for it either. But when you plug the cipher in, there it is, stored. There were a few times where the CEL popped on, but we would clear it out, and the dash light would remain on, despite the code coming back in the cipher - oh well. I certainly didn't need the CEL to tell me something wasn't kosher lolol.
Your car throwing the CEL sounds just like my car. When it did finally throw the CEL it cleared itself but was still in the memory. It would come back on later and then turn off. Very strange. With a new crank sensor it never threw a CEL again.

As far as your oil leak...sounds like you have a leak same place as my car. My car leaked from the top of the valve cover on the driver side also. It was coming from where the valve cover and the cam gears meet. I had to reseal it with not only a new valve cover gasket but with liquid silicone on the front there to stop the leak. Not sure if its the same spot but you may want to give that a shot since its not difficult to do.
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:36 PM
Zmazing03

Good to hear it isn't so serious...hopefully get it up and running strong ASAP!
Old 05-20-2008 | 04:38 PM
Kwame

Tail of the Dragon - 1
Touge Monster - 0

We will be back for a rematch at Zdayz 2009. Next year we'll beat the crap out of both of the cars.

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)