Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

310 RWHP with stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
copec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I can't see why/how you are out of injector - what fuel pump are you running? I know the ~ CR that you get with those heads with std pistons, and that shouldnt put you out of range of the stock injector/pump.

If you're allowed to run full MAP, and get rid of the MAF, you might gain a bit of headroom on the injectors as well

He's probably using VQ30 stock injectors is what I'm thinking
Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

This is joking right?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
nismo240r

Originally Posted by LILjiMMYj0NES
VQ30 heads fit the VQ35 motor? WOW!!
Im gonna try to put a 2JZ head on each side of mine.Mad flow yo!

not sure if you're sarcastic or serious about your question with the vq30 heads fitting the vq35de. . .

the nismo heads are the casts of the vq30 heads with the intake port design from the vq35de. . .

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/c...ne/vq35de.html
Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by mchris
I bougt JWT blanks and had WEB cam cut them. I do not remember the profile # but it was a 278 degree @ .050" with .470" lift.
With the Nismo titanium valves, thats all the lift you can run because of the step in the valve stem. I run the cams on 102 lobe centers. This was originally on my vq30 block. I just swapped it all over to vq35 block. With the comparibly gentle ramps of these cams compared to stock, the JWT valve spring is all you need to run to 8k rpm. Those stock cams slam the valve open and closed. I probably should have dialed some of the overlap out of it for the restricted motor. The drop in HP at 7.5k rpm is probably due to the 37mm SIR. Chris
Interesting. I would have suspected that your new cams would have much higher, faster ramp rates that the OEM cams. Maybe that's just my drag racing roots showing. Your Z doesn't appear to be a drag racer... maybe gentler ramps are in order for a road racer.

I'm not familiar with the acronym SIR. What does SIR stand for?

Thanks a lot for all the information on your motor. It's obvious that you have a few tricks that none of us have heard before. The VQ30 heads is a slick concept.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 AM
mchris

SIR stands for single inlet restrictor. The SCCA uses them to cap HP to equilize classes. And using the vq30 heads is because of easy compression and the larger 35mm lifter bucket. It allows for a larger base circle on the cam. You should look at the stock cams. The ramp is almost flat. So you go from no lift to max lift in very quickly. And then it slams closed almost as quickly. Look at the length of time a long duration cam has to lift the valve open. The valve spring at 7k rpm is working much less to control the valve. Add to that a titanium valve and a lightwieght lifter, and you can see why very little valve spring is needed. So all you guys with the heavy valve spring are just losing HP.
Chris
Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mchris
SIR stands for single inlet restrictor. The SCCA uses them to cap HP to equilize classes. And using the vq30 heads is because of easy compression and the larger 35mm lifter bucket. It allows for a larger base circle on the cam. You should look at the stock cams. The ramp is almost flat. So you go from no lift to max lift in very quickly. And then it slams closed almost as quickly. Look at the length of time a long duration cam has to lift the valve open. The valve spring at 7k rpm is working much less to control the valve. Add to that a titanium valve and a lightwieght lifter, and you can see why very little valve spring is needed. So all you guys with the heavy valve spring are just losing HP.
Chris
Sort of but it's not all or nothing. There are significant advantages that a steep ramp rate can provide, and it all depends on what the engine is being built for. As far as the springs are concerned, the rpm range coupled with the cam profile itself are what will dictate the proper spring choice is. I have stock valves, stock lifters and cams with a pretty aggressive ramp, and spin the engine alot more than you are, and yet I too don't have to use a very stiff spring (NISMO..which are mild compared to some of the other offerings out there). It's all a balancing act.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proof of stiffer valve springs causing significant HP losses please.

All a stiffer valve spring will do is cause more friction between the lobe and bucket in a bucket tappet system (still nothing compared to the frictional losses caused by the piston rings). There are no other losses involved. I'll take that extra bit of friction and over-rev protection over even the mere possibility of valve bounce, thanks.

Last edited by nismology1; 09-08-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 AM
nismology1

Originally Posted by Andrei
He might have HP but not torque so what does it matter. Torque is what wins a race.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Winning is winning..
Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 PM
RBlover69

He might have HP but not torque so what does it matter. Torque is what wins a race.
not true long straights HP is teh win bud. But its a love hate relationship. You cannot really enjoy one without the other my 2cents. lol But on a highway race or top end race. Tq will not guarantee a win at all , you actaully just look good in the beginning of a race until the higher HP car without alot of tq passes you really bad. Every race a turbo diesel with insane tq and not much hp lol. Granted weight is factor but you will eventually pass him. (note beware of turbo diesels biggest sleepers of all time) lol

Last edited by RBlover69; 09-14-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no theory to be proven wrong - both hp and torque are important considerations when overall engine performance is concerned. Neither one on it's own is a guarantee of superior performance. Gearing, weight and rpm range play just as important of a role as horsepower and torque do, and in some circles, these things are even more important. Gauging performance without considering all these other factors is interweb racing at it's finest - and is meaningless
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
RBlover69

^I've seen plenty of FIed F bodies beat high HP Supras to prove that theory wrong. That's why I like a stroked VQ.
okay on a top speed run for meaningless talk, ...a high tq car cannot out pace a higher HP car given same gearing car etc. It just doesnt make sense . LOL think about it with the laws of physics lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HP is all that matters, gearing can make up for lack of torque.

I would be interested to compare the Nismo Spec-2 ported VQ30 head to the cosworth heads. Cosworth has less CC and less compression, however larger valves.

Looking at the rough graphs on Nismo's site and Cosworth's site it looks like the cosworth heads flow more, but so hard to compare two different flow charts to one another.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Sparks03Max

Someone needs to read this...

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

and remember, HP is derived from torque, you can't have one without the other.

-------------Torque * RPM

Horsepower =------------

---------Horsepower * 5252

Torque = -----------------

---------------- RPM

Last edited by Sparks03Max; 11-30-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Did you make it to the dragstrip to see what 310 horsepower will do?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Swimminggerman

wow, nice but i still like cruising around in mine. good info though