Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Track/Time Attack Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
FaddaWayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA Track/Time Attack Build

Ok gents, before the flame comes on I'm just writing for additional supportive commentary on my build up, I've done extensive research on the forum and still feel the need for additional info so I write to you humbly asking your indulgence on my questions, feel free to point me to any topics that cover what I’m about to ask if needs be.

I'm building a 2004 Track 350Z for Track/Time Attack duties in NA form. I have the following parts either on the car or ready to install.

Headers - Brushed Stainless - DC Sports
APS True Dual 2.5" Exhaust Cat Back
APS Cat-Delete Dual 2.5” Race Pipes,
NISSAN 4.083 Ring And Pinion
Nismo Finned Differential Cover,
Exedy Hypercarbon Single Clutch package,
Quaiffe ATB Helical Differential,
JWT Camshafts NISSAN 350Z 2003-2006 ; Non-REVUP, S1 Billet. Lift in Adv +2Lash Cold VQ35DE .428" / 260 .010-.013,
APS Tall-Boy Balanced Distribution Inlet Plenum
Group-M Intake
Unorthodox Racing Pulley Kit
NISMO Radiator Cap
NISMO Thermostat
Koyo Aluminum Radiator
UTR Carbon Fiber Radiator Shroud
Samco Radiator Hose Kit
APS High Volume Oil Pan
Stillen Engine Damper
Stillen Brake Master Cylinder Brace
Stop Tech - Stage 2 Brake Upgrade BREMBO
Stop Tech Rotor Stage 2 Drilled
Axis Ultimate Pads
Stop Tech Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines
Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
Megan Racing 3Pc Engine - Mount Kit
Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars
Carbing catch can
Tein Mono Flex Coilovers
Tein EDFC Controller
Tein Tie Rods Upper & Lower
Technosquare ECU Programming
Volk RE30 18x9.5F, 18x10.5R
Toyo R888 255/35-18 Front 275/35-18 Rear
Nismo v2 Kit
Seibon Carbon Hood, Seats, Fenders F&R, Hatch, Doors, Door Panels, Roof
APR GTC-300 Wing
Personal Steering wheel & Bell Hub

When I started the project I was heading to the APS TT kit but realized any FI package would place me into very uncompetitive divisions in the areas that I race in, so NA was born. In addition to the mods above I’m looking at the MREV2 and the 1/2” Spacer along with the coolant bypass adapter and upgraded fans.

For the time being my goal is 260-280whp with the above and I am on the road to a full long block 3.8L with a mid 300’s goal for the 2010 track season. The reason for my post now is to gather your expertise to see if either I have taken a wrong turn or could make a few minor changes and get a much better initial NA build. For example I have not sent the ECU as yet to Technosquare and am considering UTEC or similar to start with. At the end of the day I want a fast reving, smooth power band with noticeable increases from stock.

You will notice I’ve also gone on a weight loss mission; my goal here is a 300-400lb reduction on the stock car without gutting the crap out of it yet as it will still be the daily driver through 2009. If all goes well this year I will go full race for next season with the addition of a cage, gutting, likely the 3.8L NA monster.

Thanks for getting through my post, sorry for the length and thanks in avance for your forthcoming wisdom.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the build. I am in the middle of one as well, except that I am building the motor now. Id go with a utec or something similar for EMS. My thread is a few down from this one.

Also about the stoptech stage 2 drilled...bad idea. I dont know if you have any track experience but YOU WILL crack these rotors in a heartbeat. Id go with a set of used brembos if possible. Also, those pads wont cut it on the track. If you are new to the road course, take the car stock before you start modding it. I have been tracking my Z for over 2 years now. I havent made any changes to my setup for the last 12 months yet my track times keep getting better. Its all about the seat time.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 02-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

its goin to be hard to loose that much weight and have a good cage. when we pulled it all out were about 450lbs lighter then gained it all back when we installed the cage per NASA rules. id go with wider tires if you can by your rule book that would easily be 275 front and 295 rear. also id get a big oil cooler and a Accusump if you can swing the cash. just my .02 ill see if i can think of anything else. GL
Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 PM
FaddaWayne

Thanks for the speedy replies, I used my basically stock 2005 Z last year with the Stoptech kit without issue, only Time Attack though, basically 1min courses with 100 cones to get through... What about the Stoptech Slotted rotors? I have the aluminium 2 piece rotor/hats so I can change from the drilled pretty easy. The pads are for the daily driving part for the time being, plan on more aggressive setup when I hit the track duties. As for tires I have 305/35-18's on order for the back and plan to stick the 275/35-18 up front but those won't be here until June so by that time I'll need new tires. (Toyo dealer here in Cayman, order coming from Japan, check www.automotiveart.com).

I'll look into a better EMS setup this week.

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you did a single exhaust you could save some weight.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
zix07

wide tires 275 F&R with a 17 x 10 and 17 x 9 might save you some weight, I'm setting my car up for the track as well but in the limits of a daily driver and thats the set up im running 5 zigen fn01rc with falken azenis tires, but im going with a JWT twin turbo set up due to the fact the DE motors are hard to make real good power with simple stuff. I'm also running the single exhaust set up from JIC. So GL Man
Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 PM
zix07

not to wide though cuz then you'll lose your steering response this isn't drag
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Reyes5937

I would lose the DC headers, APS TP and duel exhaust. And look into the long tube headers that sg motorsport are developing. Also get a custom exhaust with a 2.5 inch Y pipe that meet to a 3.5 inch single exit exhaust. I feel it has more potential for max performance than a dual exhaust and the weight savings for sure too.

I would also look into the ITB from jenvey. Tons of power for the top end waiting to be used. But this is just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 AM
FaddaWayne

The APS stuff has been on since 2006 so I'll likely start out with those and go for a single setup later. The car should be running within a few weeks with the first race at the end of March so the long tube headers will be on the menu once they hit the market. The Volk RE's are in the garage, reason I went for 18's was the future thought of bigger brakes and having to upgrade wheels again, they are very light however. I'm a big proponent of reduced rotational mass; every 1 pound of rotational is 4lb static, so light wheels, pulleys, flywheel and even rotors.

ITB's drool...definitely on the menu for future NA nirvana...

Keep it coming, this is great stuff...

And ThreeFiveZero, read through your thread, I'm excited to hear the outcome of your build. GL to you as well...
Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 AM
FaddaWayne

SG Motorsports Long Tube Headers/Exhaust...WHOA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2h0JTq2fk
Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
FaddaWayne

Anyone have any experience with the AEM EMS? This was suggested by a local tuner/competitor and my brother that's running a 700hp drag Civic... Comments versus Technosquare or other?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

I would go with a utec or the HKS FCON(not the VPRO)
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
FaddaWayne

Gents, what about Haltech VQ35DE Platinum PnP EMS 2003-06 Nissan 350z/G35 #16372 from Sharif@Forged Performance, my problem here is the HKS unit needs an HKS Pro Dealer of which we do not have one here in Cayman. The Utec I've read mixed reviews of hence my thought on the Technosquare to get started but you guys have shed the light on the obvious flaw of not being able to tune the car...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FaddaWayne
Anyone have any experience with the AEM EMS? This was suggested by a local tuner/competitor and my brother that's running a 700hp drag Civic... Comments versus Technosquare or other?
there is no plug and play offered for the Z

the Haltech is your best bet if you can afford it, but the UTEC would be more than enough (I ran it on my car, got to 320 whp on it, and am only now switching out of necessity for my next step of upgrades)
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
FaddaWayne

What about the UpRev Osiris Tuner option?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Vader007

OK this is just my two cents:
Save your self some mony and get the Cusco LSD, Crawford long tube headers, new Motordyne modular exhaust, the tallboy is nice but again you can save some $ and get the motordyne lower and spacer, Injected performance solid motor mounts, SPL solid diff bushings, GT Spec fender braces and 4 point under bar, get a rev up oil pump, nismo long wheel studs, get a Stop Tech big brake kit for the front dont screw around with the upgrade packages, and one more tip.....DONY BUY MEGAN ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
FaddaWayne

I like the Cusco RS, quite a bit cheaper than the Quaiffe, just chose the Quaiffe due to past experience, but if you feel the Cusco RS has the edge it happens to be one of the parts I have on a short list to purchase so excellent timing. Unfortunately I already have the DC's, the APS stuff, and funny enough I ordered the GT braces this evening before your post. The Megan mounts are also not purchased so I'll go for the IP mounts and the SPL bushings tomorrow, but I already have the ST upgrade kit, I was planning on selling some of these things as I move to more serious parts so we're on the same page.

On the MREV2, I have that coming and was going to also put in the Skunk 5/8" carbon spacer along with keeping the APS, do you think this is overkill on the intake side?

Very happy to get all these insights prior to completing this project. Think I'm only between the Osiris and full Haltech now.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Vader007

No its not overkill, you made a lot of good choices, just trying to bo of some help.

Good luck
Jerry
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Lawy'dU

loose the teins and the edfc. Teins are not great on these cars and the edfc isn't legal in any series. Get yourself a set of custom stance coilovers and call it a day.

you also will want a set of ARP wheel studs, some hubcentric spacers, loose the reflash and go with an EMS, loose the hotchkis and get either 350evo or cusco sway bars, go with slotted not drilled rotors....

Last edited by Lawy'dU; 02-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
FaddaWayne

Ok guys, just wanted to say thank you for all the insight, ordered just about everything now just tossing around the cost of the Haltech versus the Osiris at the moment and should have enough research done this week to make a final decision.

We are actually a Tein dealer so the Mono's are on the car already. Will comment on the outcome in a few weeks when we get it all together. The EDFC is allowed down here so no worries there. No plans on competing in the US at this point. Hotchkis is also on the car; seem to be doing a good job so will stick with those for the time being. When I upgrade the brakes I'll go to Slotted. I'll also post the full list of actual mods once everything is complete.

Quick Reply: NA Track/Time Attack Build